logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tracyman0111  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:37:37 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Groups: Registered

"Hey all,

Just put together a wash this morning; 5gal water, 5lbs sugar, 4 cans frozen grape juice and 5 tbsps of distillers yeast. I'm gonna run it slow and low, hope for around 3 qts at ~100 proof, and dissolve a handful of grape Jolly Ranchers in each qt. Tried a similar idea with blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers, turned out excellent. What's everyone think? I'm a little green, so I'm trying to get a good go on some simple mashes before I move up to grains and things like that.

Travis"
Offline Tracyman0111  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:38:21 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Oh I almost forgot, I got a reading of 1.060 immediately following the yeast pitch.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:21:01 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
boy with only 5 lbs of sugar that sounds like your wishing for too much. Run it and let the distillate decide how much you get. Make good cuts ( or collect in small jars) just like any other run and after the fact smell and taste and THEN combine for your finished product quantity. You should do all right but 3 quarts sounds like alot.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 8:26:34 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Heeler, when I posted that, I had just put the mash together maybe 30 minutes beforehand. After reading your post, I said hell with it and added another 3 lbs of sugar. It's bubbling and churning away pretty good right now, I have it wrapped in an electric blanket at a steady 75 degrees.
Offline curtsat15  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:36:45 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

Good call Tracyman. Seemed to me like you were a little light on the sugar. I run mostly apple mashes, and with even 7 pounds of apples I still put in 7-8 pounds of sugar. Takes an extra day or 2 for the ferment to finish sometimes, but it's worth it, and sugar is cheap.