logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline div4gold  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2013 12:26:04 PM(UTC)
div4gold

Groups: Registered

Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 4:41:20 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Div - Damn good read

items of note:

Quote:
My neighbor, for example, knew how to make kerosene for lamps. He never went hungry.

Quote:
What should you stockpile?

Also alcohol of a type that keeps well. The cheapest whiskey is a good trading item.
Distilled elements are going to be one of the most important things to have, or be able to produce - not just for fuel, but antiseptic, cleaning, as well as an anesthetic, the list goes on....

I have gardened for years as a stress relief thing and I like fresh food and cannin' it for later. Keeps me to my roots despite my formal career of 38 years. I have been questionable about governments since I grew up under the cloud of the Cold War, and a father who fought with Patton's 3rd, and later in Korea who told me, "Assume not a second, that this will all be here tomorrow - some damn fool can decide to destroy it all..Don't be a fool and let him.. We didn't, And you mus'nt either-fight to survive"

I have also tried to live outside formal cities for a long time now, by definition. I can tell you there are at least 50-60 armed carjacking attempts in Dallas a year(80% are sucessfull). It's not unusual to hear 3-5 losing their lives every week in the metroplex.

From an early age, I was taught to fix everything, even to the point we had to call soneone to come nd fix what we fixed (but we watched, and saw why). I was always really annoyed about having to do that verus runnin and loafgin' with my friends, but My Paa, he knew, he planted seed, just in case..

Quote:
Was salt expensive?

Yes, but coffee and cigarettes were even more expensive. I had lots of alcohol and traded it without problems. Alcohol consumption grew over 10 times as compared to peacetime.
I have read this as well in other sources about this subject and on some prep blogs (No, not a "prepper", just prepared and there is no such thing as too much information-It's like ammo)