logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline maverick81  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:06:30 PM(UTC)
maverick81

Groups: Registered

I am looking at getting a book 1 book for now witch one would you recommend ? I am looking at the ones on the brewhaus web site I want recipes from shine to rum .and i want to understand the whole process better . Also the description of home distillation hand book ( witch does not rate highly ) says it has a elevation calculator can anyone tell me if it iS just boiling points or does it directly give you distillation temps for elevation. it is a slight concern off mine
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:41:41 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
"Well, for me, I got the ""Home Distillers workbook-2nd edition"" online reader format. It has a great explaination of what you are asking about in a way, but what you are asking is not as exact (from what i can tell) - This temps move a bit as you make it thru the run from heads to tails and it's a management thing as you run to keep the breakover point between the alcohol vapors and the others in temps as you are running.

So, the sort answer is no, you will not find better temp charts than what you have seen in the compleat distiller. Honestly, I felt the free PDF on the compleat distiller to be more informative than the ""Home Distillers Handbook"", mainly because it was written from a more technical point of view which appeals to me.

Just my fledgling opine - I'm so new to this I'm still in line outside the place... BigGrin"
Offline maverick81  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:53:58 PM(UTC)
maverick81

Thanks have you seen the book moonshine if so what do you think?
Offline Maddawgs  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:09:58 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi Maverick,
I would suggest "The Compleat Distiller". This is a great book that gives a very good overview of distilling. It cover history, different proccesses, different still types, and how to build and use them. John Barleycorn recommended it to me when I was first starting out and it helped alot with all the questions I had. Scotty recently recommended a book called "Moonshine". After finally tracking down a copy I'm finding it to be very good also.

Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:11:27 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

did you check the reviews forum here- i love moonshine also. it contains some worthwhile guidelines
Offline maverick81  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:19:31 AM(UTC)
maverick81

"I did read the reviews and the description is why I started this thread.
The home distiller guide mentioned info on distilling at. Elevation witch is. Something I am dealing with but did not rate very high. So my questions is does that book have info on distilling fermenting ect. At elevation Other than just boiling temps for water?
moonshine is the book I want to get if there is no info on high elevation in home distillers

Scotty did you still want to sell that used still"