logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zach080891  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:07:19 AM(UTC)
zach080891

Groups: Registered

Ok so my setup is the brewhaus 15 gal kettle with the high capacity 3" column packed with copper mesh. I have been running on propane on a bayou banjo burner. My mash that i have been running has been really good as I used to brew beer. The first run I made was really good everything turned out fine. On my second run I did everything exactly the same and the whole run tasted and smelled like tails. I assumed this was because the water to my condenser was warm by the end of the run. I thought that this could be corrected if I hooked my water supply up to the faucet on my next run that way I would get constant temperature ice cold water instead of recirculating the same 15 gallons or so using the pump. I am on my third run now and i have the condenser hooked up to the faucet and im having the exact same problem. When my column temp is 180, alcohol vapor has been spitting out the end uncondensed, as a result the distillate coming out is hot to the touch and undrinkable. Also this run I have been having trouble keeping my whole system at a constant temperature. What I mean by that is ill leave the propane on a constant temp and the system will fluctuate between 150 and 180. No drips (obviously) at 150 to gushing liquid and vapor at 180. And all of this is happening while supplying a consistent garden hose like flow of 40* water through the condenser. have never had these problems before and I have absolutely no idea why this is happening so any help anyone can give me on this would be awesome.. Thanks everyone
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:41:16 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The problem seems to be you are running to hot. After product starts coming out cut the heat back and adjust it to a few drops per second. Maybe check your regulator to see if you are getting a constant flow
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:29:34 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Zach,

Originally Posted by: zach080891 Go to Quoted Post
alcohol vapor has been spitting out the end uncondensed, as a result the distillate coming out is hot to the touch and undrinkable.

You need to resolve this problem before you run your rig again as this is a potentially dangerous situation.

+1 dieselduo but I'll add something:

Make sure you don't have any obstructions in your product condenser on the coolng water side (that includes attaching any valves in the wrong position) or leaving the valve closed (when you believe that it's open). In most situations you shouldn't have any valve in line with the product condenser ... just let it run full flow. The only valve you need is for the column (reflux) condenser.

I've found the liebig on the HC to be fairly capable. So I would imagine that your burner would have to run very hot to see that behavior. Regardless, don't mess around with alcohol vapor. If you're releasing vapor, shutdown and get that problem resolved asap. We want you to stick around and enjoy the hobby with us!

BTW: If you see vapor escaping from the product condenser, there's two things you should do immediately: (1) flame out/power off, (2) increase the water flow to your column condenser to full flow.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline zach080891  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:53:30 PM(UTC)
zach080891

I am aware that this is a very dangerous situation. I cut it off for exactly that reason. I had my water coming out of my faucet in my barn so it was very cold and at full flow the whole time. I was not running the burner very high at all, id say around 175 degrees so its not like I was on full blast. I cook food and boil water all the time on that burner so I know how to use it. My theory that I came up with after analyzing the situation is that when I packed the column full of copper mesh maybe a roll or two was a little too tight and it was creating a back pressure. Once the vapor made it though the blockage and into the condenser the leibig wasnt able to cool the sudden flash of vapor which would explain why it was gushing out as well as steaming. This would also explain the sudden rise and fall in temperature at the top of the column even though I left the propane low around 175 and didnt adjust it
Offline zach080891  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:14:39 PM(UTC)
zach080891

So I guess my new question is if this turns out to be the problem can I refire my mash later or tomorrow or is it just wasted?
Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:25:11 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It is possible that your packing is too tight, and that is choking the column. What happens is there is not enough space for rising vapor and refluxing liquid, and you essentially get a blockage of liquid. As pressure builds the vapor will hit a point where it breaks through and you suddenly have a rush of vapor rising to the top of the column, and then the process starts all over again. Reducing the heat input can help as you will create less vapor, which will 'free up some space'.

There should be no issue with starting back up tomorrow.
Offline zach080891  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:12:21 PM(UTC)
zach080891

I wasnt sure on the technicalities behind it but that's pretty much what I figured was happening after I ruled out all the other possibilities. When I reduced the heat input the temp would rapidly drop down to around 140 and stay there. It was really odd but lesson learned. Thanks everyone for the help, hopefully this helps someone else out too
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2013 7:06:42 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Post some pics so we can see what exactly we are disscussing and how to help you with your issues.
Offline zach080891  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:01:13 AM(UTC)
zach080891

I re-ran everything the other day after I re packed the column and it worked just like it should. The column was packed too tight near the bottom and was choking the column leaving no room for rising vapor or falling condensing liquid. As a result like Admin said the vapor would break through and cause a sudden temperature increase (from 150 to 180) instantly at the top of the column and start spitting out distillate really fast, but then would rapidly decrease after about a minute down to about 150 all without ever touching the propane valve.
Heeler when all of this was happening it never crossed my mind to take any pictures so I dont have any to post but I tried to explain it the best I could. Hope this helps clarify what exactly was happening.