logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline smurray316  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:35:26 AM(UTC)
smurray316

Groups: Registered

Just got the email that my PSII HC was dropped off at the front door! Just hope its still there by the time I get home....
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:40:45 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Congratulations ! Hope you enjoy the hobby
Offline captinjack  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:51:46 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Glad to here it. That's one more order closer to mine, I'm still looking at nearly 2 more months before mine arrives... What are you going to mix up for your first mash/wash?
Captinjack
Offline smurray316  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:13:09 AM(UTC)
smurray316

I'm going to use up the turbo yeast first with some sugar washes then I will switch to better yeast and continue with the sugar washes till I'm comfortable. When I think I have the reflux figured out I want to try doing some sweet feed in pot still mode. I ordered the silver fermentation kit so I'm going to clean everything tonight and start the turbo yeast sugar wash tonight.
Offline captinjack  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:00:25 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi Smurray,
You might want to check out Bushy's thread "Yesterdays Run" he has a good write up of using the turbo yeast and adding some of the sugar over a period of several day's and it produces less off flavors that way. That's what I'm going to do when I do my first wash...
Captinjack
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:15:38 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: smurray316 Go to Quoted Post
Just got the email that my PSII HC was dropped off at the front door! Just hope its still there by the time I get home....

Hi smurray,
Congrats, your going to love it. Post up some pics when you get it setup.
Maddawgs
Offline r1058kjr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:24:20 PM(UTC)
r1058kjr

Just to get an idea when my PS II HC will get here, when did you place your order??? This wait time time is a killer!!!
Thanks!!!
Offline smurray316  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 12:41:12 AM(UTC)
smurray316

"So when I got home it was like Christmas for me! Everything was there except the thermometer.... I have read bushy's post and I am using that at my model but with some small changes. I started the wash last night, I boiled about a gallon of water and added 2 1/2 lbs of sugar and then did that again. I topped off with cold water to 5.5 gallons. When it was at 83 degrees I added the turbo 48 yeast. If i read the hydrometer right it was at a sg of 1.086. I started it at midnight and this morning at 7 the airlock was bubbling away. Over the next couple of days I plan on adding another 2.5 lbs of sugar with some water and doing that again when the ferment slows down.

r1058kjr, I ordered my still on 1/28/13 and the eta for the kettel when I placed the order was 3/8/13. It shipped out Monday night and was in NC Thursday morning."
Offline blaztaz  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 8:18:32 AM(UTC)
blaztaz

Congrats!! Mine should be shipped this week. I had a 3/8/13 delivery estimate on mine as well. I called last week (too eager and can't stand not knowing) and got the sad news that the welder has been out sick, so there is a slight delay. They are thinking it will ship tomorrow 3/19/13. Can't blame a guy for getting sick, but man it is hard waiting :).
Offline sawman10  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 8:34:21 AM(UTC)
sawman10

I am still a month out on delivery, but it is giving me time to get everything else organized.
Offline smurray316  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:18:31 PM(UTC)
smurray316

Just for a small update, my wash is close to done, I have a total of 15 lbs of sugar in the bucket filled to the 25 liter mark. I added the last 2 lbs Monday night. I hooked all the cooling lines up to the tower and leak checked it. Found one slight leak but fixed it. I'm off tomorrow and plan on running 2 gallons of vinegar and water for cleaning and then run it right after with a 5 liter box of wine and some water. I'm hoping the sugar wash will be done Friday, clear it Saturday and run it Sunday.
Offline captinjack  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:45:06 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi Smurry,
That's sounds like a good plan,get that water and vinegar in there and boil the piss out of it, then you should be good to go. Did you get a hydrometer reading ( SG ) before you pitched your yeast? Just wondering how it came out. Let us know how it turn's out and how much. Give's me something else to read while I'm waiting on mine... If you got some time post up some pictures of your rig...
Captinjack

Never mind about the SG I forgot you said it in your earlier post...
Offline smurray316  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:51:28 AM(UTC)
smurray316

"Quick update....Thrusday I ran a gallon of vinegar and a gallon of water for the cleaning run, no leaks or anything and I thought I had i good idea of what was going on. I rinsed it out and got her ready for the wine/water. I put a 5 liter box of wine and 5 liters of water and started. I guess I got it hot to fast cause when
I first started getting something out of the condenser I turned the water on to the tower and it slowed the drips down some but I was never able to get to the point where nothing came out of the condenser. I collected 125 mL of the frist stuff and set to the side. It still smelled like wine/rubbing alcohol after I started collecting more. The temp held steady right around 172-174 at the tower. I ran it longer and got about half a quart and then checked the abv and to my shock it was right at 87%. All together I had about 3/4 of what I'm assuming would be hearts and tails. I dont think it would taste good if I drank it but I shut it down and cleaned the still out. I'm guessing my problem as to why I always had something coming out of the condenser was cause I got it way to hot so tomorrow I will be heating up the wash very slowly. Now the wash I'm excited about.... I racked it off yesterday into the kettle to clean the bucket and I could taste the alcohol when I started the siphon and after the bucket was clean, I dumped it back in and added the sparkolloid to let it start to clear. I smelled the inside of the kettle and man was the alcohol strong smell so I have hope there. The only bad thing is my hydrometer is broken so tonight on my way home I'm stopping to get one for the final reading. It is 15 lbs of sugar filled to the 25 liter mark so I think I should get some good stuff tomorrow!"