logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Alli  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:51:24 AM(UTC)
Alli

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"Don't be afraid to follow-up. People look at what is in front of them rather than what is in the pile on the corner of the desk. I emiled 3 VA Congressmen yesterday and got the following replies:

Senator Warner - I was told that an aid was looking into the federal and state distillation laws and would get back to me in 2 weeks or so.

Senator Kaine - An aid I spoke with previously wants to know if we have gotten any traction from other congressmen - he likes the idea and is looking for someone to team up with.

Congressman Whittman - Nothing yet

I call it being politely pushy. Alli."
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:18:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Alli,

Good point about following up- and great responses from those two! :)
Offline Alli  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 6:59:43 AM(UTC)
Alli

On Tuesday, September 24th, I made a follow-up call to Congressman Wittman's office reminding them that I had not gotten a response from my letter and emails.

Today I got a call form one of his aids. He is not in DC but knows all the folks in the DC office that can help. I am sending him our proposal and a brief history of our efforts to legalize hobby distilling. He pointed out that the liquor lobby will be our biggest enemy in this fight. He is sure they are watching this forum every day. They will try to tell Congress that our hobby is poisonous, a fire hazard, filling the streets with uninspected booze, and all of the other non-true myths out there. We will get prepared for that fight when it comes.

Follow-up calls work! They will respond when you ask. As ineffective as our Congress seems to be these days, they are very busy doing what they do, so you have to get their attention. Come on boys and girls, let's make our voices heard.

Alli
Offline Biscuit  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 9:54:59 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

We all need to step up the pace including myself. If not, It will be just a dream of what if. All we need to do is respond.
Offline Biscuit  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:37:24 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

Called Senator Hagen NC. My email was buried, the lady dug it out of the in mail and said she would follow up with. Called Senator Burr NC. Talked to William Glenn. He said a person has been assigned the proposal and will be in touch. Called Congressman Meadows of the 11th district.Talked to Adam Smith. He didn't find it but ask that email him directly and he would work with it. Zymurgy Bob, I enclosed your cover letter also to show we have people working on it from other parts of the country. Sent the contact list also to show the other Senators and Congressman that have been contacted
Offline Alli  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 5:15:05 AM(UTC)
Alli

Biscuit you da man.

Everyone, see how easy it is to follow up on your letters. We all know it is a zoo in DC right now, but there are other things in life besides political bickering. If you have not heard back by now it is because they got sidetracked, the letter got buried or whatever. A quick phone call will do wonders. Your representative are there to help you - you just have to remind them you have sent a request from which you have not gotten a response.

Biscuit, again thanks for the effort and the reply so we can all see that a few phone calls go a long way.

Alli
Offline Hokey  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:08:28 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Alli, I called Tom Kennedy and left msg.regarding packet I sent. I then called Sen. Ed Markey's office and the woman I spoke to could not find any info on receiving the packet. I told her what it was about and asked if I could re-send it and she said that would be fine. So I sent it again to Sen. Ed Markey and Rep. Stephen Lynch. It can't hurt, right?
Offline Alli  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 3:44:03 AM(UTC)
Alli

Hokey
Thanks for the follow-up. If you had not made a phone call you would never have known that the package you sent to Ed Markey had been lost. Thanks for your extra efforts.

Alli
Offline Hokey  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 06, 2013 4:08:06 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am beginning to think we are basically being ignored. Boo Hiss
However between being legal, being ignored and being in trouble, if legal is not possible, I'll take ignored all day.
Offline Alli  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 07, 2013 2:19:55 AM(UTC)
Alli

I am sure we are being ignored by some but not all. Congress is busier that a one armed paper hanger just trying to answer the phones. I tried to call an aid last week I had contacted previously and his VM box was full so I sent him an email and it took 2 days to get back to me. He said it was crazy in DC and he would get back to me as soon as he could but probably not until after the debt ceiling fight was over.

This fight over the health care law has come at a very unfortunate time for our efforts which are easy to put on the back burner. Once the current standoff is settled, however it is settled, it will be critical for all of us who have sent packages to our representatives to follow-up with them. It may mean resending them as you noted above.. It will also be critical for those who have been considering sending in packages but have just not done it yet to get them in the mail or email. If you don't have a color printer, email will work best.

Keep the faith my friend - It ain't over yet. Alli
Offline Snuffy  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 3:04:33 PM(UTC)
Snuffy

"Beginning with Rockefeller, Carnegie, and J.P. Morgan coming together to buy the presidency and install McKinley, and the follow-up of the banksters creating the Feral Reserve soon after, the U.S. has been a model of modern feudalism ever since. Mr. Rockefeller rather famously quipped that he wanted ""workers not thinkers"", so get with the program and quit thinkin' that there is a system of representative government that actually represents you . What it represents is the corporations that have purchased it. Their lawyers and lobbyists are the ones who craft the bills that our so-called ""representatives"" vote for... and then maybe read later. The whole point of their involvement is to limit access to the marketplace to none other than themselves. Small time independents and interlopers are persistently put upon by government regulation and compliance police to keep them from eroding away the foundations of their pimps' money pumps. It's sad and pathetic, but it's the truth.

