logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jctab73  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 7:18:46 AM(UTC)
Jctab73

Groups: Registered

I just made my first run, and yielded 1 gallon of 188 proof. It is clear, sweet, and lethal....... I ran it from my new p II , and it is from a sugar wash. Any advice on what to do from here to make it a little easier to sip? Any other not so complex recipes I should try to better my skills? Thanks
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 8:40:28 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Dont leave it at 188 proof for sippin...It'll taste 3 x's better when its at 120 or so. 100 or 80 is even better. Now if you add it too some kind of juice you could leave it at 120 and the juice will of course make the the cut for you. If you have a hydrometer take bottled water and add little bits at a time, then stir and test it again, if its still too high proof add more water.
Several recipes in the recipe section....the likker you have is called ---neutral, you can add that to anything and make it good or add candy to some too."
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:16:06 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi jctab, Here's a web site that will help you in your dilutions.

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/dilute

As heeler said you can flavor your neutral with anything you want to. But I would use distilled water for the first cut and bring it down to 110 to 120 proof to start before flavoring. Then if useing juices cut it useing the same calculator. If you cut with juice the alcohol meter becomes useless as the sugar in the juice does'nt allow for an accurate reading.

If you are going to use candy or something similar then I would proof it closer to 80 proof. When useing organics like orange zest, lemon zest, or fruits of anykind you don't want your proof above 120. Any higher and it will decompose the organic materials. Also at 120 proof you will want to dilute it further for drinking which will further dilute the flavor too. If the people you want to share with like mixed drinks then you will want to bring the proof down to at least 70 proof before flavoring, and that will still have more of a kick than most mixed drinks. Mind you this is being done with something other than juices.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:31:25 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Tame that down to 100 proof/50%abv by using distilled water and mix 4 quarts to one gallon of fruit punch or apple juice and you'll have about a 40 proof mix. Bottle that stick in the fridge and chill it and drink. If you mix it with something with sugar in it you can't use your hydrometer. Do the math it works but get ya a proof to start with. if you want your mixes a little stronger then cut it to 120 proof 4 quarts to 1 gallon. you get the point. good luck welcome to the hobby.
Offline Hokey  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 6:50:24 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This may be redundant but here is how I figure it. Take the amount you have. Say 600 ml. Multiply that by it's proof. Say 140 proof. that equals 84000. Divide that by the proof you want. Say 110 proof. That equals 763.3 mls. of total amount. subtract the original 600 mls and that give you 163.3 of h2o that needs to be added to reach 110 proof. Amount/times proof divided by desired proof equals total amount then subtract original amount equals amount to be added.
Offline Jctab73  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 12:39:23 PM(UTC)
Jctab73

I did a 50/50 . My likker and distiller water. I squeezed 120 out of it. Tasted great.... I also did a 50/50 with some cran strawberry juice and some fresh strawberries and you can let your taste buds do the rest.... I am gonna call it Crawberry!!! I'm getting raves about it allready. Thanks for all the support guys...