logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline chooch  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:43:51 AM(UTC)
chooch

Groups: Registered

Hi All

Here the wash:

4.5 gal water - 2 gal boil
1 lb Corn meal - boil for 45 minuets
1 tsp Citric Acid - added after corn meal boil 5 min
1 tsp gypsum - added after corn meal boil 5 min
7 lb sugar - added and clarified - no boil (could be a culprit - did not convert)
2 Tbsp Red Star Baker Yeast -1 Tbsp started, 1 dry pitched
Aeration (this may be the culprit) about 3-4 minutes using a carboy paddle w/power drill

SG 1.062
FG 1.032 (was aiming for .998)
Pitch stater yeast at 75 degrees
held ferment at 80 degrees

Wash went fine 2 weeks then slowed, then stopped. Took gravity measurement was 1.032 let it sit for 2 day w/o heat temp in house during day about 62, night 68-70 gravity at 1.032. Tastes OK a hint of sugar and its actually starting to clear. Racked it off lees. Is there anything I can do at this point? Thanks
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:08:54 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

i would aerate and pitch a starter bottle with ec1118 your if your pa wasnt too high i always use ec1118 and a starter bottle for sugar washes and i stone aerate for one hour but i dont think that was your problem-- the final work is done without oxygen
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:15:02 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

i just did some reading and i know nothing about bakers yeast but i think 8% is its max and i believe your wash was a few points over that.

http://homedistiller.org/wash/ferment/which
Offline chooch  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:32:18 PM(UTC)
chooch

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
i just did some reading and i know nothing about bakers yeast but i think 8% is its max and i believe your wash was a few points over that.

So I stressed my little alcohol makers?...OK I can re-pitch..I have some distillers yeast I'll use. I dint use them this wash because it wasn't a true grain wash and I've read that if you use it in a sugar (mainly) wash you'd get the off flavor's. I think a good test will be to take some of the wash and use that as a starter and see if it takes off..if it does then there will be enough sugars in the wash and the yeast will finish the ferment...does that sound plausible?
Offline chooch  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:17:17 PM(UTC)
chooch

I could live with the 8% but this is at 3.87%
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:43:31 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi chooch,

Quote:
1 tsp Citric Acid - added after corn meal boil 5 min
1 tsp gypsum - added after corn meal boil 5 min

Did you measure the pH of your wash? It's possible that it's too acidic. The teaspoon of gypsum will add around 50 ppm calcium for the volume of water you're using but it will also lower the pH. The calcium is useful to the yeast provided it doesn't get too high. You may not actually need it if you're water is hard enough to begin with.

The citric acid will lower the pH even more. You need to be real careful with the citric acid since it can drop your pH a lot more than you might expect.

Baker's yeast should be able to handle the wash you describe just fine. I've used it many times with an OG of 1.080 and didn't have any trouble.

Try making a starter and repitch as scotty suggests. Perhaps put 2 - 3 quarts of your wash in a gallon jug and dillute it with water by 20% or so. Then add a small starter to see if it will kick off. If it does, you can dillute what's in your fermenter and just add your test jug.

Keep working the problem before you declare defeat. I've dumped several attempts down the drain far too quickly. Then afterwards decided that I lost good opportunities to experiment. If it's going down the drain anyway, you won't lose anything by experimenting.:)

--JB"
Offline chooch  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:37:05 AM(UTC)
chooch

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Hi chooch,

Did you measure the pH of your wash? It's possible that it's too acidic. The teaspoon of gypsum will add around 50 ppm calcium for the volume of water you're using but it will also lower the pH. The calcium is useful to the yeast provided it doesn't get too high. You may not actually need it if you're water is hard enough to begin with.

--JB

I think you may have touched on something. I did measure ph after I put in the Citric Acid between 3.5 - 4, but did not after the gypsum so if the gypsum lowered it even more then I suppose it was on the acidic side. I'm going to re pitch tonight as you have dicribed. Hope it helps it finish - Thanks
Offline chooch  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:56:59 PM(UTC)
chooch

Update:

I did a bit of experimenting with this. I took JB advise and cut 1 qt wash by 20% and pitched 1 Tbsp distillers at 70 degrees - not to active but yet some action going on so I took another qt and cut that by 10% - big difference - still not aggressive - but a considerable deference from 20%. I cut the remaining 4 gal 10%
and pitched both starter qt's in at 70 degrees and am going to hold the ferment at that temp. SG 1.03 I think thats due to cuts and we will see in the morning !
Offline ratflinger  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 11:34:00 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

I start a 6 gal wash with 10# sugar & add 2.5# more after a week, starting sg is 1.080. I use bakers yeast & it always drives the wash to a sg just under 1.
Offline muadib2001  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 2:36:55 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Scotty,
After my LONG experience with EC1118, I switched to Baker's yeast (with a little deviation to Distiller's yeast) and consistently get around 11.5% return on a 1.080 wash. Go figure.
Offline chooch  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 2:36:53 AM(UTC)
chooch

Update:
Bummer...wash did not take off again. I cant figure why. The starter was starting, Aerated, diluted, pitched and then...nothing! Oh Well I'm sure it wont be the last to stall. Im going to pot still what I can out once I get my column head back. Next wash is a GW...I'm pretty pumped to try that Cool