logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline captinjack  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:38:43 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Groups: Registered

"Hello All,
Well I did my first two runs over the last few day's. The first one was just my sacrificial run in which I used a gallon jug of some cheap o wine I got at safe way and also 4 or 5 bottles of too old wine I got from friends and I mixed it all with the same amount of water. I heated up the kettle and after 20 min. or so the temp at the top of the tower started climbing, once it hit 90 to 100*f it took off fast and was at 170* before I knew it, I wasn't ready for that but grabbed the water valves and opened them fully as fast as I could and lowered the temp on my control box and got things to stabilize and then adjusted the column flow and pulled off about 150ml of fores and then turned the flow back up and held it in total reflux for 20 min. I then cut back the water flow again and started to collect at about 3 drops a second the heads came off and the tower temp hit 173.3 and stayed there for about 3 hrs . I did play with the water flow to the tower some just to see the effects on the flow. I had the heat set on the amp meter to 7.8 amps... It started out at 92% and slowly went down to 89%. In the middle of the run I increased the flow to where I was getting a flow like a string of beads. I collected all jars at 150ml each so I could start learning the different cuts and smells (boy do those tails stink) After about the 3 hours the temps started to climb and I shut it down at 180* cooled it down cleaned it all up and called it a night...

Now on to my first real run. I mixed up a 5g batch of the gerber neutral which finished out at 10.7% abv. By the time I set up everything and was ready to go it was 12:30 when I turned on the power switch and this time I was going to be ready for the fast tower heat up. I used my hands first on the upper part of the kettle and the bottom of the tower. When the bottom of the tower got so hot that I couldn't hold my hand on it any longer I used my hands to climb up the tower as the heat climbed up I could feel it. And it was very fast and a little over half way up I started the tower water and turned down the power but this time to 7.4 amps which was at 12:55. After the first 15 min I started the water flow to the condenser, full flow for the whole run. I pulled off about 100-150ml of fores and a small amount of heads and than turned up the water for full reflux for an hour. Then I cut the water back and started collecting at about 3 drops a sec. I set aside the first 150ml jar and then started collecting in the parrot and numbering the jars. I am subtracting a half % for the liquid that climbs the proofing meter and it started at 95.5% for the first jar. The tower temp hit 173.2 for 2 1/2 hours and them went to 173.5. I collected 150ml in the first 4 jars and jar 4 was down to 94%. Jars 5-8 were 250ml at 93.5 to 93%. During this time the drip rate was from 3 drops a second to a bead like stream. Jars 9-12 I went back to 150ml. I got 92.5% to 92% in 9-11 and jar 12 dropped to 89% and the drips were slowing down and the temp was climbing. I stopped when it hit 180* and was well into the tail's at 6:30. I'm using 2 water pumps with there own containers, a 32g trash can for the condenser and a 55g plastic drum for the tower. The condenser water temp never got above the mid 70's but the tower water got to the mid 80's and I had to add frozen ice bottles that I had ready half way through the run. I covered the jars with coffee filters screwed on the lid's and I'm letting them sit for 2 days. In all from what I can tell so far I think it came out pretty good. I tried to follow every thing I learned from reading a couple of books but mostly from reading and getting advice from the experienced and even the not as experienced members here on this forum, Thank You! I can see this is going to be a fun hobby. Any feed back is welcome...BigGrin
Captinjack"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:55:01 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hey Jack, it sounds like you had a great run! Congrats!

The only thing I would recommend is: POWER ON = WATER ON (product condenser). That way you'll never get caught short and have flammable vapor escaping. Once the vapor starts coming off the boil, that column will heat up very quickly as you already observed. I stepped away once during a warm-up to visit the head. When I returned I had hi-test vapor sprewing out. It gave me a pretty uneasy feeling ... it'll never happen again.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:55:45 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Captin, sounds like a great first run, good description also. I'll be interested in seeing what your ABV is after blending your run.

