logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

12 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dieselduo  
#161 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:52:48 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
just got mine today. It was fun while it lasted
Offline dieselduo  
#162 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:05:54 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
admin I tried to send a pm but it says your box is full
Offline admin  
#163 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:14:41 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I caught the "folder full" notice and cleared the folder out, so please try again.
Offline fatboi83  
#164 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:47:01 AM(UTC)
fatboi83

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
just got mine today. It was fun while it lasted

Where were the purchases made? Could this have been triggered by the push to legalize and the names from the list of members?
Offline admin  
#165 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:03:16 AM(UTC)
admin

I have heard from customers who purchased from other companies, so it is not isolated to Brewhaus customers. The TTB also does not have access to the HDA membership list, and if they did, and used it, then we would have people that do not distill getting letters (I know at least half a dozen personally that are members of the HDA and do not distill).

I doubt that it has anything to do with the push to legalize, as the TTB would likely benefit from legalization (take NZ as a perfect example- excise tax on alcohol has increased more than 50% post-legalization).
Offline smokeymtnbill  
#166 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 11:26:46 AM(UTC)
smokeymtnbill

well it sounds like they are going to try to make some money in fines and scare everyone else. Between work and family illness I haven't even seen my stuff in so long not sure where everything is. May be worth having them stop by to help clean out the shed. I hate that a few idiots ruin things for many, I was hoping to try my hand at it again this fall but I guess Ill have to take a wait and see approach. I have way to many other hobbies to keep me out of trouble. also better half opened letter and about fell over, after a minute she asked do I still have that stuff. So her mind is at rest and I have one less thing for her to "talk" to me aboutBlushing
Offline old stump juicer  
#167 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 11:52:40 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

Well I got mine today!
I have nothing left but the kettle as I done away with the column and condenser when this first started. I sent it with a load of scrap metal to a local recycler since I couldn't afford the risk involved.
The kettle is the best peanut pot I have ever had and looks great!
Have anyone of the members been contacted by the authorities yet and if so how did they fair?
Offline Alli  
#168 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 4:04:25 PM(UTC)
Alli

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There seem to be several TTB officials that are driving this train that are listed below. Not sure who is driving them. Think their idea is to scare/intimidate as many hobby distillers as possible. They don't have the resources to begin to track us all down, but they can try to scare/intimidate us. Join Hobby Distiller's Association and we will show you how to make it happen

Thought we should know who we are dealing with. Robert Angelo is the Deputy Director of the Trade Investigators Division - he is the one who sighed the letters sent out recently. Office is in DC

Glen Tishler - to far down the totem pole to get his picture on the list - is a District Director in the mid-west down to Texas. I assume he reports to Angelo. Office is in St. Paul, Minnesota

http://www.ttb.gov/about/roberta.shtml

http://posttownwinery.com/dwc/TTBContacts.pdf
Offline Novice18  
#169 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:50:33 AM(UTC)
Novice18

"I agree with Alli. This is at best a scare tactic just as the association is making inroads and it threatens the TTB. Granted there are those that are well beyond hobbyist level operating full scale production and distribution of mass quantities of alcohol that give them the press coverage they seek. After all did the news release they sent discuss busting a hobbyist with an empty 10 gallon empty pot put neatly away and less than a few bottles of product? No.

The letter itself is a form letter, mass produced possibly by an intern. Mine came in a window envelope yet they used a mailing label over the window since the letter was simply mass produced. There's government waste at its best. Window envelopes cost more, then the added cost of the mailing labels versus using a real document program such as Word to mail merge the mailing list with the letter making it more official and real.

The association should keep a listing of members who received the letter as evidence of the agency attacking hobbyists versus focusing on those that are distributing for income in a regulated industry. Then while legislation is pending, petition our law makers to influence the agency that such tactics will not be tolerated.

