logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Alli  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:51:38 AM(UTC)
Alli

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"One Brave Soul Needed:
Attached below is an email I received from Scott Parks, a reporter at the Dallas Morning News. I spoke with him yesteday and he is very interested in our fight for legalization; he would like to do a story about our hobby and our legalization efforts. He said that he is a strong believer in our cause and would like to help get the laws changed.

Since the Dallas Morning News is a local paper, Scott is required to do a local story which means he needs to interview someone in the Dallas/north Texas area. He would like to talk about our hobby, take a picture of their setup, etc. Your identy is competly protected and will never be revealed if you so chose. This is a wonderful opportunity to get the words out in one our biggest cities. Please, someone call him.

I am going to send him copies of the proposed legislation and a short history of our story. All you need to do is make an appointment with him and give him 30/60 minutes of your time. You will be our hero. Alli

Dallas Morning News Story
Alli:
My name is Scott Parks. I am a reporter for The Dallas Morning News. I talked to Rick Morris yesterday and asked him if he could put me in touch with a hobbyist moonshiner who might be willing to talk to me for a news story on the legalization effort. He suggested I contact you or John Barleycorn on this forum. I would need someone in the Dallas area. I would prefer someone who is willing to let me use their name, but if that is not acceptable, I could grant anonymity to the person in return for the interview. The basic story is about the fact that home beer and wine brewing is legal but home distilling is NOT. WHY is that?
You can reach me at 214-977-8640 (office phone 10-6 pm M-F) or on my cell 972-639-8455
"
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:00:04 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I spoke with Scott. I also spoke with my Attorney. I was told to wait until my AFP permit is in place and I have the necessary Texas permits before showing any thing to a reporter. I also am not real impressed with the motives as stated. This guy came outa nowhere wanting to "help" us with our cause. About the first thing I got asked was have you, and may I taste it? He called Brewhaus first and I didn't feel comfortable with his motives or what caused him to chase this story in the first place.

The fellow has done hardly any background research on the hobby. I supplied some information for him to read up on, but that's abouyt as far as I will go until I have a legitimate position. After that, sure. But I shall do nothing to jepordize my permits or becoming legitimate at this point. Not worth it. I also detest the DMN, they are one of the most liberal rags in the country. I haven't bought a Sunday paper in years because of their positions.

Call me an ass, but I have my limits for numerous reasons.
Offline Alli  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:53:48 AM(UTC)
Alli

"Red,
I understand your position with getting your permit - would like to know more about that, but later. This guy is a reporter and he is going to ask questions like have you ever distilled alcohol. DUH, wonder what the still is doing there? I would hope he would want to taste it - we ain't making kerosene. I am sure some of his questions will seem dumb to many of us, but that is what reporters do. Why he called Brewhaus first is probably pretty obvious, he sure could not call one of us. When I spoke with him he told me without any prompting on my part that he believed home distilling should be legalized. You are right that he has done little/no researce to this point, but that may be the point of his call to Brewhaus. I will make sure he gets all of the education he wants. I hope that someone in your area will call him, demand anonymity, and help him run his story.

The Dallas Morning News has a circulation of about 250,000 papers. That is a lot of coverage for our story. I really don't think we can afford to pick and chose between papers that have liberal or conservative leaning editorial boards. Who cares as long as they print a favorable story for our cause.
Alli"
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:55:00 PM(UTC)
RCRed

1 - 250K in a metroplex of 4.2 MILLION - That's not that good after all...

2 - I didnt care that he didn't know the art (ain supposed ta) - I cared because he didn't have a good motive for starting this story. I was asked to show the still and how she works and that isn't happening. I will not incriminate myself for someone I don't know, or do something I am not yet licensed for. My equipment stays dissassembled until my permits are in place. To set it up, charged and over a burner crosses from legal equipment posession to illegal distillation, and would invalidate my permit process. My attorney had some choice statements too, and that was only on this part!

3 - Conditional protection of identity - That is until a court subpeona shows up. to be fair, the man told me it's never happened in 35 years of his tenure. Well, it ain' gonna be me the paradigm shifts upon. Too much at stake.

