logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jtmarsh  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:05:38 PM(UTC)
jtmarsh

Groups: Registered

"hey everybody! so, i am a noob to distilling and have ran my first 2 semi-successful batches using my PSII and a 1500W hot plate with RSC. My questions are the following, and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
[LIST=1]
[/LIST]
[LIST=1]
  • How long should I expect for a 10 gallon run to take from turning on the hot plate to finished distilling?
  • Are there any tricks to getting the mash up to temp quicker to induce a boil quicker?
  • What are feasible alternatives to using the hot plate? Propane? Keg with internal elements? etc.

• [/LIST]
    My runs have been taking 12+ hours and generally result in me giving up about 2am and going to bed with only 1/2 gallon of hooch. I am learning a lot more about mash, recipes, and fermentation, so I am working on fine tuning that end, but it would be nice to cut that time down some from what it is. I am anxious to see a whole batch through, but I usually get up about 5am, so when 2am rolls around, I am dead.

I am an Engineer and have a bunch of buddies who are helping me out with this issue, and we have come up with some ideas, but I would like to see what solutions others have found on the forum. Any help you guys could provide would help me out tremendously. Some of our ideas are ""over engineered"" and getting really expensive! haha.

Thanks in advance,

Jason"
  • Offline Maddawgs  
    #2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:44:37 PM(UTC)
    Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: jtmarsh Go to Quoted Post
    hey everybody! so, i am a noob to distilling and have ran my first 2 semi-successful batches using my PSII and a 1500W hot plate with RSC. My questions are the following, and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
    [LIST=1]
  • How long should I expect for a 10 gallon run to take from turning on the hot plate to finished distilling?
  • Are there any tricks to getting the mash up to temp quicker to induce a boil quicker?
  • What are feasible alternatives to using the hot plate? Propane? Keg with internal elements? etc.
    [/LIST]
    My runs have been taking 12+ hours and generally result in me giving up about 2am and going to bed with only 1/2 gallon of hooch. I am learning a lot more about mash, recipes, and fermentation, so I am working on fine tuning that end, but it would be nice to cut that time down some from what it is. I am anxious to see a whole batch through, but I usually get up about 5am, so when 2am rolls around, I am dead.

I am an Engineer and have a bunch of buddies who are helping me out with this issue, and we have come up with some ideas, but I would like to see what solutions others have found on the forum. Any help you guys could provide would help me out tremendously. Some of our ideas are "over engineered" and getting really expensive! haha.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

• Hi Jason,
    Welcome to the forum. I would think that with a 15 gallon kettle and 10 gallon wash using a just a 1500 watt hotplate that your heat up time is around 2 hours. If you could add an additional heat source like an internal heating element this could shave an hour off your heat up time. Do you have the PS11 or the PS11HC. with the PS2 I think run time for 6 gallons is about 11 hours. My time for 12 gallons was 11 hours on my PS2HC. Gnerally a 3 inch column is twice as fast as a 2 inch column in reflux mode. Hope this helps you out.
    Maddawgs
    Offline jtmarsh  
    #3 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:03:20 AM(UTC)
    jtmarsh

"
    Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
    Hi Jason,
    Welcome to the forum. I would think that with a 15 gallon kettle and 10 gallon wash using a just a 1500 watt hotplate that your heat up time is around 2 hours. If you could add an additional heat source like an internal heating element this could shave an hour off your heat up time. Do you have the PS11 or the PS11HC. with the PS2 I think run time for 6 gallons is about 11 hours. My time for 12 gallons was 11 hours on my PS2HC. Gnerally a 3 inch column is twice as fast as a 2 inch column in reflux mode. Hope this helps you out.
    Maddawgs

Maddawgs,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like everything is normal for what I have going on, maybe I just need to plan my timing a little better, possibly getting everything ready the night before and setting a timer to start the hot plate at 2 or 3 am, maybe that will take some of the time off, so I can get a full run.

I should have mentioned that after my first run, I wrapped my still with water heater insulation in hopes of heating it up quicker, but didn't really see any difference in time.

Have you ever thought of speeding things up, or is it better to let things take their time and do it right? I am starting to see that the latter is the way to go, myself.

Thanks again,

Jason"
    Offline ratflinger  
    #4 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:44:25 AM(UTC)
    ratflinger

Heat up time is why I moved to a wh element in my 15 gal kettle - cuts heat time to 45 min. Run time is still the same though.
    Offline jtmarsh  
    #5 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:08:43 PM(UTC)
    jtmarsh

"
    Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
    Heat up time is why I moved to a wh element in my 15 gal kettle - cuts heat time to 45 min. Run time is still the same though.

I have thought about using a wh element, do you use a brewhaus kettle? If so, how and where did you install it? I would love to cut my heat time down.

Thanks for the info."
    Offline beer30  
    #6 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:07:31 PM(UTC)
    beer30

"
    hey everybody! so, i am a noob to distilling and have ran my first 2 semi-successful batches using my PSII and a 1500W hot plate with RSC. My questions are the following, and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
    [LIST=1]
    [/LIST]
    [LIST=1]

• [/LIST]

I am an Engineer and have a bunch of buddies who are helping me out with this issue, and we have come up with some ideas, but I would like to see what solutions others have found on the forum. Any help you guys could provide would help me out tremendously. Some of our ideas are ""over engineered"" and getting really expensive! haha.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

• you could run 5 gal batches to get more runs under your belt and save the 10 gal for when you have the time will slow down on your product tho"
    Offline Maddawgs  
    #7 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:33:20 PM(UTC)
    Maddawgs

Maddawgs,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like everything is normal for what I have going on, maybe I just need to plan my timing a little better, possibly getting everything ready the night before and setting a timer to start the hot plate at 2 or 3 am, maybe that will take some of the time off, so I can get a full run.

I should have mentioned that after my first run, I wrapped my still with water heater insulation in hopes of heating it up quicker, but didn't really see any difference in time.

Have you ever thought of speeding things up, or is it better to let things take their time and do it right? I am starting to see that the latter is the way to go, myself.

Thanks again,

Jason

Hi Jason,
    I have the 15 gallon kettle wrapped in refectix insulation with 2 110v 2000w elements with the lower element controlled by an rsc. I had Brewhaus install the npt's when I ordered my kettle. This helps with heat up time (my 12 gallon run heats up in about 45 mins) but once the column starts to heat I kill power to the upper element and start dropping power on the rsc controlled element. You can drive your column hard and fast but all you will really be doing is getting the water out of your product. This is called a stripping run and alot of people do several stripping runs to build up a good spirit run. The key to a good product is to run things slowly. You will get a much better product with a lot less work. Quality takes time but in the end you will enjoy what you make. Hope this helps you out
    Maddawgs
    Offline ratflinger  
    #8 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 11:30:42 AM(UTC)
    ratflinger

BH installed my port when I ordered the kettle. You have to specify where you want it & what you want. I have a 2" tri-clamp port, but others have a 1" threaded half coupling welded on.
    Offline Farmin in the woods  
    #9 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:38:41 PM(UTC)
    Farmin in the woods

JT, I also have the 15 gallon psc II HC, but I've only used it with 10 gallons a few times. Mostly I run a 5 gallon wash. I also have never tried electric, I have a turkey fryer I never used til i got my pscII. With propane it takes me about 45 mins to get up to temp, then I turn the heat way down, and still get a pint every 15-20 minutes. My longest run ever was in the middle of winter before I insulated my rig; I ran 11 gallons and it took about 5 1/2 hours. I said all that to say this; propane really works better as a heat source, IMHO.
    Regards,
    Farmin