logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline REDMAN314  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:12:01 PM(UTC)
REDMAN314

Groups: Registered

Ok I did the Sweet Feed recipe I use 6lbs of sugar, about 4.5 inches deep in my 5gal buck of sweet feed, and about 1cup of rye. My boiling temp was 160 let it simmer for about 1hr. Next I pour the wash into my fermentation buck after about 1.5hrs temp was below 80 I pitch my yeast (turbo yeast). After about a day my wash stop fermentation. So is this normal or I did something wrong. Thanks
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:42:15 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Umm.. You used a turbo yeast on a SF? Turbo's are meant to consume sugar washes (or so I thought) and not good on grain washes.

Also, did you do a iodine test agin the cook to see if the starches had been fully converted to sugars before you broke off the cook? (Ya draw a drop or three of the wash onto a clean plate and put one drop of Iodine on it and test the color reaction).

The recipe I use for SF calls for 7lbs of sugar, but again, that's relative - One should add more sugar of the SG (Specific gravity) is lower than 1.080, or add a tad more water if she's too high...

for sweet feed's, I use A whiskey yeast called "Prestige Whiskey yeast w/AG" by Gert Strand. After 9 generations it's still kicking buttock.

What do you do? - Well, for starters, check the gravity. Then pitch some more yeast if you are still waay up there. If not, and you are below 1.000, it's done.

But all it probably did was eat the sugars and did very little w/your grains.
Offline REDMAN314  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:01:19 AM(UTC)
REDMAN314

No I didn't check to see if the starches had been fully converted. man I knew I was missing something that's y I love this site people are willing to help other. Thanks again RCRed. I didn't know there was different kinds of yeast you had to use. Man I got a lot to learn.
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:05:44 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Heya RedMan

There's a whole page of possibilities here:
http://www.brewhaus.com/...stillers-Yeast-C103.aspx

Here is the yeast I was speaking of:
http://www.brewhaus.com/...-Yeast-with-AG-P846.aspx

Happy Holiday...
Offline Tracyman0111  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 2:24:13 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Hey Redman--

I've been around this forum for about a year and a half now, and have always learned something new every time I visit. I just recently graduated away from simple sugar mashes up into grain, and have visited this site often for tips. I played around with cornmeal a bit, but didn't have good results from it, so last night I put together my first one using cracked corn, and this is the first I've heard about the iodine test. So, you ain't the only one Cool