logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline poppy-cob  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:35:57 PM(UTC)
poppy-cob

Groups: Registered

yep....I might have let the wash ferment too long......need help..............I had a sweet feed wash ferment for 11 days cause I just didn't have the time to run it.......now it SMELLS LIKE VINEGAR......my question is can I run it or is it too late ....
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:07:57 PM(UTC)
Bushy

I'd go ahead and run it through in reflux. The worst that can happen is it will clean your still and you'll have some very strong vinegar.

It must have gotten some wild yeast started in it some how. If your not going to run it when it's done you should sipon it of the traub into a container that it will fill to the top and keep it in a cool place. That way there is no room for air in the container to breed anything.
Offline poppy-cob  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:58:34 PM(UTC)
poppy-cob

well I ran 5 gals and it came out low proof about 130 and still smelled like vinegar............tossed the rest.........NASTY STUFF
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2013 2:05:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I got a ?? or two.......was your wash in a airlocked fermenter? It sounds like it had to much access to O2. Thats what happens when we leave our fermenter open and allow freerange oxygen to circulate. Can I ask for details of the process you used during fermentation? Let us all learn something form the ooops.

And 11 days is nowhere near too long to ferment, actually it may not be long enough depending on the yeast you used. I'm pretty sure THATS not what caused the issue."
Offline poppy-cob  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2013 3:58:07 AM(UTC)
poppy-cob

heeler........I'm fermenting 20 gals in a 30 gal pickle barrel so there is alot of head space and using a 3ft tube ina jar of water as a bubbler (air lock), this was batch #6 in this barrel but, this batch didn't seem to be bubbling much so like an idiot I opened this batch too many times I guess.........
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2013 9:16:47 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"yeah maybe so, imagine this for a minute......a 5 gallon bucket or fermenter, its full to about 2.5 inches from the top. You've made your wash,added your yeast and capped it then added your airlock, she's sealed up and ready to go. Once its starts fermenting the yeast will add a layer of co2 inside which keeps o2 from entering. Of course you know that ethanol and co2 are bi-products of fermentation. As the yeast grow and consume the sugars in the wash they expell the bi-products, again its that layer of co2 inside and on top of the wash that protects your wash from the oxygen thats outside.
With your bigole bucket and all that head space and the fact that you kept opening it up to check on it well that was your over oxygenation source I bet.
Next time not so much head space (more liquid) the right amount of yeast for a ferment that size and a good airlock ---and no peeking."
Offline poppy-cob  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2013 7:20:07 PM(UTC)
poppy-cob

NO PEEKING!!!...........whers the fun in that..........ok I'll bring the liquid level up and TRY to control my urge to peek crunching the numbers now.........thanks h
Offline poppy-cob  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:37:00 AM(UTC)
poppy-cob

"FYI guys..........the hooch that I did get lost all the vinegar smell after it aired out for a day.........yep, and I tossed the rest of it........what a dumb move that was.........one mistake after another.
well, I always said that when it came to the school of hard nocks that I am an honor graduate!"