logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DRIFTER_015  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:39:46 PM(UTC)
DRIFTER_015

Groups: Registered

"I'm in the process of running my first wash and have a couple of questions.
I have 23 liter washes that are identical 3 kg dark brown sugar, 2.7 liters of $$$$ store bought cooking molasses, 100 gm bakers yeast, 1 tsp yeast nutrients, 1 tsp lemon juice. Both were made at the same time and both fermented quite vigorously for the first day or so. The first wash finished in 5 days and the second (now 6 days old) is just about finished. Fermentation room temps are high 60's to low 70's.

Not to the questions:
1/ Do these fermentation times seem short, long, just right?
2/ What should the wash smell like when it's done?
When they were new they smelled sort of sickly sweet (from the molasses I guess) and now they smell sort of like a strong wine smell bordering on vinegary.

Since I'm on a roll one more question, when doing a stripping run should I be running it fast, slow or somewhere in between?
I know that the spirit run should be low and slow but don't know if the stripping run should be the same or faster. And if faster, how fast? Steady stream?

Thanks for putting up with my newby questions. BigGrin
"
Offline Hokey  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2013 8:55:09 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Drifter, To me the times seem just bit short. Especially at those temps. Not to worry though. Did you take specific gravity (SG) readings at beginning and end? You are probably not smelling vinegar just the molasses and alcohol which is what you want. Stripping runs can be as fast or slow as you want. Faster is more logical to save time. All you are doing is reducing the volume of wash by getting all the etho and some of the other stuff also. A steady stream is fine as long as your condenser is knocking down ALL of the vapor. Spirit run, as you have probably read, as slow as you can stand. Collect in small containers, cover with paper towels and an elastic and make cuts in the next day or even two. I collect 1/2 pt at a time.

Have fun, Be safe
Offline DRIFTER_015  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2013 12:16:42 PM(UTC)
DRIFTER_015

"Thanks for the info Hokey.
Thought it might have fermented a little on the fast side, but the recipe I used said it should ferment in 4-8 days with 3kg sugar and 3L molasses.
I'm still waiting on my Brewhaus order so I don't have my measuring tools yet. So no SG readings on this batch.
Should be getting my stuff in the next week as it is in the sorting plant in Chicago and it's next stop will be in Canada. :)
I was planning on collecting nice and slow for the spirit run and have 3 X 1 dozen pint jar sets numbered and ready for action during my distilling runs.
I also have 18 X 1 liter jars for aging and stripping runs. I want to pick up some barrels when I go on vacation in February.
I have some 19 liter plastic carboys for feints and dunder storage as well. Cool"
Offline googe  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:58:20 PM(UTC)
googe

lots of rums ferment out quickly , the smell sounds right, and should.not taste sweet. strip as fast as your condenser can handle it like hokey said. I used to do spirit runs on my pot at a broken stream rate, toothpick size. if you like a stronger rum you can do a.slow single spirit run.
Offline Wuglar  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:23:53 PM(UTC)
Wuglar

I have found using the yeast nutrients has moved up fermenting times on my end.

I have found it helpful using a hydrometer to find the specific abv % of my wash/mash.
That way I know for sure when it is done.