logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:19:50 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I'm gonna mash some grains for an all grain beer and I'm gonna use the BIAB (brew in a bag) method of brewing. I'm also gonna add some pics and give a little story of what and why we do it this way, and remember the wash you make for likker is also beer until it's distilled, so thx for playing alongUserPostedImage[/URL]UserPostedImage
This is a Shiner Bock AG beer kit and the fixins to make it happen."
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:27:16 AM(UTC)
heeler

Here I've heated my water to the strike temp (which is 165F because you loose heat once the grains are added) and the grains are loaded in my BOP and ready for the mash. Now remember ---mashing a grain means heating and holding the grain in water for a certain amount of time at a certain temp and this particular grain mixture calls for a one hour mash at 150F. That should convert the starch into fermentable sugars so the yeast can make alcohol in the beer.Cool
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:30:34 AM(UTC)
heeler

Now this is kinda ghetto but I've got her all wrapped up to hold in the heat for the mash period and this really does work so it's cool. You can see the timer has 57 minutes left on the countdown, we're off and mashing.
UserPostedImage
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:36:52 AM(UTC)
heeler

So after removing the grain bag from my BOP I'm gonna sparge my grains and get all the sugars out that I can and this how I do it. With the BIAB method of brewing most dont sparge but maybe I'm just greedy. Again you have to heat a certain amount of water to top off your boil volume and start the boil. I pour the water right through the grain bag and catch it in my fermenter whilst the pot is heating and when the grain has drained enough I pour that right in the boil pot. then start the boil.
UserPostedImage
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:48:41 AM(UTC)
heeler

"So after mashing my grains and filling my pot to the proper level for the boil I'm ready to get ta cooking but that's another thread, this is a grain mashing thread. Again...mashing a grain means heating and holding the grain in water for a period of time and at the right temp, not grinding the grains to a mush. Anyway hope ya'll enjoy this even if you don't make beer I have read that some guys want to make all grain wash for a whiskey and you still mash the grains the same way with the same temps and durations. If you added some sugar to this pot but did not boil it, started the fermentation process and then distilled it wouldn't that be a grain whiskey likker??? Of course --ALL GRAIN likker would have no sugar added. Happy hoochin.....
UserPostedImage
Peace out......Cool"