logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 1:30:28 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Groups: Registered

"I have three 7 gallon fermenters out in my garage that I started a couple of weeks ago. I opened the lids tonight to get a reading to see if it was done fermenting. I got an FG of .098 so it's ready and smells like it has in the past however it has this white film on top. It almost looks like dry powder. Is this safe to distill? What caused this? I'm thinking maybe the heat. We've had a few hot days last week. Could that have done it. I'm planning to distill it tomorrow if you all think its safe. Heaven forbid I distill it drink it and turn sick. What are your thought?
Thanks in advance -Johnny"
Offline Hokey  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 1:16:30 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi JohnnyA. I had the same thing happen on the fourth generation of the UJSSM I am working on. I removed it as best I could and ran it anyway. I saw no changes in the distillate and it did not happen on the subsequent batches. I say RUN IT.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 3:38:09 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Thanks, Hokey I ran it Saturday. It came out looking and smelling normal. I planning to distill the whole run again this coming weekend to refine it a bit more. I don't know what caused that to happen. I did notice a lot of corn cob pieces in this bag of cracked corn that I bought so maybe that's it. Or it's the temperature changes from the fermentors being out in the garage. Idk.
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 4:08:29 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Thats coincidental. I am doing spirit run of 5 generations on thurs. Good luck
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 5:42:32 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

5 generations? how much did you collect from each run? For me out of 15 +/- gallons I get roughly 3 gallons. I water it down 20% then do my spirit run. I started my third Gen UJSM this past Saturday. Whats highest Generation you go with this? For me it's been five i believe. I'd have to check my logs. Its funny how the taste changes with each generation.
Offline Hokey  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 12:04:23 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

H JohnnyA, i have been doing 7 gal ferments. This is only the second time making UJSSM. Both have been 5 generations. each strip I get one and one half gals +/-. I probably should strip longer (not sure) but time is usually an issue. The flavor definitely changes. A lot more body as they progress. I am planning to cut all 5 strips to 30 % and run it. I have read people go up to twice that number of generations but I don't have that much patience. And I find myself currently running short of vodka so I need to start a Birdwatchers or maybe Wineo's this time. I'll let you know how it goes.
Offline Hokey  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 9:39:02 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

OK, Here's how it went. Spirit run with UJSSM. Started with 17 1/4 ltrs of 60%. From 5 generations of stripped UJSSM. Which also included 2 ltrs of feints from first spirit run. Added H2O to equal 34.5 ltrs of 30%. PSIIHC in pot mode with two internal elements on to start. Ran coolant hoses to my pool from my pool house. Reached 100 degrees in 40 min. From there it jumps up quickly so I unplugged top element and put RSC on variable for lower element. Took the first pint+ and marked it poison. Collected 26 pint jars 1/2 full. Except for #'s 7-8-9 which were full figuring I was definitely in the hearts. Jar 1 was 83% and jar 26 was 74%. I collected the rest of the tails into 2 - 1.75 jars for later use up to 197 degrees. Made cuts this afternoon using the sniff test and will only age jars 6 - 22. Giving me a little over a gallon of what I anticipate will be around 78-79%. Or just over 2 gals 90 proof.
Probably could do better but not bad for the second time.