logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RCRed  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 12:33:07 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Is it necessary to refrigerate backset after you have distilled it down to about 30%? This was from a SF/Malted Barley run.

The backset was allowed to cool to ambient temp, and then put into jugs, but was not refrigerated. Space cadet left them on the shelf and went off and forgot..Say about two weeks.

I notice, the jugs have seperated - light color on top, and a darker liquid(color of molasses) at the bottom, about the bottom inch of the gallon jug. Can this be reheated to about 170f, and used as backset or should It be used to treat fire ant mounds?
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 10:44:33 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Just a guess
. Why not treat it like wine and use sorbate and sulfite. I use the potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite on recently fermented batches that I don't intend to run for a long time-- Sometimes I want to ferment a few 6 gallon batches before running all of it---
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:53:48 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Just a guess
. Why not treat it like wine and use sorbate and sulfite. I use the potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite on recently fermented batches that I don't intend to run for a long time-- Sometimes I want to ferment a few 6 gallon batches before running all of it---
Heya scotty,

You mean just go ahead and add that to the jugs even now, after they've sat like that? I have a bunch of the sulfite, but no sorbate. Do you mix in the sulfite at the same ratio used for sanitizing, or less? It's gonna be a number of days b4 I can get into town for a supply run to get the sorbate...
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:39:25 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I don't know what is too long- I use sorbate and sulfite as recommended by the supplier-- Sanitizing strength sounds bad-- I'm jus trying to tell you what I do with freshly fermented wash that I don't intend to use right away
Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:43:15 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Aye, and thanks for the reply.. I think the fire ants are gonna see a naphalm attack here shortly Wink
Offline kane  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:12:44 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
i just keep re charging adding more ingredients to mine and re running all my backwash
Offline RCRed  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:06:37 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Not really an option with a SF wash...the grains are pretty much spent, and I am supposed to start anew on the grain bill.. The SF backset I am referring to would be used to melt the sugar in and then add to the fermenter prior to pitch time. If it's gotten dirty (unsanitary), I'd rather use it for fire ant anihilation than take a chance....