logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline captinjack  
#21 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:24:29 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: flht01 Go to Quoted Post
How time flies ...

I'm doing a few things a little more consistent and getting decent results, considering I'm still new to this too. I'm also using RCRed's DistilliTrak to help remember settings and their results, etc... and it helps.

I do stripping runs with high heat, single roll of mesh and the coolant to the condenser only. When I get enough low wines to make 7 or 8 gallons diluted to 35% I do a spirit run. I do the spirit runs with low heat and a single roll of copper in the top column. I added a needle valve to the reflux tubes and feed them from the bottom up. I run just a trickle of coolant to them, water flow on the return line off the tubes is a broken stream and the water is fairly hot. The biggest improvement for me has been making stripping runs and then a spirit run. Also, I'm not good enough to blend. It's taking all I can do just to make decent cuts and I'm giving the hearts some time to oak before judging the results. It's decent now but a few months should make it a lot better. The white can be used for mixing but not sipping, it still has a little bite to it. I haven't tried the white after aging a little... yet.

Oh, this method is the way I've been running both the UJSSM and both of NCHooch's recipes, the all grain and the gumball that uses the spent grains from the all grain.

Hi flht01
I haven't had any time in a while to do any distilling but I'm starting back up again and I'm doing an all grain bourbon (for the first time) that's in the fermenter now and I'm just looking for a few more details on what you doing...

1. On your spirit runs are you just using the top column or both upper and lower?

2. It sounds like you are using the reflux cooling to the tower. Do you hold it in any reflux (I'm not even sure you can with only a single roll of copper) before you start collecting?

3. Any other details you can think of that isn't already mentioned will be appreciated.

I'm also going to do the gumball with the spent grains when the first one is done...

Thanks Captinjack
Offline flht01  
#22 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 1:00:15 PM(UTC)
flht01

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post

1. On your spirit runs are you just using the top column or both upper and lower?

I read it on one of the threads on this forum, dieselduo I think, mentioned using both columns with one roll of mesh for a pot still run. I have mesh packed around the tubes and, after trying it both ways (top column only and both columns), I settled on one roll in the bottom column just because it has a screen that keeps the mesh in the column and not the boiler. I probably could just use the copper around the tubes and it would be enough to remove any nasties but haven't noticed any loss of flavor using the extra roll of mesh in the bottom column.

Quote:

2. It sounds like you are using the reflux cooling to the tower. Do you hold it in any reflux (I'm not even sure you can with only a single roll of copper) before you start collecting?

I do have a little coolant running thru the tubes. I don't have a flow meter installed so the flow rate can be best described as a broken stream on the discharge hose. I start the coolant pump when warming up and just leave it on until finished. I don't do anything special to try holding it in reflux but I do turn the controller down to about 8.0 amps (240 volt 5500 element) when I feel the heat climbing from the boiler to the column. It takes longer to start collecting but I think it helps separate the cuts a little and I need all the help I can get with that.

Quote:

3. Any other details you can think of that isn't already mentioned will be appreciated.

The only other thing I can think of is takeoff rate. I'm getting about 250 mL every 10 to 12 minutes and it seems to be helping me make cleaner cuts.

Keep us posted on your results