logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline smurray316  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:34:16 AM(UTC)
smurray316

Groups: Registered

Hello all, just ordered my Essential Extractor Pro Series II about 2 weeks ago and am waiting for it now. I ordered the 8 Gallon Premium Kettle and the silver starter kit along with it. The eta ship date is around 3/8. I do not know much about this hobby other than reading the fourms and online research but cant wait to get it and start making some surgar washes.
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:51:28 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi smurray and welcome to the forum. You made a good choice on the still and should have a lot of fun with it.
Lots of info on the forum to read that will get you ready to roll when your package arrives.
Offline cczero  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:11:06 AM(UTC)
cczero

Welcome to the group. Lots of information here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I've learned a lot and am having fun experimenting with different recipes. I have the PSII and am enjoying the hobby. Good Luck.
Offline smurray316  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:41:35 AM(UTC)
smurray316

I'm pretty excited about the purchase but after all the reading I hope I won't regret not getting the HC and the 15 gallon kettle. I think 2 inch column will work for getting me started and help me learn. I've been reading different pages about the reflux and the foreshots, heads, hearts, and tails. I think having the column in my hands and making a couple of runs will help me better understand these things.
Offline Bushy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 2:24:58 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi smurray, I have the 2 inch PSII with an 8 gallon boiler it's a great piece of equipment and it works just fine for me. It runs slower than the 3 inch but gets the job done just as well.
I use 2 pumps for cooling water. One for the column and one for the condenser. I find this works better for me, allows me to make adjustments to either one without affecting the other. Also put in a brass ball valve on both lines to control the water flows. Thinking I may change those to brass gate valves to get better adjustment control. Something to ponder.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:12:35 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

welcome to the fourm I also have the ES II 8 gallon and 15 gallon cookers with the 2" column. You should have a lot of fun with it. Since your waiting on your equipment go ahead and mix up a wash and let it be fermenting while you wait on your shipment that way when it arrives your wash should be done and then you'll be ready to fire it up. remember though water and vinegar through it first then wash it out real nice then pour your wash in and get to enjoying your new hobby.
Offline smurray316  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:53:29 AM(UTC)
smurray316

Bushy, the valve sound like a good idea and something I could easily do. Johnyapplepie, I would love to get started but I do not have a fermintation kit I ordered the silver kit along with my still. I havent received any emails or anything about the order and the date when I did order was an ETA so I still have plenty of time. My question to you guys with the 2 inch PSII and the 8 gallon kettle, how do you heat it? I think I will be getting a 1500 watt hot plate and I do have a turkey fryer, I plan on trying both but was courious to see which is the preferred method.
Offline Bushy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:07:54 AM(UTC)
Bushy

I use a Blichmann propane burner out in a shed. Lots of people use the hot plates with the conversion to bypass the thermostat/heat controller. Others have gone with water heater elements installed in the boiler, which BH will install the NPT nipple in your boiler for a nominal fee. You just need to call them and request the instillation.

I like propane because it is easy to adjust and control the heat, also it makes it portable if I want to take it somewhere else.

Though there is a thread in the "OUR PROJECTS" section for a pretty cool controller for the water heater elements which I find interesting.

It's a matter of preference and your situation as to what type of heat source you use.
Offline vdoubleu  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:28:16 AM(UTC)
vdoubleu

Originally Posted by: smurray316 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all, just ordered my Essential Extractor Pro Series II about 2 weeks ago and am waiting for it now. I ordered the 8 Gallon Premium Kettle and the silver starter kit along with it. The eta ship date is around 3/8. I do not know much about this hobby other than reading the fourms and online research but cant wait to get it and start making some surgar washes.

I have the same setup you ordered(Essential Extractor Pro Series II) and love it. I also use Blichmann propane burner and it works great.Good luck
Offline John Barleycorn  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:21:17 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"bushy & vw,

Are you guys talking about the Blichmann Top-Tier burner? Or some other model?

The hotplate is fine for my rig, but it's a real dog when boiling wort ... and I've been banned from the stove top ... actually from the whole damned house when brewing.Cursing I need something with a lot more oomph for the garage.

--JB"
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 9:12:44 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I use a turkey frier also with propane out in my hooch shack (aka garage). I like the propane also because it's easy to control the heat. I crack it up to get it going when first charging up the still then i back the heat down until the foreshot starts coming out. then i adjust the temp from there. I've thought about trying a hotplate but i really don't want my still in the house nor do i have all day to for it to heat up and give me the product. I have thought about putting a water heater element into my 15.5 gallon stainless beer keg then i thought nahh why isn't working great with propane. use a defuser plate as well with propane to equally heat the boiler. I also use a valve with my water line. I use one pump that connects to my hoses but i can control how much water goes to the top of the column. i'm not so much worried about what goes to the condenser i usually don't control that when distilling in reflux. I do however monitor often the water flow to the top. hope this helps.