logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rixter  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:26:56 AM(UTC)
Rixter

Groups: Registered

"Hey All, I am new to this and having fun in all aspects of this. The reading/research, the shopping, the assembly, the mixing process, and the distilling. I have a lot to learn and I hope you will give me some pointers.

Ok, here are my ingredients.
(1) 1 Gal glass jug
(1) 1/4 oz pack of Fleishmann's Highly Active Yeast
3/4 Gal = 96oz of distilled water
24oz of Sugar
12oz of Aunt Jemima's Yellow Corn Meal

First, I put 1/2 Gal of room temp water in my jug then add the Sugar. I spin/shake the jug till the sugar dissolves. Then add the Corn Meal and give it another shake to mix. Add the pack of Yeast and the last quart of the water and give it a shake just enough to mix the yeast. Place the Air-Lock on top. I place the mix in an area that stays between 69-71 degrees. I let my 1st batch sit for 5 days and my 2nd batch sit for 6 days. I have my 3rd batch working and will distill it on the 7th day.

Here are my results for my first two runs.
After removing the first 2oz of each run.

1st run = 5 days
1st Jar 6oz was 110 proof
2nd Jar 6oz was 85 proof
3rd Jar 4oz was 45 proof

2nd run = 6 days
1st Jar 6oz was 120 proof
2nd Jar 6oz was 95 proof
3rd Jar 2oz was 55 proof

I am using a small pot still I built and it does have a thermometer. I start my electric hot plate on #7 out of 10 settings. Once the mash temp reaches 150 degrees I turn my temp setting down to #3 and just let it go until it stops producing or the mash temp reaches 210 degrees. This process has taken 4 to 4.5 hrs.

After seeing my results, is there something I can do to get more product from my 3/4 gal of mix or make my product a higher proof?"