Quote:
I really don't think we can afford to pick and choose between papers that have liberal or conservative leaning editorial boards.
You obviously don't know how passionate Texans are about liberals and their tactics these days.. We trust them no farther than an fire ant's pee stream....They thrive in Houston, Austin, and Dallas proper, but the majority of this state is SOLID RED (read: Conservative Repubs/Libertarians). Those three areas are the poorest and most ignorantly operated areas in the state. The Dallas downtown area is a ghost town for all the vacant office buildings-A fine example of Detriot style leadership.

Like fire ants, we only tolerate them until we vote them into oblivion-which happens often here.
Offline Alli  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:01:18 AM(UTC)
Alli

Sorry to offend Red. You are obvously not the one for this job. Just hope there is someone else in your area who will step up to the plate. alli
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:52:15 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"If this cat wants pics and instructions and such why not just send him to all the threads on this site - let him search the whole forum and he could find everything he wants. All the questions he has can be answered right here, no need to talk to anyone.

What does a still look like?? pics on the site
How do you make a mash?? pics on the site
How do you run a still?? instructions on the site
What are cuts?? how to's on the site

now does he really need us to give permission to search and use whatever he finds???????? I dont think so."
Offline RCRed  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:52:55 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to offend Red. You are obvously not the one for this job. Just hope there is someone else in your area who will step up to the plate. alli
I'll not be shamed for my choice.

Ain' a job or process on this panet I could'nt learn and do well with education/practice and I've 36+ years in my trade to prove it. One damn thing I have learned from my past mistakes is the wisdom to avoid another.

And good luck finding other Texans who do this to trust anyone outside their circle. Hell, it takes years to get people to trust you here even on normal terms. Even the musicians are slow (5+ years) to trust any one.

Over the past few years, had the DMN been calling out the adminstration and calling for them to be held accountable, I might have had a different POV, but, they don't - They suckle the concept of the nanny state and "free for all" on the backs of those that have earned prosperity. So I have zero confidence they'd protect me when the King Barry Machine rolled in and demanded names and addresses.

And, I have helped in our cause. It took me hours to make that powerpoint up, and I believe in legalization.

Look dude, "Conditional protection of identity" is not solid enough for me to trust all that I have built and made in 20+ years since the last time the law stripped me to just the clothes on my back. This crap is Federal, in a government that punishes those that speak out against them and disregards the law and the constitution to suit their agendas.

This distillate is tastin' too bitter to me.
Offline RCRed  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:11:32 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
If this cat wants pics and instructions and such why not just send him to all the threads on this site - let him search the whole forum and he could find everything he wants. All the questions he has can be answered right here, no need to talk to anyone.

What does a still look like?? pics on the site
How do you make a mash?? pics on the site
How do you run a still?? instructions on the site
What are cuts?? how to's on the site

now does he really need us to give permission to search and use whatever he finds???????? I dont think so.
I told him this and more - threads at HD.org, parent site articles, new distiller lounges, etc.. All the stuff I've studied endlessly in the two years since I got my apparatus and found out it's a study, a science, not a childs toy, or simple hobbyist endeavor. I sent him to YouTube too. But no, he hadn't read/seen any of it, just wanted to see the gear run for hisself.

That represented "Fishy smell and Aftertaste" to me, and now as in High school, wasn't good.
Offline Alli  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:55:02 PM(UTC)
Alli

Hell man I am just trying to help the cause. Screw it I quit!
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:06:43 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
Hell man I am just trying to help the cause. Screw it I quit!
I know, Alli, and I appreciate ya. I do. My anx is not directed at you in any way, sir...
Offline Alli  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 8:22:32 AM(UTC)
Alli

"OK guys,
After some very nice private messages from some of the members, I an't quitin but stop shooting the messenger. We need all of the bipartisan support we can get from everyone. Thanks guys. Alli"
Offline admin  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 8:53:26 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thank you for sticking around, Alli. You have been an integral part of getting us to this point! :-)