logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MTSHINE  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:44:57 PM(UTC)
MTSHINE

Groups: Registered

Hey All,

My first attempt at using my HC PS II is now history. I learned a lot and have some questions. I'm at 4700 feet and my temperatures didn't look right to me. First I did a 50/50 vinegar run. Then a steam run to flush. My steam run sat at 210.5 +/- .3. I used propane and had a difficult time controlling low fire. I had a gallon of cheap wine and wanted to run it to experiment. First though I had to modify the thermocouple assembly to get it closer to the flame and elevate my burner platform to provide more room between the pot and the burner. My modifications worked great. I was able to turn the flame down without it going out and control the flame as well. I tracked the column temp and when it was around 125 and rising I turned on the condenser water. I rushed through to 180 something before I got the head water on and reduced the flame to stabilize. After dinking around for a little while I was able to stabilize around 155 -160. I collected about 20 ml as I had 10% wine and only a gallon. I figured I was in ethanol by now. It stabilized around 165 and eventually crept up to 195 before I shut it down. I thought the temps were a little low so decided to err on the side of caution and shut down then, I was also tired as it was 4:00 am. I wanted to know more about how elevation affected me so I looked up some info. I'm posting what I found. Does this seem right? Is it really this easy... see below

Precise ethanol boiling point...

Whatever your altitude, and the atmospheric pressure on a specific day, this method will let you find your true boiling point.

- Fill a pot with water, place it on a burner and bring to a full boil.
- Place the probe of a digital thermometer in the boiling water, and note the temperature.
- This reference boiling point is applicable to your exact location and atmospheric pressure.
- To find the boiling point of the Ethanol: Multiply the reference boiling point by: 0.81556

Example:
Say your boiling point was 210 deg. F then:
210 X 0.81556 = 171.27 deg. F
Therefore ethanol should boil at that time and place at ≈ 171.3 deg. F.
\
I'm about as green as you get and I hope some of you seasoned fellas can help me out.

I wasn"t sure when to cut because of my temps???

I got about 12 oz. of 80%... again I was using 1 gallon of wine at 10%.

Any suggestions or constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thanks

MT
It's not worth doing if it's not done right...
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 6:33:55 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi MTSHINE, That sounds about right to me as far as the math goes. I'm a lot lower than you are so the only experience I have is boiling water when in the mountains, but the math looks good.
Offline PrinceGnarly  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:33:33 PM(UTC)
PrinceGnarly

Hey bubba! I live at ~5300 ft. so I know what you're going through. Turns out every 1000 ft. is equivalent to 1 in Hg. So at 4700 ft. you'd be at a vacuum of 4.7 in Hg. What does that mean? I don't know I just thought it was fun!

For me EtOH comes over around 74-75*C depending a little on barometric pressure. Compared to 78*C at sea level it's not too big of a difference. However with higher boiling point liquids the difference can become more exaggerated i.e. if you were bp checking an essential oil it would differ by ~12*C.

So I'd collect somewhere in the 74-76*C range if I were you.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:49:14 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Fellas, don't get too hung up on all that temp stuff or think that there's that one perfect temp to use. Remember that where you start is not where your gonna end up as far as temp goes. You may start collecting at 74*C but the end of the run is gonna be somewhere around 195-200*F.
Knowing the math and all the equations is good to know but weather your at sea level or in the Rockies it doesn't really matter because even if your run starts at 74-75*C your not gonna turn your still off if it leaves that temp and it most certainly will do that if you make a complete run.
Now if all you want is what comes at that temp well - OK - but remember, the temp will continue to rise throughout the run because of the ratio of water to etoh and it takes more heat to capture what we are after the longer you cook because of that theory.
I do agree with the OG about temps in higher elevations but still if you make a run from start to finish the temps will change no matter where you are.