logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:34:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I am curious as to which woods are the best for aging your likker. I know we all use the oak's but are there better woods like cherry or maybe a lightly toasted maple that might be better? I've seen some Bourbons in the likker stores as of late that are maple aged so maybe thats the newest trend. If anybody has used something special let us all learn from it. Please chime in with ideas and knowledge or what worked and what did'nt.......and explain what you discovered and why. Thanks to all who particapate.
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:36:31 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've used the medium and heavy toast chips from Brewhaus and tried some JD chips from Bass Pro( they smelled good but like the medium toast better). It seems to me I get different flavors using the same chips
different ABV. Seems more of a caramel
higher and more vanilla
lower ABV. I usually distress age by putting in the fridge then in a warm place during the day. I'd like to hear from others on their methods and proofs to age.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 9:39:53 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I read in the forums that some folks used cherry wood and also plum wood, I bet those add a nice demensions to a lighter style hooch. I've aslo read where some use the charred woods in the heavily flavored corn likkers and try to hide the corn flavor, I wonder why you would go to all the effort to make a corn likker and then try to hide the flavor?
I did'nt say it was wrong I just said -- I wonder why.....

On another note, I have also heard of folks useing smoked peat moss in the aging process (I know its not wood but it was good) and that was a hit. I really liked that allthough I never did it myself the hooch I got to test was pretty good. Cool"
Offline dieselduo  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:20:55 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

I tried some citrus wood and the bite was too much for me. I did do some pecan which turned out surprisingly well. Has anyone tried distress aging ? If so what were your procedures?
Offline Redmud  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:56:28 PM(UTC)
Redmud

I did a charred oak and apple wood 50/50 blend it turned out really good I put in a corn whiskey at around 130 proof I filled the quart jar half full of chips, and distres aged it for a week freeze it at night then in the sink during the day since water condensed on the outside of the jar freezing to it then melting. I can't say it was really smooth but it was good vanilla flavor with some sour to it. I gotta make some more.
Offline dieselduo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:10:27 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

I infused an oaked corn with an apple for 3 days then a vanilla bean for 1 day, man was it gooooood !
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:27:44 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Basically I like using the BBQ smoking chips. I haven't tried the pecan chips yet, but the applewood chips are really good especially if you're making apple brandy. That last batch I made was really good.
Offline 1Biker77  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:20:43 AM(UTC)
1Biker77

I do a mesquite charred whiskey. Figured I'd put a southwest twist on an UJSM. It comes out super smooth, awesome taste.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 4:43:51 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

The only wood that i've aged with has been white oak. I have some in the wood pile that I split a few years back. I took some of that and took an axe and broke it into small pieces soaked it in water over night then wrapped in foil and put in the oven for a couple of hours. Then i torch it black and bagged it up. Just about every run i save one pint of at least 120 proof that I char/age. I still have some from last year and they smell good. A few of them will be Christmas gifts. I haven't tried any other wood yet.
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 8:51:20 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1Biker77 Go to Quoted Post
I do a mesquite charred whiskey. Figured I'd put a southwest twist on an UJSM. It comes out super smooth, awesome taste.
You know, I was wondering about Mesquite - Did you do a light, or heavy char on that?

I've been using a medium toast French Oak on SF for a month minimum - I don't hardly let any one near it, or I'd get none!
Offline Biscuit  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 6:30:07 PM(UTC)
Biscuit

Got some apple wood 6 inch sticks which I toasted in the oven to what I think a medium toast would be. Used it once wit some commercial toasted oak then set it a fire with the alcohol that was in the wood. Nice deep char on it. Using the same wood no changes on a second stress age with great flavor working