logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bigpizzaguy  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 12:18:59 PM(UTC)
Bigpizzaguy

Groups: Registered

Hi all, so I have a problem, I have fermented before but small scale, Im 17 still live with parents so I do it all secretly. I want to make more moonshine but I cant without my mash being larger, I live beside a forest so I was wondering if you smart folks would know a way to ferment outside ?
Offline okie  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:32:46 AM(UTC)
okie

I think you would have a lot of critters getting to it. I live in the city and we have coons and possums everywhere. I would imagine next to a forest there are a lot of bigger animals that can knock things over and get to it.

Temperature control is a big factor to any ferment. I think that doing it outside is much tougher and it would need watching constantly. My guess.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:00:01 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

got a spare refrigerator??
Offline Bigpizzaguy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:07:10 AM(UTC)
Bigpizzaguy

Right thanks for the replies, I have an old house and before I was fermenting small scale with bottles under my floorboards with and airlock on the top to stop the smell, and regarding animals there arent any because 1. I live in Scotland , and 2. a game keeper controls the animal populus so it should be fine. I was just wondering if there is anyway of keeping it mildly warm like heat it up once and again, wrap tin foil or old blankets to keep the heat in ?
Offline Hokey  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:43:01 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi pizzaguy, Only thing I can think of is wrap as many blankets as you can around it. Top, bottom sides etc. Fasten blankets with string or large elastic. Try a hand warmer under it. Not right against the plastic but with one layer of blanket in between. You would have to change them out when they get depleted. Kinda sounds like a crazy idea but hey if your desperate??? Let us know how it works if you do it.

BE SAFE.
Offline Bigpizzaguy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 11:39:54 AM(UTC)
Bigpizzaguy

haha thats a good idea hokey, I'm a bit of a newb but I was looking up making beer and a post said the beer mash can ferment at like 10 celsuis so I was windering could I leave it out during the day and just give it a quick warm up at night, or would the water the mash is in need to constantly be at 10 celsuus ?
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 12:34:11 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

low fermentation temps require a lager yeast. Build an insulated box. then use a ranco control to turn the heat on or off at a given temp-- Use a brew belt, a light bulb, an electric heat pad or even a small electric heater- set the control for 65 degrees and you will have a winner.
Offline Hokey  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 2:28:54 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Scotty is correct. A lager yeast would be best. I assumed there was no electricity in the woods. Constant temp is preferred but not necessary. 50 degrees F is pretty cool. Give it a shot. You are young. Know the consequences and BE SAFE. Good luck