logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline my2k2vette  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:30:18 PM(UTC)
my2k2vette

Groups: Registered

"Hi everyone,

I've been using a BH Easystill for the past two years and I'm looking to make the move to a larger unit. I've been tempted by the Still Spirits T500 but I keep on coming back to the Brewhaus PSII for it's greater versatility in the ability to be run as a pot still. I have been doing a lot of reading buy I still have some questions which I know someone on this site would be able to help me with.

Questions:

1) I understand that the 3"" column is supposed to output at twice the speed of the PSIIs 2"" column, is this the main difference?

2) What is the typical reflux run time of a full 8Gal kettle between the 2"" and 3"" version? It seems for a 15Gal setup the 3"" version is a no brainer for the increased speed but I am not sure if it's worth the extra money when running on a 8Gal.

3) I like the idea of having an adapter installed for a hot water heater element as this sounds like a much better way to heat. What exactly do I ask BH to install for me, is it either a 1"" female NPT fitting or a 2"" Tri-clamp? If I go with a tri-clamp, where do I get the TC to NPT adapter for the element? Anyone know the cost of getting this done as I can't find it anywhere?

4) How do you ground the tri-clamp, with the ground clamped to the ferrule like the NPT fitting?

Thanks for your help!"
Offline Maddawgs  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:47:21 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: my2k2vette Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

I've been using a BH Easystill for the past two years and I'm looking to make the move to a larger unit. I've been tempted by the Still Spirits T500 but I keep on coming back to the Brewhaus PSII for it's greater versatility in the ability to be run as a pot still. I have been doing a lot of reading buy I still have some questions which I know someone on this site would be able to help me with.

Questions:

1) I understand that the 3" column is supposed to output at twice the speed of the PSIIs 2" column, is this the main difference?

2) What is the typical reflux run time of a full 8Gal kettle between the 2" and 3" version? It seems for a 15Gal setup the 3" version is a no brainer for the increased speed but I am not sure if it's worth the extra money when running on a 8Gal.

3) I like the idea of having an adapter installed for a hot water heater element as this sounds like a much better way to heat. What exactly do I ask BH to install for me, is it either a 1" female NPT fitting or a 2" Tri-clamp? If I go with a tri-clamp, where do I get the TC to NPT adapter for the element? Anyone know the cost of getting this done as I can't find it anywhere?

4) How do you ground the tri-clamp, with the ground clamped to the ferrule like the NPT fitting?

Thanks for your help!

Hi vette,
In my experience with a 3, a 12 gallon run took about 14 hours and I think that was a bit fast. I ended up having to filter it a few times at about a quart an hour each time. Now you can run it much faster but you will smear your product and it will taste like crap. Slow and steady with proper heat and cooling water control is the key to a good product. I chose the water heater element and npt fitting route for safety reasons but those who heat with fire seem to like their process. I ground my element at the npt, just run the ground wire a bit longer and secure it with a ss hose clamp.
Hope this helps you out, Maddawgs
Offline my2k2vette  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 12:25:02 PM(UTC)
my2k2vette

Thanks Maddawg for the info. Seeing your run times I think solidifies my idea of getting the 8Gal... don't think I could stand and watch a 12+ Gal run lol.

I assume most people spend the extra money and get the HC model but for the $100 difference I would like to know if it's worth it?
Offline Maddawgs  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 11:05:17 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: my2k2vette Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Maddawg for the info. Seeing your run times I think solidifies my idea of getting the 8Gal... don't think I could stand and watch a 12+ Gal run lol.

I assume most people spend the extra money and get the HC model but for the $100 difference I would like to know if it's worth it?

Hi vette,
I struggled with the same question before my purchase. I did a lot of research and found that the majority of people wish they had gotten both the bigger column and kettle. One way to look at it is it is cheaper to spend the extra now then it would be to wish you had later, plus you will have the option of doing a small or a large run.
Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:29:41 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
vette,

The PSII and PSII HC are both quality rigs that will most likely last for generations if you take care of them ... just like a good quality shotgun, musical instrument, or roll-top desk. ;-) Even five years from now, that $100 difference will be completely meaningless and long forgotten.

Regards,
--JB