logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 8:07:55 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Groups: Registered

"Hey all, I've been using 5 gallon food grade buckets to ferment since time, but i got greedy and had a 15 gallon plastic tote and created a 15 gal neutral, using 2 cans of tomato paste, 30 lbs sugar, and 5 gals of hot water. then i used water hose to fill and aerate. it cooled to bout 80 and i pitched a bottle of fleishmans bakers. I put the lid on it and the next day it had a serious cap on top. i didnt use a valve as usual, and i opened it twice more over 7 days, and it had settled. I ran 4 gals and got 2 pints of 45 %abv, which is pretty poor. The neutral was in a heated shed, ave temp about 60. I tasted it, its super sweet.
Questions, can i add more yeast and try to kickstart it, should i get it out of the non-food grade tote, or what shall i do with the sugar water? I washed the tote before use with soap and water, as i do with my food grade buckets. I didnt check SG, i havent done that in a long time. The recipe is usually foolproof.

Thanks,
Farmin"
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 1:36:07 PM(UTC)
Bushy

The temp is a little on the low side and you really should have a vapor lock on that tub to let the Co2 out.

I would get some Distillers yeast, not bakers, or an Ale yeast, rehydrate it and pitch it in. If the wash is still sweet then there is more work to be done.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:57:47 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

the only yeast i have on hand is some DADY, one packet of ec1118, and the bakers. Which of the 3 should i use? The DADY i bought to contend w/ the hot summer months here in tx. Think i should warm the beer up before pitching? i cant get the shed warmer than that...i have a small electric heater and really dont want it in the kitchen...neither does the mrs.
Thanks,
Farmin
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:33:43 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"If you cant keep your fermenter warmer than 60F its gonna play hell not falling asleep. 68-78F is a good range, I know some will say well from 60 to 70 is not that big a difference but when it comes to happy yeast ---- oh yes it is!!!!!!!
Too hot is death and too cold is bed time until it warms up again. With most yeast's 60F is too cold and 90F is too hot, somewhere in the middle is best. IMHO."
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:39:47 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: Farmin in the woods Go to Quoted Post
the only yeast i have on hand is some DADY, one packet of ec1118, and the bakers. Which of the 3 should i use? The DADY i bought to contend w/ the hot summer months here in tx. Think i should warm the beer up before pitching? i cant get the shed warmer than that...i have a small electric heater and really dont want it in the kitchen...neither does the mrs.
Thanks,
Farmin

Why dont you do this....warm it up first and foremost, then AFTER its warm add the 1118 and a pack of bakers. It can't hurt but...and this is a biggie, if it's still 60F its gonna be very slow or do nothing at all.
You asked if we think you should warm it up, well you know my response to that now. If you have a heating pad like for your back or an electric blanket you could use either of those, so, good luck and hope you get it."
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:41:21 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Your gonna have to warm it up. bring your fermenter inside (if ya can). Once warmed up it'll probably kick off just fine. Mine hung up a few weeks ago. Once i got it warm it kicked in perfectly and has been going good ever since. If you warm it up and it still doesn't start then i'd think about pitching some more yeast. I like EC-1118 but it's a slow yeast so be patient. good luck.
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:47:24 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Thanks all, we had a cpl weeks of "false spring" here and i thought id take advantage of it. but looks like it didnt pan out so well. I didnt want the fermenter on the kitchen floor, again, but looks like thats the only game in town til it warms. J. apple, i used the ec-1118 for my first run, i thought that stuff would NEVER stop working. The bakers works soo much faster, until summer comes along, then i use the DADY.

Ok, you guys confirmed my fears, its just too cold out there, and i dont have a airlock on the tote either. I'll fix that so I can go back to farmin...

Farmin
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:31:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ya know what, we've all been yelling at you about the temp being too cold for fermentation but if you use a lager yeast the cold temps might not matter. That yeast can take the cold and might be just the ticket in the northern cooler winter temps. Just something to ponder.
I dont know if it'll produce high alcohol in a wash but 6-7% no dought. Because agaiin it is a beer making yeast."
#9 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 1:45:20 PM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

No worries Heeler, no one hurt my feelers...i did look on the HD site last night and they dont recommend lager yeast for distilling...something bout it leaving a sulpher smell/taste u cant get out. I'm not out of "medicine", but wanted to try something different while i wait on my rye to show up. Now i know late jan/early feb is too cold to ferment outside.
Farmin
Offline Bushy  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 2:57:11 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Farmin theres an item called a brew blanket as well as a brew belt to use during cold times. You could also use a heating pad and some blankets or towels to keep the heat in. I use a brew belt but have been looking into the blankets. I also came across a seed germination pad that is larger than he blanket and has a thermostat. Something to think about.
Offline chooch  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:55:22 AM(UTC)
chooch

I use the seed germination pad and it works great with my 5 gal carboy or the 6.5 bucket. I have my fermenter sitting on top of the pad and then wrap the fermenter with bubble wrap a couple of times and also cover that with a blanket. I haven't had any issues with temps since I tried that. The pad maintains a +/- of 3 degrees but the pads will only do 10- 20 degrees from ambient temps. You cannot have the ambient temp be 40 degrees and try to get the pad to stay at 80 degrees the best you could get would be 60. If you have a large fermenter you could build a warming box from 2" foam and put a light bulb on a timer for heat