logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wannapepsi  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 8:29:49 AM(UTC)
wannapepsi

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone. Long time scene ive posted, Anyways my question is it bad too slow down fermentation. I usually have my mash a little on the warm side. Fermentation i do takes around 5-6 days. ive done over a dozen this way and had good results. Its getting colder now where i live. Last winter i put my mash by a heat register too keep warm. This is the first time ive put my mash down stairs where is cool. Its been about 14 days fermentation and still going. I am using a turbo yeast but with the temp so cool its slowed down. Witch is what i wanted. Ive got two mash going on. One corn and one apple. Any ideas if i should warm them up a little? Or just let them be cool? they are not stuck fermenting. Just slow.
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 8:58:04 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I see slow ferments here, but that's rather intentional, as the room I use is always cool, about 76-78 and lower in the fall and winter months (If one can call it that) here. I have read that slower, healthy ferments are good as the yeast will not produce off flavors. I have also read that slower ferms can also lead to infections.. So, for me it's a balance.

I have had a few that ran 14 days and another 3 to clear. If she's a bubblin, it's still happenin'.. You can also take a hydrometer reading and see what the gravity is too. That'd be a sign, I'd say... BigGrin

Cheers
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 9:50:17 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Most of mine last between 14 and 18 days but I don't use turbos because of the quality it makes. I'll sacrifice quantity for quality any day. Guess it would be good for fuel though
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 10:32:12 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Nice to hear from you again. I ferment in my kitchen and this time of year it is usually 65 degrees. Ferments take anywhere from 12 to 16 days. If it gets colder than that I use a brewbelt. I believe cool fermenting is better than hot. I'm with Dieselduo. No more turbo's for me. Quality over speed and quantity.
Offline wannapepsi  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 10:56:14 AM(UTC)
wannapepsi

"
Originally Posted by: Hokey Go to Quoted Post
Nice to hear from you again. I ferment in my kitchen and this time of year it is usually 65 degrees. Ferments take anywhere from 12 to 16 days. If it gets colder than that I use a brewbelt. I believe cool fermenting is better than hot. I'm with Dieselduo. No more turbo's for me. Quality over speed and quantity.

Sounds good. Whats yeast you using? Ive been alco for over a year now. Always have a good brew."
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 12:08:43 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
... Guess it would be good for fuel though
Durn near the only use.. imho
Offline FAQs  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 11:39:45 AM(UTC)
FAQs

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
Durn near the only use.. imho

I was wander about a ferment I have had goin for close to 2 mounths,it has not locked just in a cool shop and I ant had time to keep up with it do to work. should I pitch it out or what, I do have time this weekend to run if it is still good.Anty advice would be great. thanks