logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline curtsat15  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 04, 2013 9:30:06 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

Groups: Registered

"Not sure what I've created here, but it's still working itself like a demon.

7 lbs sugar
1/4 cup yeast
4 inches of SF
5 gallons water

Been 7 days this morning and still going strong. Smells wicked strong too!"
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:21:22 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Yes, they do.. BigGrin

it really starts to get mmmm-mmm-tasty about the 3rd generation... I used the backsets from 1 and 2 into #3+tails dump each time, oh my goooodness!!

Smells pretty dogone good when it's fermenting as well. It does take tad longer than corn or sugar neutrals.. I was afeard at when I did my first gen, but since then it's about all I am doing - Just love the taste of the hearts... Oaks well, too BigGrin

Also: give h'er about 3 days to settle when she's done... Did you cook yer grains or just go commando on it?
Offline curtsat15  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:13:38 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

Poured boiling sugar water over the feed then just let 'er cool naturally.
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:42:57 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Ok, coolio...I am interested in how that works out. I've been doing the 90 minute cook routine. If I don't need to do that it'll be a big plus on my time management.
Offline flht01  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 05, 2013 5:18:00 AM(UTC)
flht01

That's how I do UJSSM when starting a new batch. Bring the water/backset (frozen from previous run) up to a boil or close to it and pour it over the cracked corn. It does a real good job of softening the corn up. Let it set anywhere from a few hours to overnight and top it off with cold water, add yeast and seal it up.

Did similiar to this even on the last two nchooch's bourbon ag recipe and got a little over 1.050 conversion without adding any sugar.
Offline curtsat15  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 06, 2013 1:37:15 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

I have no tools to measure sg, I just go with my gut and hope for the best. So far so good. I racked off just after my last post and ran off about 2 and 3/4 quarts. Good solid whiskey! Smells good, tastes good, real smooth and STRONG! Waiting til tomorrow to use the back set in the next batch and see what that does!
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 06, 2013 2:25:56 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: curtsat15 Go to Quoted Post
I have no tools to measure sg, I just go with my gut and hope for the best. So far so good. I racked off just after my last post and ran off about 2 and 3/4 quarts. Good solid whiskey! Smells good, tastes good, real smooth and STRONG! Waiting til tomorrow to use the back set in the next batch and see what that does!

And this is how useing a --tried and true-- recipe helps you learn the trade. You dont really need tools for this one cause someone else has allreay worked out the bugs. In your first post you said...not sure what I've created....well this is a well known recipe that works and it really easy for a beginner to make it happen so congrats on that, in the future get some nutrients and a hydrometer just because."
Offline RCRed  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 06, 2013 2:48:10 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
And this is how useing a --tried and true-- recipe helps you learn the trade. You dont really need tools for this one cause someone else has allreay worked out the bugs. In your first post you said...not sure what I've created....well this is a well known recipe that works and it really easy for a beginner to make it happen so congrats on that, in the future get some nutrients and a hydrometer just because.
Heeler speaks wisely here. My SF recipe is the one from this site, and about the only addition is the 1lb of flaked barley that Bushy suggested further in that thread.

I've got the 5th generation about ready to run. Each run has gotten sucessively better, smoother, and runs very stable. I too am getting about the same amount of product at the end, but my hearts band seems to be widening with each run. I started at about 2 quarts total with about 1.5 pints of "sweetheart" (a loving name I gave it) and now that's up to almost 3 pints.

I just realized one can freeze the backset for future use so I am going to do that with the leftover backset (about 1.5 gal) that doesn't go into generation 6.

I am still wondering if I am wasting time with the cook, thou...

Agree with the nutrients and hydrometer - Althou the prestige WD yeast seems to really enjoy working the wash on it's ownsome. Knock on barrel, I've yet to see any issues.
Offline curtsat15  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 07, 2013 8:45:51 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

Thanks RC and Heeler, I do plan on getting a hydrometer, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I regret not trying this recipe earlier, seems to be a magic mix!
Offline curtsat15  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 07, 2013 8:48:35 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

All I use is Fleischman's bread yeast, haven't seen any reason to try anything else. I just wait 1 day after it stops bubbling, rack it wait 1 day and run it. Works for me!
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 07, 2013 12:47:20 PM(UTC)
heeler

"One more reason to get a hydrometer, once you make your likker its nice to KNOW what proof you are drinking and with a alcohol/proof hydrometer you can cut your likker to exactly the proof you want instead of just guessing at it. Lower proof likker just tastes better by most folks judgement.
I know in the previous post we were referencing a beer/wine hydrometer (to gain your gravity readings) and thats nice to learn the use of too but the alcohol meter is prolly more useful in my opinion, also you will learn to use the alcohol meter whilst your cooking too so you know where the tails come into the equation.
Anyway just passing on my opinion and hopfully it'll help someone."
Offline curtsat15  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 08, 2013 12:28:49 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

I agree Heeler. That's really the only reason I want one. I trust my nose when it comes to tails, and make some fine cuts. I also trust my eyes and tongue for the proof meter and it's served me well so far. I doubt if my proof has dropped below 100 in the last year.
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:16:57 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Well you said ---I doubt if my proof has dropped below 100---with a hydrometer you will know for sure and you will enjoy the outcome more I'
m sure.
Using your nose is the right way to go plus the hydrometer and your on your way to being a hoochologist for sure."
Offline curtsat15  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 2:47:11 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

Well last weekend we went to my uncle's. He's been making his own whiskey for 40 years. We sat down and played cribbage for a couple hours and partook of each other's shine, about half a bottle each LOL. He swears mine is every bit as good as his! High praise indeed!