logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline chachabella  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 6:15:34 PM(UTC)
chachabella

Groups: Registered

I have recently moved home, after 20 years away on the east coast. I am so very much enjoying time spent with my family, now that I am back, especially my Dad! We were talking about taking up distilling, as a shared hobby. Actually I was talking about it for me and the Mr, and then Dad offer his barn and tasting services Blushing So I am here to learn what I can. I already have a large excel file of vocabulary I am collecting. Learning the language I figure is the first step.

I am thinking we will start with a 15 gallon boiler with the Essential Extractor PSII- Column with Connector. I would like to learn schnapps and brandies. Dad wants whisky and scotch. Husband wants vodka.

But for my brandies... don't I need copper somewhere?
Offline Biscuit  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 8:41:47 PM(UTC)
Biscuit

Welcome to the Forum. Got a lot of info here. Copper mess is included when you order the Complete package with the 15 gal boiler. Great System. You will have fun with it.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 12:43:22 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi chacha,

Welcome!

Originally Posted by: chachabella Go to Quoted Post
we will start with a 15 gallon boiler with the Essential Extractor PSII- Column

The PSII is a great rig.

With the 15 gallon boiler, you should seriously consider spending the extra $$ to get the PSII HC. And as biscuit posted, the rig should come with copper mesh. You'll want to use some of it for everything, not just your brandy. When the PSII is configured as a pot still, most of us will use one (maybe two) copper plugs stuffed in loosely.

It sounds like you're starting (or returning to) a family tradition. It's a very cool and very unique hobby ... I think you will all enjoy it. Just remember: don't sell, don't tell!

Regards,
--JB"
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:51:58 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Please tell me about the name chachabella please. Sounds 1/2 Spanish and Italian. :)
Offline chachabella  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:39:43 PM(UTC)
chachabella

I am a retired professional dancer... cha cha cha!
And my dogs name is Bella... :)

And as for the HC. Please tell me if I am right. The regular one is 2inch diameter. The HC is 3. And I understand that 3 will double your volume. So that is great. But I think somewhere I read that the 3 also gives you slightly lower quality? Or maybe I misunderstood.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:54:06 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"I can play, but I can't dance! My hands and fingers move pretty effortlessly and the timing feels instinctive until I have to actually move around on a dance floor. I would swear my feet grow at least two inches. Blushing But I can still whip the young lads doing carioca (as in football drill ... not Astaire & Rogers) ... go figure! I never gave the athletic side of dancing much credit until I took a real close look at the ""Sixteen Going on Seventeen"" scene in The Sound of Music movie (1965). That's a fine display of athleticism in dancing ... I'd dare even the most fit d-backs to try that without sweating bullets.

Anyway ...

I don't know what the actual difference is in terms of collection rate between the PSII and the PSII HC ... maybe Rick can chime in. But I know that you can easily get to 93% with the HC ... and higher if you run things slow. So you won't be sacrificing quality. Both columns are well built ... I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:44:32 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: chachabella Go to Quoted Post
I am a retired professional dancer... cha cha cha!
And my dogs name is Bella... :)

And as for the HC. Please tell me if I am right. The regular one is 2inch diameter. The HC is 3. And I understand that 3 will double your volume. So that is great. But I think somewhere I read that the 3 also gives you slightly lower quality? Or maybe I misunderstood.

I grew up in an area where there were a lot of Spaniards and I loved to cha cha and merengue. "poco pelo cha cha cha' Great memories. :) :)
I have both and because i run extra slow both in fermenting and distilling I find little difference in %.
Offline chachabella  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:40:01 AM(UTC)
chachabella

Well that's funny, John, because I have always been super gifted with dance and was lucky to make a nice career performing. But at one time I took up guitar as a side hobby and I total sucked! My fingers were so lost. My musicality and rhythm went straight out the window. I suppose there is no need for everyone to be perfect at everything... Or there would only be a need for one of us on earth at a time!

So in order to keep the percent and quality up on a HC, one needs to run it slowly. Then what would be the purpose of having it at all? Because I thought the purpose was to double the capacity and therefore speed? Thanks for the help!
Offline Biscuit  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:26:30 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

My experience is running slow doesn't mean low volume of product. I still get a nice production running at a slow rate. The HC gives more volume of distillate. Bigger diameter, Higher production. hope that helps

Biscuit
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:08:02 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Biscuit Go to Quoted Post
My experience is running slow doesn't mean low volume of product. I still get a nice production running at a slow rate. The HC gives more volume of distillate. Bigger diameter, Higher production. hope that helps

Biscuit
Agreed.. I learned here and with my experiences that low and slow is awesome. About the only thing I sorta want is a sight glass, or maybe an inline bubble plate w/sight glass. I have been told that that would increase output further.

As to guitar, I spend a lot of time in a week on one... JB - it's interesting that you think yer feet grow.. The boys were after me a whole year to sit still on stage - so much I had to get a clip on mic for for Maybelle(my Martin) because I can hardly stand still once the rhythm locks in... It's been a lot of fun having plenty of practice time during runs and waiting to switch containers Wink

Happy Sunday and seasons greetings to all..
Offline chachabella  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2014 6:34:44 AM(UTC)
chachabella

Opened up my biggest gift last night from husband... and there she was... 15 gallon PSII hc.
We have spent the past year just reading and hope to actually play with it this weekend, just a cleaning run of water, then 50/50 water vinegar, then a cheap wine run :) Very excited to finally get started!
Merry Christmas BigGrin
Offline dieselduo  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2014 7:53:48 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
wow what a great Christmas gift. Something to enjoy with the family for many years to come