logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kane  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 12:27:07 AM(UTC)
kane

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
"can moving the ferment container cause the yeast to die ?
and if you do stir it and the air lock bubbles again does that mean its got more time to go ?"
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 1:08:39 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'd think a hydrometer test is in order. If it's below 1.000, it's done and you are seeing carbon dioxide that was in the wash release... I think I had a simlar question and found that answer elsewhere here... When I move the carboy from the ferment room to the area I siphon it off from, I get bubbles thru the airlock as well. Now, once I "think" a wash is done, I give it a few days to settle and then do my test.. But I don't stir it agin..'cause then I'd have to wait till she settles...

Sugar wash, sweet feed, corn, what kind of wash are we referring to here? As far as I know (from reading here & at HD) the only thing that'd kill the yeast are extreme temps, or allowing it to go dry after siphoning.

I'm sure someone more senior will chime in...
Offline admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 1:16:42 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Moving the fermenter will not kill the yeast.. unless you move it to a hotplate. RollEyes

Movement / agitation will cause the liquid to release some of the dissolved CO2, though, which is why you will noticed some activity through the airlock.
Offline kane  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 1:38:49 AM(UTC)
kane

i got two types going now one is a corn honey and mollases and sugar the other is the black beard rum
i have a triple scale ill test these tonight
now this corn based mash is a second regeneration it bubbled constantly without pause for over 72 hours its slowed down and i moved it and now it has slowed so much that i have to stir it / in my case shake its in a 5 gallon water jug with a air lock
i ran that first generation of the corn base and the scale sank like a rock lol but i think i had a leak in my lid and it started out at 75 % and fell off as always and i got 3 liters of a final cut of 50 %
so i re worked my lid and i think i have it sealed back up tight now
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 2:39:42 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

do you have a triple scale hydrometer???
Offline kane  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 2:53:03 AM(UTC)
kane

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
do you have a triple scale hydrometer???

yes and a alkameter as well
Offline kane  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 3:04:17 AM(UTC)
kane

i also would like to know how long can you wait to make a run after the bubbles all stop
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 4:02:10 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kane Go to Quoted Post
i also would like to know how long can you wait to make a run after the bubbles all stop

Hey pal, you asked - how long CAN I wait, well let me add how long you SHOULD wait. If you made a grain wash or something with lots of stuff in it give it a few days to settle after the ferment finishes, and of course you will test the wash with a hydrometer to know when the ferment is done. 3 days of no movement in the hydro measurement is the norm.
Now - how long CAN you wait? If you keep it cool or even remove the wash from the original ferment vessel it will be quite happy for a month or so from what I've found.
If you make a wash and give it 12-14 days (which is my norm) it should be finished fermenting and settled also. The more you make you will figger out what is the norm for your setup.
Offline kane  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 4:33:07 AM(UTC)
kane

cool i was always scared it would sour
thanks
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 4:43:53 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Hey pal, you asked - how long CAN I wait, well let me add how long you SHOULD wait. If you made a grain wash or something with lots of stuff in it give it a few days to settle after the ferment finishes, and of course you will test the wash with a hydrometer to know when the ferment is done. 3 days of no movement in the hydro measurement is the norm.
Now - how long CAN you wait? If you keep it cool or even remove the wash from the original ferment vessel it will be quite happy for a month or so from what I've found.
If you make a wash and give it 12-14 days (which is my norm) it should be finished fermenting and settled also. The more you make you will figger out what is the norm for your setup.
Thanks Heeler, that was a great answer. I get busy with work sometimes for a week at a time, and it plays havoc with my hobby schedule. So good to know about seperating (siphoning) it to a seperate bucket/carboy.