logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline McShiner  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:25:13 AM(UTC)
McShiner

Groups: Registered

"I racked my Generation 3 of sweet feed wash about 2 weeks ago. Left the saturated grain mash in my ferment tub (30 gal HDPE) and covered with fresh bottled water. Yesterday I was getting ready to heat up my backset and disolve another 30lbs sugar for Gen 4 and thought I'd peak in on the sleeping grain bed. This is what I saw...[ATTACH=CONFIG]860[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]861[/ATTACH]

Same batch, just from different angles/ spots in the tank.

I'm not making beer, so my question is more...Is it safe to just continue on fermenting a new batch? Can this be skimmed off the top and still be safe for consumption after distilling? That maybe a silly question because I know the distilling temp is going to be above 180°F, however I would like to see what you folks think.

Thanks in advance,
McS"
McShiner attached the following image(s):
lactic2.JPG (93kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
lactic1.JPG (87kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:24:55 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Well you said --covered--with water, I bet the what caused that to grow was not covered because that wouldnt grow under water. I'm sure you added more water but the grain floated up out of the liquid. Can you use it again?? Sure if you want to but I dont think I would but thats just me. It may make the best likker you ever had but I would never find out, givera go and let us know! Like you said the stillin temps will prolly kill whatever is there but.........hmmmmm
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:11:55 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Dumb question but.. Because of the molasses residues, could be a dunder like growth - Looks like some pix I saw on a dunder building thread o'er at GD.. ? Hell, I dunno, I've read so much I'm sponged..

But it is of interest to me as I am planning a simlar backset in my future..
Offline McShiner  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:30:43 AM(UTC)
McShiner

Last night I scooped off the top 1"-2" of grain and best I could of the "growth". Added more water to cover the grain bed even deeper. I'll give it a go! Probably heat up some backset tomorrow, add some 30lbs sugar, 12oz mollasses, and dump 'er in. I'll be gone this w/e for the holiday, so it will just sit there happy or sit there weaping. I don't care because I'll be riding through the Shenandoah mtns. I'll keep ya'll posted of the progress.