logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jctab73  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:09:16 PM(UTC)
Jctab73

Groups: Registered

I have had excellent success with my runs, using my PSII, in reflux mode, along with using bottled water,spring water that is. I guess the question at hand is, am I waisting my time and money on the bottled water? I hate change...... I also have the same great results in pot still mode.?????Cursing
Offline beer30  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:30:23 PM(UTC)
beer30

not knowing your tap water and the point on change and also enjoying your results why?? keep doing what your happy with til you feel you might want to try something diferent
Offline Wewtster  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:36:09 PM(UTC)
Wewtster

Depends on the quality of your water. I'm sure spring water will make a difference in a top shelf process but you're distilling.. Extracting alcohol from water..not much ends up in your end product.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:55:02 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"jctab,

Chances are you know as much (or more) about your own water as you do the water you're paying top dollar for. Some of those so-called ""spring"" water vendors would have you believe they're drawing from the fountain of youth which flows handsomely down natural waterfalls into a pristine pool etched out of solid rocks. Then when you do some investigation you find out they're just drawing from the same aquifer as everyone else. What's the worse that could happen? Your yeast get a little stressed ... so you end up drawing an extra 250 mL of heads with your PSII?

And those RO systems are getting less and less expensive. Depending on how often you put down a wash, it could pay for itself in short order.:)

Give your tap water a shot.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline curtsat15  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 1:20:09 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

I've had no issues at all with tap water. I just boil it first then cook my mash in it.
Offline Jctab73  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:26:19 AM(UTC)
Jctab73

I have a sweet feed and a sugar wash cooking as we speak right from the tap. I will let you all know in about a week. Thanks for the feedback.
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:12:43 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

"I tried rain water for a ferment, but it didnt turn out well and i gave up on it. I have access to well water, but not in the mood to tote it in the truck then pack it to the shed. So I just use tap water from the facet.

On my cuts I tried distilled water but didnt like the taste, so i now draw up some tap water and let it sit a couple days uncapped to let the chlorine escape. It definately improves the flavor, IMHO. I keep intending to draw up my ferment water a few days earlier and let it ""bubble off"", but i keep forgetting.

After a couple drinks the tap water shine tastes just fine !!! LOLBigGrin

Farmin"
Offline Jctab73  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 12:13:00 PM(UTC)
Jctab73

Roger that Farmin. It's business as usual with the ferment. The locks are steady poppin. I couldn't agree more with you,using the settled out tap water for cutting.ttys
Offline Maddawgs  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 9:55:59 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Jctab73 Go to Quoted Post
I have had excellent success with my runs, using my PSII, in reflux mode, along with using bottled water,spring water that is. I guess the question at hand is, am I waisting my time and money on the bottled water? I hate change...... I also have the same great results in pot still mode.?????Cursing

Hi Jcab73,
I boil my tap water for about 5 or 10 minutes then let it cool and aerate it for a few hours. Boiling gets all the crap out of it and the aeration will put oxegen back in. I use Poland Spring bottled water (from a real spring in Poland Maine) to dilute to drinking proof.
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:38:54 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Aerating for a few hours is interesting. I always was afraid that my 1 hour of aerating could cause a problem--- No idea what kind though-- ill increase my aerating time now--- I wish more folks would aerate not just stir vigorously. The better the oxygen supply at pitching the stronger the yeast populating will be.
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:30:43 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Well Scotty ole boy, youd be awful proud of me...I broke down and sent mama to the store and got me an aquarian pump and some hose and let my latest incarnation (or is it an incantation??), of rye aerate about 7 hours yesterday. Today I added some vitamins, yeast and such to my ferment and gave it a good mixing with my thin set mixer. I capped it off and am waiting the earliest tidings!
farmin
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:36:37 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: Farmin in the woods Go to Quoted Post
Well Scotty ole boy, youd be awful proud of me...I broke down and sent mama to the store and got me an aquarian pump and some hose and let my latest incarnation (or is it an incantation??), of rye aerate about 7 hours yesterday. Today I added some vitamins, yeast and such to my ferment and gave it a good mixing with my thin set mixer. I capped it off and am waiting the earliest tidings!
farmin

