logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline abear  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 5:53:10 AM(UTC)
abear

Groups: Registered

"WHen running reflux, I normally crank the heat on high and adjust the flow with regulating the water through the reflux chamber.

I have never ran anything as pot still. From what I read, I dont crank the heat all the way high?

Can someone give me a ""play by play"" on how to run a pot still? I have a 8 gal mile high still and want to run my mash as a pot still to get the good flavors.

Any help is appreciated!"
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 7:22:14 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Are you talking a stripping run or a Spirit run?

Spirit pot still runs: Here is my experience. I use a Blichmann Floor burner (propane). I put the heat up on med-high ( more towards high) and watch that column temp, as well as measure the boiler temp via a laser/infrared gun (like the Heating/cooling guys use). When I see I am within about 25 degrees shy of my foretasted etoh boiling point(from the column temp reading), I drop the heat to very low and creep into the distillate zone. My boiler temp then is 10-15 degree's warmer, depending on where you measure with the temp gun. So, I split the difference, and lower that heat early.

From what I was taught here it's better to go low and low on a spirit run.

Stripping runs are different. More heat, take it fast because later you are going to re-distill it low and slow.

Cheers
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:47:23 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

another take. I really don't read much into the temperature when pot stilling. On a stripping run. I crank up the heat almost all the way open. Oh i have a 15 and an 8 gallon boiler. Once it starts dripping i adjust the heat as to maintain a steady flow (pencil lead). I collect everything but fores into half gallon mason jars and keep for my spirit run. On my spirit run I usually use my 8 gallon boiler i pretty much do the same however once i start seeing it drip i cut the heat back and wait another 30 minutes or so then i adjust the heat again as to maintain a light flow almost a drip thats when i collect is pint jars to make my cuts. The only time i look at the temp when running a pot still is when i'm nearing the end of the run, the temp will shoot way up. That's when i shut everything down. Good luck.
Offline chachabella  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:00:15 PM(UTC)
chachabella

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
I put the heat up on med-high ( more towards high) and watch that column temp, as well as measure the boiler temp via a laser/infrared gun (like the Heating/cooling guys use). When I see I am within about 25 degrees shy of my foretasted etoh boiling point(from the column temp reading), I drop the heat to very low and creep into the distillate zone. My boiler temp then is 10-15 degree's warmer, depending on where you measure with the temp gun. So, I split the difference, and lower that heat early

This is great! I am going to try doing this!
Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 6:35:24 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chachabella Go to Quoted Post
This is great! I am going to try doing this!
Well, they taught me this here! - Lots of good folks and know-how. Half the time I feel like I'm parroting what I've learned here. I just took the low and slow and then watched how my rig performed each time I ran a wash. After about 5 runs (that worked well w/o my mistakes) I started to get it that it doesn't require a lot of fiddlin' with at all once you get the equilibrium established :)

(I really try and not sound/be a geek but even with therapy it persists...*sigh*)
Offline chachabella  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 6:49:01 AM(UTC)
chachabella

When we bought our house my dad immediately came over with his infrared gun and started checking windows and walls. Then he gave us one because he was so excited whenever he used his. Ours has sat in a drawer in the basement work room. Dad will be very happy we have actually found a use for ours!