logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Geno61  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 3:26:09 AM(UTC)
Geno61

Groups: Registered

"I am about 99% ready to make a purchase, but need to finalize a few options.
I am set on the EE PSII High Capacity with the Premium 15 gallon kettle, and would
like to have the fitting or fittings installed for the option of using heating elements.

I have access to 120v receptacles in my shop. Would 1 fitting and heating element
be enough to run the 15 gal. pot, or would you recommend getting 2 fittings installed.

Also, should I go with the copper mesh, or the ceramic rings in the column?.

I would like to get it right when I order and not look back and say, I wish I had done
this or that instead. I appreciate any opinions or advice from you more knowledgeable
guys and gals. Many thanks."
Offline captinjack  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 5:07:01 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi Geno61,
First before any one can give you an answer to how many elements and size you can run you need to check out your power in your shop first.
1. Are the 120v receptacles run on separate circuits from the breaker panel?
2. What is the size of the breaker or breaker's 15amp or 20amp ?
Find these thing's out and let us know and the you can get your answer.

As far as the copper mesh or ceramic rings go I don't know if one is better then the other as I am fairly new here also but from what I've been seeing and reading is most folks use the copper mesh. I've also read where someone used the ceramic rings and had them move and get into their condenser and had a blockage... I just placed my order for my still package earlier this week and I am getting the copper mesh. I'm also getting the EE PSII HC with the 15gal. pot. The 15g pots are on back order so you have lots of time to get it right. I'm not going to say how long but the only advice I can give you on that is " Patience Grasshopper " It's a long wait but it's worth waiting for ...
Captinjack
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 6:52:07 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Geno, most folks use the copper mesh for a couple of reasons. The best reason is that with an all stainless steel rig the copper removes a lot of the sulfides and some other nasties from your vapor. Another thing I like about the copper mesh is it's so much easier to use and clean than the rings.
One thing the rings can be used for is boiling chips. Put in the bottom of the boiler they break up large bubbles into smaller bubbles and if running to hot will help alieve a puking problem.
Personally I use black aquarium rocks, 1 to 1 1/2 inches, and clear marbles. These are easier to clean than the rings. I have enough to cover the bottom of the boiler.

You also might want to consider ordering another water pump in order to run seperate pumps to your column and condenser. For me it makes adjustments easier.

As to the electricle aspect someone else will have to answer that, I use propane.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 7:40:00 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Ok, opinion only......even if you have a 15 gallon boiler you can still run 5 gallon washes, and even that is a long day respectively. I bet once you get started and are off and runnin you'll find that there just aint enough time for a 13 gallon cookout (you can't put 15 gallons of wash in a 15 gallon boiler) (you'll see). It takes me 5-6 hours minimum to run 4.75 gallons because my montra is --slow and cold, which means cook it slow and keep it cold.
Now you ask about elements and I only have one installed and I can cook 4.75 gallons fine. If you can use gas to get to cooking temp one element would work, I think one element will work with bigger washes too it will just take longer to get up there (stillin temp I mean). Now thats with 110 volts on a 30 amp circut, but if you have 220 well thats even faster. Neither is wrong..."