logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline makeet  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:45:02 PM(UTC)
makeet

Groups: Registered

"OK I felt like I have the hang of sugar wash, reflux method. I was getting very good results, good cuts, slow controlled runs, wanted to graduate to a pot still corn run. I distilled about 8 lbs of flaked maize, two lbs of barley, had great conversion, the fermentation went well, slow, cool temps,,,,,,then I ran it.......... The best way to describe what I got was a smell of electrical fire, burnt cancer, dogs ass. I took the middle column off of my PSII, took all of the copper out except for one roll at the top, turned off the cooling water to column and just ran it through the condenser. Here is all I can figure went wrong:

1. The wash was cloudy when I transferred it, possibly got a little of the grain in the still pot also (I didn't ferment on the grain, I seperated almost all of it before fermenting, but a tiny bit got through). Could I have burnt the wash!?!? I kinda has a burnt electrical smell to it.

2. The run temp shot up to around 198 and stayed around 198 and 204 the entire run, this isn't what i was used to in reflux mode, but I wasn't running cooling water like I am there either. Did that scorch something? Is that normal in a run?

3. I was trying to do a stripping run, so I discarded the first 150mL or so, they smelled SUPER bad. Then I collected 3, 1000mL jars after that. One was cloudy (last one I think, which I would assume is the tails). I started with about 5-5.5 gallons of wash, this is all I collected. Is that normal? First jar smells so bad it about makes you gag, the second is a little more neutral and corn smelling, but still bad, the last is really bad again, and really weak.

Is it even worth running again? Even in reflux mode? I REALLY want to figure out what went wrong, ordering more flaked maize now and barley. I have a packet of the new whiskey yeast from brewhaus I'll try this time.

Any and all help is appreciated. I'm determined to run some good corn likker. Then move on to brandy, etc. I don't just want to keep running neutral sugar wash and flavoring it.

Thanks!"
Offline ratflinger  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:51:43 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

I think you over drove the kettle with heat & scorched the wash. If your temp is where you indicated then you have a good future as a water distiller, since was about what you were doing. The only flaw with the BH system is the thermometer in the bung at the top. With the reflux water off you see what you are really doing & that is over driving. Your reflux temps stayed down, because that was the temp of the condensate AFTER being cooled. This is the reason some here have have a temp port on the kettle or column also. What is your heat source? The only source that I know about that won't over drive the kettle is the 1500w hotplate, everything else has that capability.
Offline makeet  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:12:23 AM(UTC)
makeet

"I think you might be right. I've had the jars airing out for the last week, with a coffee filter over the top of the jars, it almost makes me throw up in my mouth to smell them. One is still cloudy, the other two just smell soooooooooooo bad.

I'm using a 1500w induction burner now, I started the run around 450 to get it all heated up, then backed down the heat, I was trying to control it based on the flow and keep it low, but that thermometer at the top in the bung was showing around 198 or so almost the entire run after the heads and fores came off. Then after about 2 hours it was up to 205 or so. I think I had the heat turned down to around 240. What would your suggestion be for running electric? If I turned a little water on the tower would that be too much reflux and I'd lose flavor? I'm assuming i must have scorched it, the fermentation went well, the wash tasted and smelled good before it went in the still. It was something I did with the still."
Offline ratflinger  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:47:56 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

Yeah - that induction burner is over driving since it doesn't experience as much contact heat loss. I'm surprised you weren't blowing steam out the liebig like a water kettle. I'd heat it up for no more than 30 min at 450* (that might still be too warm) and then turn the heat down to 150* and let it stabilize, then slowly bring the temp up to where your stream is fast drops, almost a stream. Good stuff will come off about 172*. When your temp was at 198* there were no heads or fores, it was all trash. I'd throw that stuff in with the next neutral stripping run. You are correct about the reflux water knocking out taste, so just run the rig slow and easy, that's what pot stilling is all about.
Offline makeet  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:45:51 PM(UTC)
makeet

I should get stuff to make another batch tomorrow. Could I mix some cheap box wine50/50 with water and run it pot still style to practice so I don't ruin another good mash? Would that come out like brandy? Just something to practice heat control.
Offline okie  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:15:08 AM(UTC)
okie

What does the bottom of the kettle look like? Do you see any burned areas, blackened? I had this same problem with an AG mash twice. I'm considering putting glass marbles in my kettle which do two things, they insulate the area directly in contact with the heat slightly and they give added boiling points.

I got a lot of the stink and taste out doing a second run. It never goes totally away. I even charcoal filtered some to see, three times, and it was still there but very faint.

My next AG I'm going to rack after 5 days into containers with air locks and let it sit a few more days and settle out good before putting in my keg. I'm done with the murky wash and the burned likker. DONE!!
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:53:52 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: okie Go to Quoted Post
What does the bottom of the kettle look like? Do you see any burned areas, blackened? I had this same problem with an AG mash twice. I'm considering putting glass marbles in my kettle which do two things, they insulate the area directly in contact with the heat slightly and they give added boiling points.

I got a lot of the stink and taste out doing a second run. It never goes totally away. I even charcoal filtered some to see, three times, and it was still there but very faint.

My next AG I'm going to rack after 5 days into containers with air locks and let it sit a few more days and settle out good before putting in my keg. I'm done with the murky wash and the burned likker. DONE!!

If you let it sit for more than 5 days you prolly wont have any issues......try 10-14 days and it will settle and make a nice compacted cake on the bottom of the fermenter, you dont have to rack and rerack it from jug to jug, just leave it alone and let it settle. 5 days in my opinion is not enough time."
Offline okie  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:39:06 PM(UTC)
okie

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
If you let it sit for more than 5 days you prolly wont have any issues......try 10-14 days and it will settle and make a nice compacted cake on the bottom of the fermenter, you dont have to rack and rerack it from jug to jug, just leave it alone and let it settle. 5 days in my opinion is not enough time.

Heeler, Not to hijack this post but I was doing all my ferments in a six gallon brew bucket with air lock. Now with my keg I want to double that and I was going to ferment in an open 20 gal bucket, no airlock. Can I still let it go that long? I'll have a lid over it, that's all.
Offline makeet  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:47:40 PM(UTC)
makeet

"

Makes me sick to ruin good mash. It doesn't look black, but it stinks. So does the copper in the column. Next time I'm gonna let it settle more and run much cooler. I'm excited to make good corn likker. I might dump out what I have. Already did with one jar. I don't want to ruin anything else with it, not even a sugar wash."
Offline heeler  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 2:46:25 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Heeler, Not to hijack this post but I was doing all my ferments in a six gallon brew bucket with air lock. Now with my keg I want to double that and I was going to ferment in an open 20 gal bucket, no airlock. Can I still let it go that long? I'll have a lid over it, that's all.

okie, you sure can but why not use two or three six gallon fermenters that you can airlock and control all the nasties that may linger around. You'll find that there are numerous little flys and bugs that gravitate to your precious elixor if not covered and kept at bay, I guess its my OCD that makes me think why not do it right."
Offline okie  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 3:18:38 AM(UTC)
okie

I thought about that possibility also. I'm brewing inside and will have cheese cloth covering the bucket but on the flip side, having several smaller buckets I can move them around easier. Might be the best solution. Going with all barley, I won't be fermenting on the grain so the must won't be that messy. One day I might do corn.
Offline NewShine  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:39:45 AM(UTC)
NewShine

I took the thermometer out of the bung on my PSII and drilled a hole 2 1/2" from the top and welded a 1/2" half coupling in and installed a 3" dial thermometer in.