logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline 1Biker77  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 04, 2013 12:19:31 PM(UTC)
1Biker77

Groups: Registered

"Alrighty, could use some expert advice here...
I couldn't manage to braze my copper fitting in so I figured I would have the local shop do it for me. I purchased a copper female 1"" fitting to be brazed from Lowes and gave both the fitting and keg to the shop. The shop calls me about 40 min later to ask why I didn't use a stainless fitting, I responded that I couldn't find one in town. He said he had one in stock, then asked ""1"", right?""
When I arrive to pick it up I notice that the fitting looked a little small. Sure enough, it is a 3/4 thread. Not sure what to do at this point. Can it be saved somehow? Or do I need to run a 3/4 stainless bolt to fill it and start from scratch?"
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 04, 2013 1:10:33 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

measure it yourself-- I screwed up one of the times by measuring in correctly??
Offline 1Biker77  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 04, 2013 2:55:03 PM(UTC)
1Biker77

Not sure what you mean Scotty. I did purchase a 1' female copper thread fitting. The shop offered a "1' inch" stainless fitting. What I ended up welded in was a 3/5 thread npt. Can a 3/4 thread be made use of? or am I going to just have to fill it in?
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:06:09 AM(UTC)
scotty

I measured 1 inch stainless fitting and I thought it read 3/4 inch. so I ordered a 1 1/4 in stainless fitting. I was mixed up because knew/know nothing. It the ss fitting you have. marked 1 inch npt?? Sorry that I am not more help.
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 2:56:14 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
why wouldn't you go back and say since you did it wrong plz fix what you did wrong. Or set it up for them to weld in a 1" half coupling and order it yourself!!!
Offline Zymurgy Bob  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 7:17:12 AM(UTC)
Zymurgy Bob

"I live in a rural area, and while we have pretty good hardware stores considering, for anything specific like, say, a 1"" 304 stainless half coupling, or any of the copper plumbing parts I use, I go straight to McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/...al-pipe-fittings/=p90chm

Prices are good, service is good, and I don't have to go to the big city and drive around."
Offline googe  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:25:10 AM(UTC)
googe

What's the fitting for?. Element? Drain?. I would have returned it and said fix it. You could out a reducer on if your doing a valve and only have a 1" valve.
Offline 1Biker77  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:18:46 PM(UTC)
1Biker77

I ended up taking it back this morning, and gave them the heater element with it. They ordered a new fitting and will be ready for pickup tomorrow afternoon. My first thought was to use a copper reducer, but the element wouldn't clear the 3/4 fitting. Just glad the shop didn't hassle me about it. After all this headache, I find out today that one of my good buddies at the office used to be a welder, has a TIG setup AND stainless rod at his house... Oh well. I still haven't burned in a drain so I can have him do that one, lol.