Just greater arguments for organizing and gaining additional supporters!"
Offline Dbart745  
#170 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 4:34:33 AM(UTC)
Dbart745

All well and good. Scare tactic or not, who has been contacted after receiving the letter? Who has called the dept of treasury office? Who has called Angelo's office? Tom hogue from fla? Who has since requested a permit? Who has contacted an atty?
Thank you for answering any of these questions
Offline RCRed  
#171 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:48:03 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I plan to contact them Monday and ask why I got one since I have a permit, and, I filed my reports in January, 2014 as required by Law. I'll let you know what I find out. I did not get my letter until today's mail, so I was waiting.
Offline old stump juicer  
#172 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 8:46:55 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

I gave my letter to my attorney this morning and she is going to see what they are really up too.
All I have in my possession is a 8 gal kettle and racking cane and two fermenters, I don't have a still head or any form of condenser, so I don't feel I'm in any kind of trouble!
My biggest concern is having a bunch of thugs ransacking my property, as you know that they can usually make something out of nothing, and I have several guns and a reloading room that is pretty well stocked! I can almost see the headlines(white conservative male caught with arsenal of weapons, weapons confiscated due to his being found guilty of paying taxes and providing for his family)!
Offline RCRed  
#173 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:05:12 AM(UTC)
RCRed

w/o a condenser/tower, it's just a can. 2- the law reads - assembled - defined as boiler/tower/condenser, set up over (Or connected to) a heat source. One fact to keep in mind about Florida - It's illegal to even OWN distilling equipment w/o a FLABC permit so buying one is a violation and probable cause for the search right there... And in Fl, revenue from fines is second only to tourism Wink Here too, mind ya, I'm just poking fun at my Seminole friends..

Other, more conservative states with more sense(like Texas), understand there are alternative uses, and so a distillation unit is not illegal to possess in Texas. But, it is illegal to make and sell drinking alcohol in Texas w/o a DSP and a state permit. Certain exclusions on production exist for dry counties, but selling is illegal regardless.
Offline raven spirits  
#174 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 7:15:20 AM(UTC)
raven spirits

I got my TTB letter yesterday....as described above....are they tracking Brewhaus customer lists electronically? I'm just making fuel for my truck, so am not concerned, but damn it tastes good when doing my quality control protocal.
Offline admin  
#175 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 7:36:06 AM(UTC)
admin

Raven- do you have your AFP? If you are making fuel and have your AFP (and abide by the rules) then you should be fine. You would not be the first person who is registered and licensed with the TTB that received the letter.

They are most likely using the list that we and other manufacturers / distributors must submit regularly. If they hacked websites to track sales / customers then a lawyer would have a ball with it, I am sure, as would the media and the Senators that the HDA has been working with.
Offline raven spirits  
#176 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 8:19:02 AM(UTC)
raven spirits

Admin, I was speaking about truck fuel with my tongue firmly in cheek.
Offline admin  
#177 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 8:29:57 AM(UTC)
admin

My bad. We do have a lot of people with AFPs, so I assumed incorrectly. Blushing
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#178 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 6:27:31 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

There are several people that purchased from Hillbilly that have received the letter as well. I haven't gotten one yet, but I'm sure I will. They are using the sales information, not internet posts. Sales info holds up in court... internet posts are just ALL LIES.... AMIRITE GUYS? But seriously, the chain of events necessary to turn internet forum info into useful info that holds up in court isn't worth it.
Offline admin  
#179 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 6:41:28 AM(UTC)
admin

What constantly astounds me is the willingness to expend resources on pursuing hobbyists is obviously considerably more than any possible revenue lost. We are not talking about moonshiners selling the stuff (prosecute the hell out of them), but, for the most part, beer and wine makers who have fermented their wash legally. The alcohol itself has been legally produced under the beer and wine making laws, so they are really not being shorted on excise tax. Alcohol is produced during fermentation, not distillation. Distillation just allows one to remove water and potentially harmful yeast byproducts.
Offline RCRed  
#180 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 6:43:52 AM(UTC)
RCRed

I don't believe for an instant they are using forum trolls to collect from online sources. Forum trolls are their own subspeci of bacterial life. Also, no one puts real address info in a forum profile, nor should they put enough location data to pinpoint themselves, just for identity theft sake. There are thousands of forums out there and many do not hide member profile data, and even then you can only hide it among the registered members... Most forum software packages leave it to each individual member as to what is shared. React accordingly :)

TTB is just usin' the sales lists. And, they ain' looking at any OTHER TTB paper work on file either, it appears.. I sat on hold for 35 mins today, will try again to see if I can find out what is going on. I got my AFP permit, did my year end filings, had conversations with agents... and then a letter comes.

So, I'll keep y'all posted what I find out. my bet is that they are hoping states do the TTB's bidding on low level enforcement. Good luck with that dream, as most states are cash strapped already.