I agree with JB about condenser water on right at the start.
Offline captinjack  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:52:42 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Yes, I'm happy with the first run, it wouldn't have come out that way with out the advice from you guys and the other's and the info I learned here on the forum. I do have a question that I haven't seen any info on here unless I just missed it, is reading the proof and trails hydrometer. Is it necessary to adjust for the temperature when reading and if so how is the correct ABV read and the best method of getting the temp of the product coming off the still?
Offline Bushy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:13:31 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi captin, the proper temp for reading the proof is 60 degrees. There should have been a conversion table with the hydrometer that tells the coversions for different temps. If not you can find it on the net.
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:21:59 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

HI cap,
Congrats, sounds like you had some good runs. As others have stated whenever you are charging the boiler you should have the water to the liebig on. On my setup I use the hand feel method on the column. Once the bottom section is to hot to the touch I kill power to the top element. When the top section is hot to the midpoint I start backing off on the controller and increasing column water flow. This gives much better control over the super fast column heat up. I use my proof and trailes along with the parrot for everything but fores. It is really good for seeing the start of tails as the proof will start to drop. I have found that it stays pretty much the same thru heads and hearts. Keep using it, I'm finding the more you use it the better you get at it. I just finished my second run and will be starting up another wash soon.
Maddawgs
Offline Toe Jamb  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 3:05:33 AM(UTC)
Toe Jamb

Hey Capt, Did you toss the sacrificial run of the cheep wine or did you save it for redistilling later?
Offline captinjack  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 3:40:48 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Hi captin, the proper temp for reading the proof is 60 degrees. There should have been a conversion table with the hydrometer that tells the coversions for different temps. If not you can find it on the net.

Hi bushy,
The hydrometers I got from BH didn't come with any conversion table. I already know how to do the conversion on the beer and wine one but I can;t find anything (even on the net.) on the proof and trails hydrometer... I will be sure to take your guys advice and start the water to the product condenser when I start the heat... Now for the bad news, I think I blew it on doing the blends and added a jar of tails that I shouldn't have. I started blending the middle jars first and working my way out, I was pretty happy with what I had and then I added that last jar and then it went bad. I didn't dilute anything before blending because I didn't know any better at the time. Than I read JB's thread on the pot stilling and read your post on diluting and blending, doing small amounts diluting first and taking notes, darn just a little to late. I'm going to let it sit and see what happens...
Offline dieselduo  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 4:01:01 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Offline captinjack  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 4:05:50 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
HI cap,
Congrats, sounds like you had some good runs. As others have stated whenever you are charging the boiler you should have the water to the liebig on. On my setup I use the hand feel method on the column. Once the bottom section is to hot to the touch I kill power to the top element. When the top section is hot to the midpoint I start backing off on the controller and increasing column water flow. This gives much better control over the super fast column heat up. I use my proof and trailes along with the parrot for everything but fores. It is really good for seeing the start of tails as the proof will start to drop. I have found that it stays pretty much the same thru heads and hearts. Keep using it, I'm finding the more you use it the better you get at it. I just finished my second run and will be starting up another wash soon.
Maddawgs

Hi MD,
I'm going to start the product condenser water now when I turn on the power switch. That water stays cool and doesn't really warm up. the tower water was getting into the mid 80's even after adding the ice bottles. I only had 4 of them cause I didn't think I would need any more, it was a warm day and temperatures inside my shop were very high 80's to low 90's... I started collecting in the parrot after the full reflux and 150ml of heads was collected and it good to see the ABV% as it was coming off the still... I have a double batch of Bushys yesterdays run going and it's clearing now, I plan on running it on Sunday... How did your last run go? What size batch did you do and how much product did you get...
Captinjack
Offline captinjack  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 4:10:35 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: Toe Jamb Go to Quoted Post
Hey Capt, Did you toss the sacrificial run of the cheep wine or did you save it for redistilling later?

