logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RCRed  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 09, 2013 7:43:02 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
All

I have been asking a few I know here to help with a project I am working on for tracking and documenting how batches go. For those of us with APF's, we have reports we have to submit yearly. Being a lifelong programmer, and I cannot leave something manual alone, I came up with a concept based off my studies of the past two years attempting to learn this craft. As I crafted each of my early batches, I took a ton of notes and wrote them down on a pad. Now, since my dogs like to chew paper that has our scents, that led to some lost data on a few. As I progressed in my batches, I started seeing the collection of datum assuming a specific pattern each time as I went thru each phase of a batch - These kind of things will drive a programmer insane because manual patterns need to be automated so man has more time to do what he does best... distill Wink

I have been working a little while on a proof of concept computer application that will run on a windows system and provides management of inventory, recipe's batches, ferments, distilliations, collections, etc. Once cata is collected, it can be summarized, charted, etc to provide trendlines and give good analytical views in a variety of ways to help manage the long term data. it also allows a owner/operator to manage inventories, recipes, suppliers, costs, cost per collection unit, etc.

It does NOT use the internet, all data is local, and password protected. Moreover, the final version will employ distinct user level security to keep RKW's (Rouge Keyboard Wanderer's) from stumbling into the application or it's data.

I have a basic model up and working. It is at a point that within a week or so, I will need the help of a few beta tester's to help me finalize/improve on it. I have two volunteers so far, but one is very busy and will probably not have time for the foreseeable future. I also asked Rick here at Brewhaus, but he suggested that I ask the community. So, I am :)

Those that are interested, please let me know via PM, or here and we'll conversate. If you want a peek at it, let me know I can steer you to a post with screen shots in it.

System requirements: Access 2007 Runtimes on a Windows XP SP3/Vista/Win7 - I have the Access runtime installer and it comes with the package or can be downloaded from Microsoft. Yes, the runtimes are free.

Oh.. In Case you are wondering.. What's in it for me? - You get a copy of the RC (Release Candidate) version and a lifetime key for as long as it's in support. It takes hundreds of hours of effort to create robust applications so it cannot' be free to the entire world of small distillers/AFP's, but it will be very reasonable - Prolly less'n the cost'o two bags of Sweet feed...I detest expensive software.

Thanks,
RCRed

About my computer skills:
I a'in some some young whippersnapper (ok, maybe to some of ya I am) with a code book for dummies in my hand. Those, I keep in a book case behind me :)... I've written business and operating systems computer code since 1978, folow strict best practices and standards for development of any computer based application. My experience covers mainframes, midrange and desktop/laptop computer environments. I'm so damn geeky, I can't speel normal text correctly any more...
Offline flht01  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:44:30 AM(UTC)
flht01

I took RCRed's offer on the testing phase of his software and thought I'd post a few initial comments on what I've seen so far.

The menu system is very intuitive and has a workflow that follows the distilling process. Record the recipe, build the wash, record the specifics of the fermentation and distill it. It looks like it can be used for something as simple as storing recipes to a system that can document every last detail or anything in between. The documentation defines the menus and their functions with examples. I think the learning curve for this software will be minimal and will be on the same level as some of the brewing software.

Very impressive so far.
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:11:17 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: flht01 Go to Quoted Post
I took RCRed's offer on the testing phase of his software and thought I'd post a few initial comments on what I've seen so far.

The menu system is very intuitive and has a workflow that follows the distilling process. Record the recipe, build the wash, record the specifics of the fermentation and distill it. It looks like it can be used for something as simple as storing recipes to a system that can document every last detail or anything in between. The documentation defines the menus and their functions with examples. I think the learning curve for this software will be minimal and will be on the same level as some of the brewing software.

Very impressive so far.
Thanks, Flht01 for the kind review of the product so far. I see that over 60 have viewed this and no replies. Perhaps some screen views are in order to show it's concept and worth..

Go to distillitrak.com and Select "Screens and Functions" from the navbar there, or use the following link: http://distillitrak.com/?page_id=64

It is the current V2 beta view and V3 updates will be posted Friday. Since I do have a real job in large systems, development doesn't move as fast as I am accustomed to. But I am dedicated to this effort as much as I am to legalization. Flht01 has already made some good suggestions. I need yours too.

I currently have registration turned off at that site for now, if you want to be part of the beta team, please let me know and I will establish an ID there for you. I am not posting here much as I have refocused that time to development.

Good Day to you.
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 4:00:39 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Beta Team member Count: 3 as of Friday, September 13th, 2013 - Thanks to you that have choosen to participate.
Offline blaztaz  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 11:09:56 AM(UTC)
blaztaz

Hello RCRed,

I just ran today. I keep pretty detailed notes and I have three 5 gallon batches that will be ready in a couple weeks. Are you still looking for testers? After my next run, things will slow down for me, but I can run some numbers for you if you are still looking.

Thanks,
Blaz
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 12:58:28 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Hey Blaz.. Yes I am we are at three, I was hoping to get 5 to 7 - some uneven number..

PM to be sent shortly with details... Thank youfor replying. I've been working on the app all weekend, and i'll be posting the weeks progress post soon over at the Trak site. Almost ready for public use beta...
Offline RCRed  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 3:58:20 PM(UTC)
RCRed

And here are the first sets of reports in the V3 Beta. Reports take forever to template. It takes 65% more time to do report layouts versus screens.... More reports and statistical views are underway - Like charts showing the ABV line thru the collection phase, analysis of batches that use the same recipe's so that you can see if your trends are in the direction you want. I also plan on providing that same charting view on screens so we can save trees.

http://distillitrak.com/?page_id=153
Offline RCRed  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 2:36:42 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Beta V3 is now available to the test team. I sent out messages to all who have volunteered on how to get the application. If any others are interested, please let me know and i'll get you set up for a free copy of the beta.
Offline rims513  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 3:17:54 AM(UTC)
rims513

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
Beta V3 is now available to the test team. I sent out messages to all who have volunteered on how to get the application. If any others are interested, please let me know and i'll get you set up for a free copy of the beta.

At first glance, lookin' really good RCRed! Not much time to dig in today, but next week I will have time for a closer look and a more meaningful post. For those of us who are slightly OCD, this application should really help us sleep at night to the glorious sound of airlocks popping without fear that we've forgotten some detail that will doom our fledgling creation. And that's only the beginning... :-)
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 3:56:06 AM(UTC)
RCRed

I did change up one thing on the Batch Master - Instead of a mass collection amount when the stat collection (Collects batch statistics once you complete a batch and click the Collect Stats button) is made, I broke it out by Fores, Heads, Hearts, Tails, etc. I still need to addd that to the batch report side, but that'll be in a fix release, of which, I am sure there will be some Wink No one is perfect and lord knows I can even fill out an app in that area...

Thanks for your efforts, rims513 and the rest..

Here is a link to how that looks: http://distillitrak.com/...r_List_Detail_092013.jpg
Offline RCRed  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 4:37:05 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Beta V3.2 is out. For those of you following along at home, you can read about it here: http://distillitrak.com/?p=183
Offline RCRed  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:42:08 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Beta V3.3 is out. For those of you following along at home, you can read about it here: http://distillitrak.com/?p=206

I put a LOT/Boatload/CatsNDogs/Kitchen Sink of new functionality into this release - some may find it useful.
Offline RCRed  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:02:06 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Beta 3.4 is out - a lot of new features did i add... And, you can try it now.... Yes, for free....

Read about it here: http://distillitrak.com/?p=233