logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline okie  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:10:29 AM(UTC)
okie

Groups: Registered

"I'm looking at this column for my keg but I wanted some input from owners of the unit. I'm not looking for reflux so a simple pot column is all I want but at the same time I think copper is better. That being said, I suppose one could stuff some copper in it and that would, in my thinking, change the pot still action.

The price is great, about the same if not less, than what the copper, torch and solder would be if I made my own.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated."
Offline ajs  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:08:35 AM(UTC)
ajs

Well I don't want to cheat Rick out of a sale but building your own can be quite satisfying and ALMOST as efficient. I originally ordered a PSII and finally cancelled it because of the mods I made to my pot still and I became very happy with it. However I am willing to bet I SPENT at least 300.00 in getting what I wanted so its a toss up ? I built a Pot still using a 20 quart ss Induction stock pot. used 1" diameter X 36 " column to a 3/4 inch liebeg 24" long at a 45 degree angle upwards for some natural reflux. From there to an 8qt ss thumper using 1/2 then 3/8 " line to the water bucket condenser. The line from the thumper to the condenser rises to about 5 feet-6 before curving down to the condenser....again my thoughts were natural reflux. I even place some copper mesh scrubbers in the 1" column and also in the output of the thumper. Again my thoughts were to create several or thousands of MINI distillations. Seems to work well as I average 165-180 proof final distillate at about a pint every 40 minutes. The 5 gallon wash gives me about 5 good pints with the sixth for tails to be tossed into next run. When I WANT FLAVOR I remove the scrubbers and it makes GREAT Sweet Feed Whiskey !
With the scrubbers I can get up to 180 proof at times with a basic sugar wash or ujjsm....I let the distillate air out with cloth covered lid ( keeps bugs out ) for a few days and it turns out great Vodka or Moonshine. Made several quarts of flavored spirit using jolly ranchers at diluted to 80 to 100 proof before doing so. Cap and let sit a while ....ummm ummm. BTW I DO OAK my Sweetfeed and add just a quarter tsp of brown sugar and some vanilla extract to it. I cant buy ANYTHING in the store that good. I bottle the SF at 100 proof.
So as to whether to build your own or BUY is your choice but it can be done on your own with very good results. Good Luck ....Hope this helps and remember it is just MY OWN OPINION. others may differ. Also...I NEVER USE TURBOS...EC 1118 most of the time or Red Star Champagne yeast.
Offline okie  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:41:11 AM(UTC)
okie

Thanks, AJS.

I already have a keg so I'll go 2" and it'll fit nicely on top of it. I am going propane because I don't have 220. This means I want the liebig to stretch out a bit before dripping into my parrot. I like BH and I buy from them and have for about three years for my old still but it's time for a new larger unit.

I'll probably take your advice and build my own, just seems to give a fellow some satisfaction.
Offline ratflinger  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:42:33 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

Get the 3" column & an adapter from the keg to 3". It'll make quicker.
Offline okie  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:48:24 PM(UTC)
okie

There seems to be conflicting information about that subject and I asked on another forum about going to 3". Some said it would speed up the distillation, others swore it made no difference. Then a third person said I would have a 2" choke point, look up choke points.

This left me confused. If you have that set up and compared it to a 2" I would like to hear the benefits. I'm still in the gaining information before I build or buy mode and I'll certainly go 3" if in case the choke point doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.
Offline Bushy  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 5:38:49 AM(UTC)
Bushy

"Hi okie, Yes you would have to call going from boiler to 2"" and then out to 3"" a choke point. BUT, the vapor will fill the 3"" tower very nicely and keep it going strong.

There are plenty of examples of stills that go from 2"" to 4"" and back to 2"" again and again, and they are produceing high quality product.
So don't worry about it, go ahead and buy the 3""er if that's what you want."
Offline sawman10  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 7:32:47 AM(UTC)
sawman10

"Hi all,

Can you go straight from a keg to the column or do you have to modify the keg?"
Offline ratflinger  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 3:54:08 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

Straight from the keg to the column. BH has a 2" to 3" tri-clamp adapter. Steam expands, the 2" neck on the keg is not an obstacle.