logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 6:16:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

i made my first mash today of sugar, water, yeast nutrient, and yeast. My question however is that my fermenting pale is not clear. It is a white ale pail 5 gallon bucket that is a primary fermenter. i filled the airlock half way with water and placed into the rubber stopper as far as it will go. When will i know when fermentation is taking place and can i open the lid briefly to check on it. If not, how will i know when the mash is done fermenting or if it is stuck?
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 2:32:18 PM(UTC)

OK, you are going to need a hydrometer to read the SG to know when its done. Go online to http://www.brewhaus.com and download their PDF
catalogue. They sell inexpensive floating hydrometers.

Next go online to http://www.homedistiller.org where you can learn exactly 'where, how, and why'. They cover it all.

Bookmark or Favorite them both, you'll spend many
hours of fun reading and enjoyment, education, and etc.
#3 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2003 1:19:22 AM(UTC)

Of course, if you don't want to spend money that could be better used for other things, a good rule of thumb is to put it into your pail, cover it and keep it somewhere warm for about 2 weeks. That's the way I've been doing it for about 10 years now and it works fine. I try not to make to much of a science project out of it but rather something fun... after all, it's my hobby and should be enjoyed. keeping it simple ,to me,is more fun. I must brag just a little though, I've had several people born and raised in West Virginia tell me mine is the best they've ever had!!
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 6:31:04 AM(UTC)

just taste it to see if all the sugars are fermented, it should taste like a dry wine ,sweetness wise!,
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2003 2:26:23 PM(UTC)

The CO2 from the fermentation will bubble up thru the airlock, right? Bubbles = fermentation, no bubbles = no fermentation.

Also, at least in the case of fermenting for beermaking, there's little harm in waiting too long. In other words, most folks simply wait until there's been very little airlock activity for a few days.

I've never used an airlock at all--I just place the lid over the top of the fermenter and peek in occassionally. However, this is for ale yeast. Today marks my very first ever Turbo yeast ferment--but so far it seems to be working well. I have the 25L fermenter covered in my garage refridgerator, set to about 65F. This is keeping the ferment at about 70F, which is what I wanted to try to get a 7 day ferment.

I'll let you know how well it works.
#6 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2003 3:14:06 PM(UTC)

**Thats** the reason for a hydrometer check.

WHAT's the reason?
#7 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2003 3:16:26 PM(UTC)

Nevermind--I got it. You're checking to see if fermentation stopped because it was complete, or if it died for some reason prematurely. Gotcha.
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 6:50:13 AM(UTC)

I've heard that if you leave a sugar mash sitting too long then the yeasts die and release nasty stuff into the mash that makes it taste bad and smell bad. How long would this be?

I'm planning on using a turbo with sugar and letting it sit until it's done and then let it clear and let the yeast sink to the bottom. Then i was planning on syphoning out the clear stuff and leaving the rest behind to minimize the mess in my boiler.

Does this sound right? I am just afraid the yeasts will die and ruin my mash...
#9 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 3:15:05 PM(UTC)

That's a good question. Yeast go into a state called 'autolysis' which is a sort of self-digestion. I've seen this discussed in the context of massive yeast concentration in a low-nutrient situation. I can't remember what the impact is though.

What I've noticed with my first Turbo yeast ferment that is totally unlike ale yeast is the extraordinary resistance of the yeast to settle out ,floculate,. I've had my fermenter under 40F chilling for a week now, and the yeast still has not settled out completely. Very, very weird, at least when compared to British ale yeast which will settle out fast and hard when the food is gone.

In any case, at no time during the ferment did I feel this smelled 'good'...it's always had a fairly unpleasant aroma. The exception maybe is early on in the ferment--when it had the characteristic, pleasant, bread-like fragrance. That didn't last too long tho.

Anyone care to answer Lightning's question?
#10 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 11:32:40 PM(UTC)

Well here's what I do...6 1/2 kg ,14 1/2 lb,sugar mixed with water , 1 pkt 'turbo yeast'. Leave it to ferment for 5 days or when it stops bubbling ,5 days in my case at a temp of 23-25 deg cel, leave it 1 day for good measure.Then into the still , except for the last little bit with the 'gunk' cause it sticks to my heating element , bring the temp up to about 70 deg cel for about 10 min,then to 78deg cel and collect about 1 1/2-2 liters of 94% by then the temp is on the rise,by the time the temp gets to about 85deg I've got another 1 1/2 liters of 80-85%,then I shut the still down-I don't worry about the last little bit left in the mash because at the end of the day I've got what I want,the good stuff, Run it through a charcoal filter at the rate of 1/2 liter an hour.End result is a mighty fine drop. By the way I use a home-made valved reflux still. Works 4 me. ps. don't forget to discard the first 50 ml.
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2003 9:50:17 PM(UTC)

Rixter: that would mean you're getting a final gravity that's about 10-12% ABV or so. That seems low--but is that in fact what you're getting?
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2003 12:26:39 AM(UTC)

Oh, and just an added comment to lightning...I stir the mash after 3 days and then again when it finishes bubbling leave it for a day then straight into the still,except for the last little bit of glug. I get a tiny amount of build-up on the heating element,which comes off with minimal effort when I clean up,backflush the collum and hose out the boiler
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2003 10:52:09 PM(UTC)

I almost forgot to answer bongo..... abv by my reading came in at about 17%, altho the yeast packet says It'll give 14%.Might have to deduct 1 or 2% for the liquid temp at the time of testing
#14 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2005 9:18:24 PM(UTC)

YOU MIGHT EVEN GET BETTER RESULTS BY JUST SIPHONING IT INTO A SECOND FERMENTATION CARBOY FOR AN HOUR OR 2 IT ALLOWS A LITTLE MORE YEAST TO SETTLE AND COOLING AT THIS POINT CAN AID IN CLEARING