Hi TJ,
I'm not going to redistill any of it but I didn't toss it either I'll just use it for fire starter for the outdoor fire pit.
Offline captinjack  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 4:25:34 AM(UTC)
captinjack

"
Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post

That doesn't have what I'm looking for.... If necessary (I don't know if anybody does it ) I want to know how to adjust the ABV% using the proof and trails hydrometer to the product temp.
Captinjack"
Offline admin  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 4:36:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Here you go.. www.brewhaus.com/CategoryGrid4.aspx?CategoryId=142 (http://www.brewhaus.com/CategoryGrid4.aspx?CategoryId=142)
Offline Bushy  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 4:44:46 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi captin, see if this is what you are looking for.

http://www.ldcarlson.com...ts/5450_Instructions.pdf
Offline Maddawgs  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:28:55 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
Hi MD,
I'm going to start the product condenser water now when I turn on the power switch. That water stays cool and doesn't really warm up. the tower water was getting into the mid 80's even after adding the ice bottles. I only had 4 of them cause I didn't think I would need any more, it was a warm day and temperatures inside my shop were very high 80's to low 90's... I started collecting in the parrot after the full reflux and 150ml of heads was collected and it good to see the ABV% as it was coming off the still... I have a double batch of Bushys yesterdays run going and it's clearing now, I plan on running it on Sunday... How did your last run go? What size batch did you do and how much product did you get...
Captinjack

Hi Cap,
This run went fantastic. Using the controller you built for my 110v use I found I have pretty good control over power to the element. I started with a 6 gallon variation of Bushy's "yesterday's run" that was about 12% abv and then added all my heads and tails from my previous run giving me about a total abv of 18% (guesstimate). I got 100mls fores, 250mls heads, 18 cups of 93% hearts, and 350mls of tails. Everything is still in coffee filter covered cut jars airing out. I'll do my dilution to 55% and blends this weekend. I would suggest splitting your double batch. When I did mine it was a long 11 hours before it was done, a 6 gallon run is much faster. I'm planning on doing a review on this run as it was the first one using the controller you built for 110v and the results were much better than my run using an rsc.
Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:51:09 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"
Quote:
I was pretty happy with what I had and then I added that last jar and then it went bad.

I'm sure we've all done that ... and I still make that mistake from time to time. Cursing Take your time with blending, just like you do when you're doing your run.

Try this: after airing for a day or two, make really tight cuts -- just the best of the best -- and let the edge jars sit another day or two (you can close them up). Then come back to those edge jars and try them again. Run the gambit ... nose, palate and finish. We're only talking about two, maybe three jars so you're not going to get intoxicated with those edge jars, especially if you dilute enough ... and if they sit for a day or two, it doesn't hurt anything. Be really critical. If anything tastes even slightly wrong, just throw them in with your feints. A small amount of hooch you really like is way better than a lot of hooch you don't like. Sometimes it's hard to avoid the temptation though. Every time I fall prey, I'm always sorry I didn't just pass up that extra jar.

When you have enough feints, you can run them all through your column and recover more of the good stuff. I use baking soda in my feints and that helps a bit."
Offline dieselduo  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:04:08 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

why do you put baking soda in your feints ?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:29:53 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"I dump heads and tails into my feints jug. I know some folks don't consider heads to be part of the feints, but I do. So the baking soda helps clean things up before running the feints through the column.

Heads are esters (an acid plus an alcohol). The baking soda is a base for breaking the bond and neutralizing the acid. So in theory, you end up with more alcohol and some salts (which don't come across). But you need water to help things along so you want to dilute your feints if you do this. I just shoot for 50% or lower.

I tried this several times about a year ago and didn't notice much difference, but I wasn't diluting enough and I wasn't giving it enough time. Now I dilute and give it at least three weeks, usually more -- which isn't a problem since it takes some time to collect enough feints. When I see some of the baking soda settling at the bottom of the jug I just give it a good shake, vent the jug for a few seconds and give it more time. Eventually it all reacts and I'll notice a much cleaner smell."
Offline dieselduo  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:58:06 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

I usually just keep the ends of the heads and tails and then put them in the next run
Offline captinjack  
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 5:07:59 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Here you go.. www.brewhaus.com/CategoryGrid4.aspx?CategoryId=142 (http://www.brewhaus.com/CategoryGrid4.aspx?CategoryId=142)

That is the info I am looking for... I just couldn't find it or get there on the Brewhaus site... How do you get to there?

Quote:
Hi captin, see if this is what you are looking for.

Bushy, Yes that's what I needed...
Thanks Captinjack