logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bodhammer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:47:00 PM(UTC)
Bodhammer

Groups: Registered

"Because I don't have my still I'm searching the forums. I read a thread somewhere over the last couple of weeks where someone had added what I think were 3"" parts from http://www.stilldragon.com/3-sgk.html to add plates to their PSII HC still. This might be an interesting mod down the road and one of the reasons I purchased from Brewhaus.

I can't find the thread! I'm not sure if it was here, homedistiller, or artisandistiller. Can anyone help me? I would like the exact list of parts I would need to add this to my still at some later date.

TIA,
B."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:04:33 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

What would adding plates accomplish that lots of copper mesh packing can not do? :)
Offline Bodhammer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:20:19 PM(UTC)
Bodhammer

my limited understanding is that the plate stills add a level of control over the fractionalzation (sp?) that a normal reflux still does not. My ignorance is vast, that is why I want to find the thread! Confused
Offline captinjack  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:28:07 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi Bodhammer,
I believe the still you are talking about is Bushy's. It isn't a PSII HC but a PSII, a 2" column. It is in the "show off your stills" thread in the Etiquette and Ideas section. I didn't see any 3' plates on Stilldragon site...
Captinjack
Offline Bodhammer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:44:23 PM(UTC)
Bodhammer

Offline Bushy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 03, 2013 5:44:39 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Bodhammer, those plates are 4" plates added to my PSII 2" column. They are for increasing the ABV while maintaining a greater flavor aspect of the mash. It really has nothing to do with what copper mesh does.

My reason for incorporating them into my still is I'm concentrating on whiskey and rums at this time. I very rarely run a straight neutral anymore, only when my wife wants some for mixing fruits into.

The parts list is extensive as you need to order each part of the torpedo. If you are interested in ordering I suggest you e-mail them for a contact phone number for Larry. He is very helpful. I would also suggest getting the "Sight Glass Kits",SGK, and some extra O rings for them. I also purchased a couple of extra Sight Glass's, the glass len's, as I can be a real cluts around glass. The SGK's give a cleaner profile and once mounted and tested to make sure of seal you won't be taking them off until they need a new seal or a lens gets broke.

Hope this helps.
Offline Bodhammer  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:24:57 AM(UTC)
Bodhammer

I did tag Larry but he did not have anything that would work with the 3" column except to us a 4x3x4" tee but that costs about $50 more than the torpedo with the extra fittings. Just to confirm, the Torpedo top housing is 2" on the upper fitting, correct? I need something 3". For the bottom he does have a 4" to 3" that would sub for your 4" x 2". I did ask him if he would consider making a 4 " to 3" torpedo head.

It will be months if not years before I want to do this so I will learn how to run with what I have coming before spending any more money.

Questions - Could I not do the same as what you are doing by making pure runs with the reflux and then flavor runs in pot still mode and mixing? Do the plates really give you that much more control or are you doing it for time efficiency and volume?
Offline ateene  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:01:16 AM(UTC)
ateene

I'm also looking at adding the 4" bubble cap plate to my 3" column. One option is to use a couple of the SD 4" to 3" reducers with their 4" Bubble Tees. They are looking into building 4x3 Torpedo using the 4" to 3" reducer, so it may be available sometime in the near future.

http://forum.moderndisti...p?f=33&t=1652#p26432
Offline Bodhammer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:26:55 AM(UTC)
Bodhammer

Awesome - I did not know about that forum, there goes another evening!

This is what I just ask Larry about, this looks like how you would have to do it today:
$55 4x4x3 Custom Bubble Tee
$60 - 4"x3" reducer short x2 $30 each
$9 - copper plate
$8 - copper downcomer
$35 - bubble caps, 5 each
$7
$30 3" Sight Glass Kit (SGK3)
$1.50- 3" Silicone Gasket $.75each
$2.00- 4" Silicone Gasket $1.00 each
$26.50 - clamp, 4" x 2
$21.00 -3" Clamp x 2 $10.50 each
$218 total