logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kane  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 8:54:25 AM(UTC)
kane

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
the only one i know of is raisins
i have wash going now 4 lbs cornmeal 8 lbs cane sugar i cup of honey and one cup of molasses
its on its 14 th day and its only
5 % i used a combo of bread and distillers yeast about 3 tbs
i added a 1/4 cup of raisins today
Offline kane  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 12:16:36 PM(UTC)
kane

bump anyone ?
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:20:41 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I believe that your question is unclear-- try addind what you want to make-- just a suggestion.

p.s. read the rules :)
Offline kane  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 04, 2013 1:18:03 PM(UTC)
kane

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
I believe that your question is unclear-- try addind what you want to make-- just a suggestion.

p.s. read the rules :)

ok what are the natural yeast not synthetic yeast ?
Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 04, 2013 1:59:21 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are some links that may be relevant.... ?

http://www.enologyintern...com/yeast/wildyeast.html

This page has some good sub links on various yeasts....

http://homedistiller.org/wash/ferment/which
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:06:37 PM(UTC)
scotty

I'm still in the dark. Sorry. What is a synthetic yeast??:)
Offline kane  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:57:37 PM(UTC)
kane

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
I'm still in the dark. Sorry. What is a synthetic yeast??:)

from my understanding scotty all the yeast we are using today are synthetic it started back in 2010 or earlier not sure myself
(Phys.org) —A multinational effort to replicate the genome of brewer's yeast has been launched. Led by Professor Jef Boeke of John Hopkins University in Baltimore, and with teams in China, India, Great Britain and other countries, the goal of the effort is to build artificial chromosomes to replace the 16 normally found in yeast cells. If successful, the effort will mark the first time the entire genome of an organism with a nucleus has been artificially replicated.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/201...synthetic-yeast.html#jCp

http://phys.org/news/201...way-synthetic-yeast.html
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 05, 2013 1:28:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

Thanks for the reply KANE, :) I don't believe that any yeast we use is synthetic in any way-- it is a fungus--
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 05, 2013 6:42:44 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: kane Go to Quoted Post
the only one i know of is raisins
i have wash going now 4 lbs cornmeal 8 lbs cane sugar i cup of honey and one cup of molasses
its on its 14 th day and its only
5 % i used a combo of bread and distillers yeast about 3 tbs
i added a 1/4 cup of raisins today

So you added no purchased yeast of any kind??? I think the outcome of such a venture is too unsure for me, any wild yeast would make me skeptical of a positive outcome."
Offline kane  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 05, 2013 6:50:29 AM(UTC)
kane

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
So you added no purchased yeast of any kind??? I think the outcome of such a venture is too unsure for me, any wild yeast would make me skeptical of a positive outcome.

oh no i added bread and distillers and after 14 days i seen 5 % ( so then i added the wild raisin,s )
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 05, 2013 7:06:19 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ahhhh I stand corrected...I see it now. I think I missed it because I was concentrating on the question of wild yeast and was thinking all you used were raisins for the wild yeast contribution of a yeast additive.
Is the raisin yeast something thats used often for that purpose?? I know some folks use them in the distillate for a flavor producer but never heard of them added to the wash for yeast."
Offline kane  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 05, 2013 7:51:55 AM(UTC)
kane

Ahhhh I stand corrected...I see it now. I think I missed it because I was concentrating on the question of wild yeast and was thinking all you used were raisins for the wild yeast contribution of a yeast additive.
Is the raisin yeast something thats used often for that purpose?? I know some folks use them in the distillate for a flavor producer but never heard of them added to the wash for yeast.

i dont know i just figured i would try it since it seemed to stop at 5% its still bubbling but once every 3to 5 min or so
Offline RCRed  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 05, 2013 8:30:40 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If she's still bubblin, it's just taking it's sweet time... Wait....I've had one that ran really slow too..I waited till it wasn't bubblin at all. Turned out ok, too. Patience is sometimes the hardest thing...
Offline heeler  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 05, 2013 8:48:37 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: kane Go to Quoted Post
i dont know i just figured i would try it since it seemed to stop at 5% its still bubbling but once every 3to 5 min or so

If its bubbling its still makeing co2 and etoh..every bubble of co2 is a bubble of hooch
at 14 days with 8 lbs of sugar I would think it would done and
be higher than 5%..I hope someone chimes in with the equation for figgering the abv of the wash per pound of sugar."
Offline Gravelier  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:16:56 PM(UTC)
Gravelier

I have several questions.