The ""Honorable"" prostitutes that we send to Washington, to become millionaires, have no interest in doing anything but keeping their snout nuzzled against the public's teat... in other words, getting re-elected. The key to seeing that happen is to simply deliver the goods legislatively for their puppet-masters, while trying to refrain from getting caught texting pictures of their junk, or soliciting sex in public restrooms. Obviously it's a challenge that many are just not up to meeting. Sadly we watch old time, feel good, movies from the propaganda machine like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, hoping and thinking that maybe, just maybe, a real Mr. Smith will somehow appear, but alas... we continue to witness an unending stream of scorched wort and mulm rather than any cream of the crop.

The system is rigged, and it ain't in our favor. Bread and circus is all that they have any interest in seeing maintained. Keep the workers just alive enough that they can still manage to drag their buried in debt, failing health, selves back into work each week, after a weekend spent howling at the moon of self medication and diversion. Ever wonder why the major league sports franchises have been granted special exemption from the anti-trust laws that prevent monopolies? Welcome to the 21st Century's Rome. ""You deserve a break today"", so ""relax and enjoy"", it's Monday Night... ""is everybody ready for some football?!"" Welcome to the Coliseum, the gladiators will return after this station identification.
Why do ya think that the government ""education"" mills don't teach real history? Why do ya think that they don't teach people to think?

Keep writin' yer letters and emailing your ""representatives"", and when ya get tired of being waltzed around by yer Willy and or outright ignored, check out Open Congress and take a look see at who's money has bought and paid for the ""Honorable"" whores that you're appealing to. Remarkably they vote with astounding clarity where their real benefactors' interests are concerned, and this too is there for the reading... but then again, who has that kind of time these days?

http://www.opencongress.org/money_trail

Sorry to make my first post such a cynical downer, but that's the problem with reality... it is a persistently unavoidable bugger."
Offline Alli  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:18:33 AM(UTC)
Alli

I thought I would follow Snuffy's self described downer post with something much more positive.

Just before the "Shutdown" I sent a copy of our proposal to an aid to Congressman Wittman here in Virginia. When the poop hit the oscillator he told me it would have to wait until the dust settled (more like the poop settled if you ask me). I emailed him yesterday to see if he had a chance to look at our proposal to which he replied that he had read it 3 times! This guy is in a local office 20 miles from where I live and I have an appointment with him on Monday October 28th. I will report back on the details of our meeting.

The DC "Shutdown" or "Slowdown" or whatever you want to call it sure put a "Stopdown" to out efforts. Now it the perfect time to get on the phone, email, snailmail, or whatever your favorite means of communication and let your representatives hear form you. We don't want much other than the legalization of our hobby so we can practice our skills in the open without fear of federal interruption. Remember: Follow-up, follow-up, follow-up! It won't take long and it won't cost much! Lets git'er done. As always, if you have any questions, I will be happy to try to help. Contact me at this forum or at allibugger
yahoo.com.

Alli
Offline Biscuit  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:06:32 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

Melanie Matthews from Senator Burrs office called saying she could not open the proposal I sent though web site. Email directly to her. Followed up with her and she is looking at it now. Not much going on with Kay Hagen. Jesse with Mark Meadows said Adam Smith is with Homeland Security now and not at their office. Faxed a copy of proposal and Congressmen contacted to Jesse. I know they have hard copies in their hands
Offline Alli  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:38:45 AM(UTC)
Alli

Good job. Thanks for the follow-up. You and I seem to be the only ones working this thing right now.
Offline Biscuit  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:02:09 PM(UTC)
Biscuit

Called Melanie from Sen Burrs office. Doesn't look like he would or will sponsor the proposal cause he is not apart of the committees that deal with it(???). Jesse from Mark Meadows was heading in the same direction until I said something about Rep, Lewis and Price of the W & M committee and all of the other forum members that have contacted their Congressmen. He sounded up beat and more positive about our proposal. Will follow up in a week or two.
Offline admin  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:25:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
That's great! Thanks for the update, Biscuit.
Offline fatboi83  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:12:18 AM(UTC)
fatboi83

I have tried calling my reps offices and nbody ever answers the phone. No response to emails I send, nor any response back on the proposals that I faxed and mailed out. I even put a self addressed stamped envelope in every one I sent out.
Offline Biscuit  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:38:16 PM(UTC)
Biscuit

Keep the calls going. Somebody's got to be there at sometime. Hopefully you catch them there next time

Biscuit
Offline Alli  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:18:37 AM(UTC)
Alli

Biscuit's right - keep the calls going until you talk to someone. Remember that the guys that represent your congressional district work for you since you and others elected them. They may be overwhelmed, but they still have a job to do. When you do get them, be sympathetic to their position . Be nice. Try to get on a personal level at some point. You deserve a definitive response to your request. If the one you talk with can't answer your questions, find out who in their office is the one you need to talk with and ask that they call you back. This is why we called it The Squeaky Wheel - that's you!

Alli