logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline maverick81  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:07:17 AM(UTC)
maverick81

Groups: Registered

I have not bought a still yet just kicking tires it seems like a big commitment . I am trying to understand the prosses to see if I want to do it. I am high in the Rocky mtns10,800 ft does anyone know if I have to do anything different at this elevation?
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:29:41 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"welcome-- always stay away from steep clifs--i would like to hear the problems you have with boiling water please.

gee i guess you would get things to boil with a lot less wattage. could be an advantage for distilling.

mashing does not require high temps either-- maybe you have an advantage.. i ndefinitely need opinion on this one"
Offline captinjack  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:28:16 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi Maverick,
Just wanting to say welcome,and wow at 10,800' you almost need supplemental oxygen... I'm new to this also but one thing I can tell you is the yeast for your mash or wash needs oxygen to reproduce. Boiling water removes the oxygen and you want to add it back before you pitch your yeast, there are ways to replace it and at that altitude you might want to do what ever method you use a little longer then normal.That's one thing I can think of, hope this helps...
Captinjack
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:53:33 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
"Welcome Maverick. I jump out of airplanes lower than that! And x2 what Scotty said. Boiling temp of h2o at that altitude is only around 193 degrees. You will have to adjust for alcohol I assume. Oh, and heed the steep cliff thing, (Scotty's a smart guy).
Have fun and be safe."
Offline maverick81  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:33:20 PM(UTC)
maverick81

Captinjack you said there are ways to replenish oxygen to your wash or mash ( what is the difference) and what ways are there to put oxygen back in? What does the air lock actually do? If water boils at 193 does that throw out the deal were throw out every thing that comes out below174 degrees.
Can someone point out some books or videos to help me understand the whole process I would really liked to see a reflux in action to understand it better
Offline maverick81  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 6:15:37 PM(UTC)
maverick81

Hokey what do you mean adjust for alcohol? What are average temps for. Fermenting? It is on the brisk side up here. Any websites you could point me in to help me answer my simple questions would be appreciative thanks
Offline Maddawgs  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 12:02:18 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: maverick81 Go to Quoted Post
Hokey what do you mean adjust for alcohol? What are average temps for. Fermenting? It is on the brisk side up here. Any websites you could point me in to help me answer my simple questions would be appreciative thanks

Hi maverick,
All liquids have a boiling point that is adjusted for altitude so if the point for water is lower at your altitude then the point for the different alcohols would be to. I think there is a calculator online somewhere (sorry not sure where). I would try the hillbilly stills site, they have a nice suite of calculators. The parent site of this forum also has several but I'm not sure if there is one for altitude. Oh, almost forgot--welcome to the forum.
Maddawgs
Offline Hokey  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 7:31:23 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
found this site on-line. I thought it was interesting and may help those at higher altitude.

http://gillesenergies.we...boilingpointaltitude.htm
Offline maverick81  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:20:53 AM(UTC)
maverick81

Thank you! is there a video on how the brewhaus reflux still works?