logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:31:27 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"Are these people who register and just pop in and post something that usually has nothing to do with the thread.((( I DONT MEAN THE PESTY SPAMMERS))

They post information that is usually old hat to our group. It shows they dont read anything on our forum before posting. I have a hard time not being sarcastic in reply to them.

Perhaps we should post a link to a pet adoption group."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:43:38 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered
Views messages in topic : 804

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"scotty,

Reading is way underrated.From my perspective, it shows a lack of commitment ... like the folks that show up at the gym the Monday after New Year's Day. Tongue To each his own, I suppose. I think they'll eventually come around ... or fade away.

--JB"
Offline Batch  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:40:59 AM(UTC)
Batch

That's why I don't post much. Pretty much every question I had has been answered previously! I'm just patiently waiting for my order to arrive, then share my failures/successes with the board. I've been brewing beer during this delay in my order so I can better understand the fermentation process, etc.
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:57:26 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: Batch Go to Quoted Post
That's why I don't post much. Pretty much every question I had has been answered previously! I'm just patiently waiting for my order to arrive, then share my failures/successes with the board. I've been brewing beer during this delay in my order so I can better understand the fermentation process, etc.

Thats an intelligent approach. I know we all look foreward to your posts regarding you mashing and distilling. My kegorator died before i could make my first all grain beer. I was using it to age cheese.

Dont forget to take specific gravity and potential alcohol readings.

Thanks for the response. :)"
Offline Batch  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:33:22 AM(UTC)
Batch

I built a fermentation chamber out of an old fridge so I now have the ability to maintain a consistent temps. Can't wait to learn more and try different recipes.
Offline googe  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:18:41 AM(UTC)
googe

All I say is no matter how stupid or irrelevant you might think a question is, it's always good to get it out there because there are endless members wanting to ask the same question but are scared to for ridicule. We only have each other to learn by, no one person knows all.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:53:24 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

googe,

In all fairness, I can't say that I've seen any ridicule on this forum since I've been a member. I've seen some harsh criticism that was well deserved (and overdue) in one specific case. I've also observed (and participated in) some passionate debate (which is a good thing IMHO), and there have been some reprimands ... some of which I've both given and received Sad ... but no ridicule. On the contrary, I think folks here are very patient and helpful. Overall, that's the reputation/personality of this particular forum from my experience ... and precisely why I tend to hang my hat here rather than some other forums where things can be quite different.

That said, reading more (doing your homework) displays initiative that will gain respect ... especially when other members have dedicated their time to document things so others can benefit. Even something as simple as framing a question makes a big difference in perception. For example, there's a big difference in asking, "How much sugar should I use for a Birdwatcher's wash?" and "Where can I find the latest Birdwatcher's recipe?" The first may be ignored. In some circles you might get an RTFM! response. The second however, will surely elicit an positive response.

Regards,
--JB
Offline okie  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:15:45 AM(UTC)
okie

I think some people are lazy and would rather ask than research, which means they probably won't succeed in making something as good or better than store bought. I also know it gets pretty tiresome answering the same questions over and over. I was a manager over sales people for about 12 years and I totally understand how frustrating it is.

Hang in there......:-)
Offline RCRed  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:56:10 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The "ask first look later" approach is one of the silliest I have seen on the internet. It's a worldwide library for Christs's sake - reading IS mandatory.

But, that said, I can also tell you that I run a forum, very much like this one, with pictorials and everything about how/what/why you do what you do to achieve the build of a product yourself, versus buying some pre-made POS at a store that won't last two years.

There too, we get an endless diatribe of older well known, crap, along with the questions that people cannot be bothered to do a search on. I even built sticky stacks of posts in each section to illuminate known processes and procedures and the exact sequence from one to the next....

I too try and not asking dumb crap - unless, I had confused myself from reading posts on multiple distilling forums. I like the answers and the humor I get here. I've not yet seen any harshness from any one. I don't mind being told to search, if it's already documented.

But, i do want to make a point in general about how data is arranged - If it's really hard to find, or has a ton of cross talk across 46 pages in a thread, the meaning is lost and quickly. Humans in our modern age are impatient by nature-the speed of the net causes it-every damn thing is Right now or I'll look elsewhere. And sometimes, that's bad, because the links you find out there can either be golden, or some ten day old candy bar left outside....

The cross talk (off topic in a thread) is not so prevelant here, but elsewhere, I have seen where 18 pages of thread had only 2 pages of meaningful relevance. Most times on my sites, we try and prune that and sorta thing and then make a sticky outa the true process, but even then, feelings can get hurt by those whose comments we moved into the off topic area BigGrin

The Vbulletin.org site (where modifications to this forum code comes from) is about the worlds worst. In any given thread there, you see at least 20 posts asking; "Will this work on my version?"(Despite a text block in each modification that clearly lists the versions of the software it works on)...

All it takes is a bit of patience, persistience, and remember to search by different points of view So, understanding things can share two labels of definition allows a wider search perspective. Not to mention that when speaking to folks in other countries, this can affect stuff too. This is especially true with musical material searches, where a song you hear on the bluegrass top 40 was really a celtic tune from 1643, just a different name, and older lyrics..

Now, back to reading... BigGrin
Offline smokeymtnbill  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:18:26 PM(UTC)
smokeymtnbill

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Are these people who register and just pop in and post something that usually has nothing to do with the thread.((( I DONT MEAN THE PESTY SPAMMERS))

They post information that is usually old hat to our group. It shows they dont read anything on our forum before posting. I have a hard time not being sarcastic in reply to them.

Perhaps we should post a link to a pet adoption group.

Alot of the nonsense comes from people who think a T.V. show is all that. This site it alot better than most others I look at for info. Hey look on the bright side, its job security scottyTongue those of us who read much more than we post are greatful for the work done on here."
Offline googe  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:49:06 PM(UTC)
googe

Hi John, not saying you'll get ridicule from this site, seems like decent people here, good to.see. I'm just saying to newbies don't be scared to ask questions but I also agree with what you said about asking the right question .

Cheers
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:42:04 AM(UTC)
scotty

I would like to apply Smokey Mountain justice to some of the latest pests. I want a raise
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:04:36 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Scotty send em on to me I'll show em some Smoky Mountain justice! lol my dad sure did show it to me when i was a kid. I'll second your raise. Thanks for the good work.
Offline scotty  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:33:29 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: johnnyapplepie Go to Quoted Post
Scotty send em on to me I'll show em some Smoky Mountain justice! lol my dad sure did show it to me when i was a kid. I'll second your raise. Thanks for the good work.

OhMyGod :) lol lol"
Offline Highrisen  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:53:32 AM(UTC)
Highrisen

Hey, what are ya'll talkin about here? I didnt feel like reading the thread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:00:07 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

LOL ... I missed the sarchasm at first and was thinking, "You're gotta be kidding me!" Very funny!
Offline scotty  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:15:07 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
LOL ... I missed the sarchasm at first and was thinking, ""You're gotta be kidding me!"" Very funny!

slow johnny b eh!!???"
Offline scotty  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:17:06 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: Highrisen Go to Quoted Post
Hey, what are ya'll talkin about here? I didnt feel like reading the thread

Back in the early 1800s the shiners would distill the bodys of thier enemies."
Offline muadib2001  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:40:43 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Back in the early 1800s the shiners would distill the bodys of thier enemies.
OMG! Ewww!
Offline scotty  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:10:38 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: muadib2001 Go to Quoted Post
omg! Ewww!

from the imigination of scotty lol lol"