You didn't state the batch size, so it's not possible to figure potential ABV.
Also, not sure how you processed the corn, so not sure on potential from that.
Did you use any enzyme to convert corn starch to sugar, or is corn for flavor only?

I have had a bad experience with wild yeast infecting a batch of beer. It turned so sour, it wasn't drinkable. The sour carried over into the distillate.

I have had some good luck with adding some gluco amylase to a stuck corn mash. It took off and finished at less than 1.000.
Offline kane  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:08:53 AM(UTC)
kane

im sorry its a 5 gallon batch no enzyme added
i have two going the corn batch and a molasses and honey batch
the corn batch took off real good just by adding sugar
not so much on the molasses batch i have not checked either in a few days now
but both showed 5 % abv at that time
the raisin didnt seem to do anything
Offline Gravelier  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:18:39 AM(UTC)
Gravelier

I am assuming the corn batch has the 8 lbs of sugar added. You should have ended up at about 9% ABV or higher with some help from molasses and honey. I have used Red Star bread yeast on a rum wash and ended at near 17, so much higher possible. I have also used bread yeast on corn mash, but I cook the corn, gelatinize the starch and use alpha amylase to convert the starch to sugar. I have washes at up to 9%. No sugar added.

So what else could slow or stop the action. Where is the batch sitting? If in a basement, perhaps it is too cold for the yeast. You normally have bread rise in a warm spot. But I have had good luck with beard yeast as long as the temp is over 70 F. Another question is water. I am on well water, but many people buy purified water for their wash. If you are on city water and have lots of chlorine, you can draw a 5 gallon bucket and let it set out for a week to air off the chlorine. Or buy some purified water.

I am just guessing, and rambling. Not sure if I have helped, but maybe some things to think about.
Offline kane  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:33:05 AM(UTC)
kane

these particular batches are all rain water i cooked the corn not real hard but i did cook it for several hours counting the cool down period and it in the house so the air is set 74- 76
so if i get over 10 % abv i should be doing good and possible starting run of 80% time will tell i guess
both have 9 lbs on cane sugar now lol
maybe i need to move them in the garage next time
Offline heeler  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 4:50:29 AM(UTC)
heeler

"the real determining factor in the starting abv% is tower that you use to cook with not the wash. If you have 2 washes both 5% and you run one with a goose neck tower (or what some call a pot still) and one with a reflux tower and really reflux the distillate wouldn't the pot still run still be less starting abv?
The answer to that is yes because the reflux tower will concentrate the distillate more so than the goose neck tower for a purer spirit if you will.
Now if you used a pot still and a doubler or a thump keg and ran it several times through it would certainly increase the proof but thats where the reflux tower makes the difference.

oh I wondered off topic....this is a wild yeast thread not a still type thread, sorry!Blushing"
Offline kane  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:24:26 AM(UTC)
kane

the real determining factor in the starting abv% is tower that you use to cook with not the wash. If you have 2 washes both 5% and you run one with a goose neck tower (or what some call a pot still) and one with a reflux tower and really reflux the distillate wouldn't the pot still run still be less starting abv?
The answer to that is yes because the reflux tower will concentrate the distillate more so than the goose neck tower for a purer spirit if you will.
Now if you used a pot still and a doubler or a thump keg and ran it several times through it would certainly increase the proof but thats where the reflux tower makes the differe

oh I wondered off topic....this is a wild yeast thread not a still type thread, sorry!Blushing

its all good i dont follow the rules to well myself i can drift off topic real easy myself lol
and as i have posted in other threads i found a way to run the pot still with chambered sections and mimic the reflux chambers in the flute tower but maintain flavor