logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tracyman0111  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 9:51:15 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Groups: Registered

"Hey all--

I make an incredibly smooth corn meal neutral on my PSII, generally ends up being 150-170 proof. Skill-wise, I've just recently gotten my drink to the point where I don't mind letting anyone try it (out of the experimental stage, that is). I've tried many different soaks in attempts to throw some flavor in, from Jolly Ranchers, to Lemon Drops, to strawberries and other fruit (right now I have 4 excellent quarts soaking frozen blueberries); my issue is that the coloring will ALWAYS carry over, but I've never really had any flavor carry-over. What can I do or add to throw in some flavor? Personally, I could sip on this stuff all by itself, it's that smooth. But I'd like to have some variations for people to pass around on those evenings when I throw some wood in the old fire pit out back BigGrin"
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 10:02:43 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
why don't you try oaking it. Makes everything smoother with a nice taste
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 12:24:51 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
why don't you try oaking it. Makes everything smoother with a nice taste
Aye, Listen to Diesel, truth he does speak Wink You can usually get some good toasted french oak at the beer brew store. A table spoon or so a pint and shake it/aerate it every few days... Ummm Good

An example below after one months time...It was much darker the 2nd month...Now, I have a few new ones building as this is no more... Wink
RCRed attached the following image(s):
3rd_gen_oaked_Sf.jpg (205kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:19:57 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

What kind of actual flavor does this give it? I've heard of this a lot but never tried it. The 4 quarts I mentioned that I had soaking in blueberries, I figured out something pretty good with them. They turned out so dark you can barely see through them, and each quart I put in 1 tbsp. of white sugar, and 3 dropperfuls of blueberry candy flavoring essence. Turned out with a very good taste.
Offline dieselduo  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:34:51 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

it makes it like an aged whiskey with caramel and vanilla flavors depending on which oaks you use
Offline dieselduo  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:43:11 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

found this clown using JD chips which I use often http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZJhlLAKLM
Offline RCRed  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:50:45 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Well, as Diesel said.. It adds varying degree's of caramel and vanilla.. depends on what toasting, proof etc.. I read a few sources and Zymurgry Bob's section on aging at the pint and quart level with little strips/chips. I know stiller's here that do it using un-diluted and the microwave while my approach is 80 proof with jest over a tablespoon of medium toast oak, agitated twice a week for two months. It's a palate for your own brush stroke..
Offline Wuglar  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 6:52:11 PM(UTC)
Wuglar

Originally Posted by: Tracyman0111 Go to Quoted Post

I've tried many different soaks in attempts to throw some flavor in, from Jolly Ranchers, to Lemon Drops, to strawberries and other fruit (right now I have 4 excellent quarts soaking frozen blueberries); my issue is that the coloring will ALWAYS carry over, but I've never really had any flavor carry-over. What can I do or add to throw in some flavor?

I've been flavoring with fruit also. I found my strawberry worked a lot better when I threw some sugar in with it. I also did blueberries and some sugar. I did get some flavor carry over but not as much as I did with the black and strawberries. I also took some cinnamon red hot hard candy and made a sort of Fireball. My brothers can not get enough of it. lol

I just finished a run of corn whiskey tonight though. I had have bought a 1 pound bag of medium char oak chips. And plan on turning this batch into an actual whiskey.

I plan on making my version of a Baily's Irish cream but not so much Irish and a lot more American. lol
Offline poppy-cob  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:23:43 AM(UTC)
poppy-cob

Hey Guys....I've been messin around with flavoring my likker to, like the Red Hot candies and it turned out really good and last night my wife brought home some Butterscotch candies and told me to try them........so I stuck them in the old coffee bean grinder, turned them to powder, mixed in some sugar and melted em down in a pot and tossed in my hooch (100 proof) set it outside to cool and DANG is it good. So as the night goes on I'm drinking my hooch mixed with Tang like I always do and the little woman is enjoying her Butterscotch stuff and she see's that drink is bout gone so like she always does for me she makes me another only thing is she mixed the Butterscotch with my Tang and OMG!!!.....you have no idea how good that was. I got to be honest, I think this drink would put a Long Island Iced Tea to shame........