An incantation can never hurt in this crazy hobby of ours :: In regard to such long aeration, I would also be inclined to put the wash under airlock right away. Then after a day or two rack off the lees into another fermenter under lock again. It should start making tiny bubbles in the wash in less than 2 hours with all that aerating available to allow yeast to start the population of the liquid."
Offline Bushy  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:38:17 AM(UTC)
Bushy

I boil up 3 gallons of water the day before mashing and let it set over night. The next day before I start mashing I start aerating the boiled water with a towel over the top of the pot. It usually gets to aerate for at least 3 hours, more usually, before I pour the mash in.
One time I tried to aerate the mash after pouring in the fermenter, before pitching yeast, and I won't do that again. Went to the shop for about 30 minutes and when I came back I had foam bubbling out of the fermenter onto the floor.
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:44:48 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

"Then after a day or two rack off the lees into another fermenter under lock again. It should start making tiny bubbles in the wash in less than 2 hours with all that aerating available to allow yeast to start the population of the liquid."

Just to be clear, your saying you dont believe in fermenting on the grains? I've read pro and con, and have had mixed results, but I think it was an inferior grind of corn. I bought some once that was supposed to be ground finer than cracked and it was, but smelled like, and tasted like corn cob. (trust me on that, i grew up on the farm). I dumped the grain??, and dont buy their corn anymore.

Your thoughts please Scotty.

Farmin
Offline Maddawgs  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:33:08 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
I boil up 3 gallons of water the day before mashing and let it set over night. The next day before I start mashing I start aerating the boiled water with a towel over the top of the pot. It usually gets to aerate for at least 3 hours, more usually, before I pour the mash in.
One time I tried to aerate the mash after pouring in the fermenter, before pitching yeast, and I won't do that again. Went to the shop for about 30 minutes and when I came back I had foam bubbling out of the fermenter onto the floor.

Hi bushy.
I start to aerate the first 3 gallons while they are still hot (about 135f). After I mix up the 2.5 gallon wash I add it to the still aerating 3 gallons and continue aerating for a few hours. In the brewhaus bucket there is enough head room so the foam does'nt overflow. Just before pitching I stop aeration, give a gentle stir to knock the foam down, stir in the yeast and cover with airlock. Works pretty good so far.
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:24:40 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: Farmin in the woods Go to Quoted Post
"Then after a day or two rack off the lees into another fermenter under lock again. It should start making tiny bubbles in the wash in less than 2 hours with all that aerating available to allow yeast to start the population of the liquid."

Just to be clear, your saying you dont believe in fermenting on the grains? I've read pro and con, and have had mixed results, but I think it was an inferior grind of corn. I bought some once that was supposed to be ground finer than cracked and it was, but smelled like, and tasted like corn cob. (trust me on that, i grew up on the farm). I dumped the grain??, and dont buy their corn anymore.

Your thoughts please Scotty.

Farmin

I have no opinion about fermenting on the grain-- i never do it. Racking off the lees is racking off the yeast that has fallen to the bottom. But now let me contradict myself. I stir before transferring to a final fermenter and only rack off lees just before i add clarifying agents.

Sorry but i think i confused this thread instead of helping. Sad
Offline Jctab73  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:16:47 AM(UTC)
Jctab73

Better late than never. The neutral came out text book. No offs anywhere in site , the yield and proof were typical as that of the bottled water. The sweet feed is slowing but still moving after 7 days. So in a nutshell, stop wasting your money on that bottled water crap. Fill some buckets out of the tap, let it sit for a day or two than do your thing.
Offline 1Biker77  
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:58:45 AM(UTC)
1Biker77

I'm on unfiltered well water, I use it for both washing and proofing, and love it. I don't bother boiling any of it, and all my friends that have been lucky enough to try my whiskey cant get over how much smoother it is and tastes over store bought. Somewhere I heard beer and wine brewers prefer hard water to soft for fermenting, as the minerals really improve on the taste. My two cents anyway.
Offline Jctab73  
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:26:05 AM(UTC)
Jctab73

Well I have ran around 7 or 8 times since this post with just plain old tap water and I or anyone else for that matter can tell the difference. The onlY thing I haven't tried yet is proofing with it. This weekend sounds like a good time to try.