logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Outland  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 11:55:06 PM(UTC)
Outland

Groups: Registered

"The wife found a recipe in last week's Sunday paper about Coppa, an Italian pork salumi....some folks call it copacola (which is a type of coppa). All salami is salumi, but not all salumi is salami. Salami is ground meat put in a casing. Salumi is cured meat.
Any way, we brought some info to a butcher and he said they'd just slaughtered a pig and to come back it 3 days. Americans don't cut up carcasses like the Italians so we couldn't just go get the cut at a grocery store. Its a muscle the starts at the cheek and runs down to the shoulder. The pig was local and free range
So we get a 6 lb chunk of meat: rubbed coarse salt, coarse ground black pepper and chopped rosemary on to it; seal in a large ziplock bag, weigh it down and refrigerate for 4 days.
Wednesday we'll take it out, rinse off, rub with dry white wine and hang it in a basement closet in a cloth bag
44 degrees for about 12 weeks. Its done when it has lost 35% of original weight.

My grandfather used to cure meats...proscuitto, pancetta and coppa and they were to die for. Now I have to wait"
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 12:09:21 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

dont you use any nitrate or nitrite to conteol bacteria??
Offline Outland  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 12:21:35 AM(UTC)
Outland

No, just a lot of salt. Since this is a "primal" cut, the interior is safe. This is how folks cured meats before nitrites, a 100 yrs ago. Supposedly bad bacteria need higher temps and low salt environment. The pig (apparently he had a name :) ) was free range so wasn't exposed to the diseases of feedlot and crowded conditions.

Forgot to add.....after wine rinse, its rubbed with fine ground black pepper and then hung in basement
Offline okie  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 2:40:04 AM(UTC)
okie

Now that is back to basic's. Americans need more of this. Kudos Outland and let us know how it turned out.
Offline old stump juicer  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2014 11:37:06 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

I've been planing to purchase a few hundred lbs of coarse salt to store in plastic barrels just for emergency meat curing. I've already purchased several books on salt curing and both hot and cold smoking, you never know what we may be faced with if the economy continues to deteriorate and this is cheep insurance!
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 12:35:27 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I have charticure and salumi books but so far have only tried a Virginia ham. I have a small dorm refer that has a remote thermostat so I can cure in the summer too. So far we used the ham for soup but im still only thinking about curing. I use the refer for a cheese cave now.