logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tracyman0111  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:48:12 PM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Groups: Registered

"Hey all---

Thus far, have only done sugar washes (although I will say I've turned out surprisingly high and tasty proofs), but I'm currently fermenting my first corn meal mash. I know, I know, everyone talks about how the meal turns into a giant clump, which it definitely does, but I keep it churned up (gently) with a drill and long paint stirrer twice a day or so. Its smelling super strong for being two days old, I'm stoked to run it!! I actually have two 7 gal. batches of the exact same mash going, one I'm going to run pot, the other I'm going to run reflux, just because I'm curious.

Anyhow, sorry to ramble, but I was just wanting some ideas/opinions on racking this mash into my kettle, since I obviously won't be able to pour it. I was thinking maybe a hand siphon pump, or maybe my electric pump from my cooling water bin?

Travis"
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:37:36 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Once she settles, I suggest a racking cane, or an auto siphon Like...

http://www.homebrewhq.co...ails.aspx?productID=1826 - I banded a coffee filter to the end with a mini-clamp on a corn meal wash - Bad Idea.. Worked ok intially, but bound up from the fine particulate pretty quickly and lost suction.

After you rack it with the auto siphon, I still recommend strainin' it thru a fine cheese cloth before you run it.

Cheers..