logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline miketribal  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:23:51 PM(UTC)
miketribal

Groups: Registered

"hello to everyone from south of houston.

just joined the forum, and will have lots of questions very soon.... got my still from here about a month ago and starting to get familiar with it.
anyone from around houston or galveston that wouldnt mind someone peaking around, getting advice, or helping with a run (to learn) please message me.
i am not sure what else to say here, so ill leave it at that for now.

thanx"
Offline Hokey  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:48:33 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi and welcome miketribal. This is a great forum and you get quick answers to any question you have. Get ready to do a lot of reading. Great hobby isn't it.
Offline miketribal  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 4:05:45 PM(UTC)
miketribal

all i do is read.. lol.
i am confused about a few things... and reading so far has me learning cool stuff but not still not clearing out the haze.
i have not made any washes yet... i dont think im anywhere near ready. infact i probley need to take a step back.

can someone tell me about the rubber plug at the top of the still? ive got mine with a hole for the therm. but today it was leaking like crazy (2nd steam run checking for leaks)and then it blew off.. so now i need a new thermometer also. the plug doesnt seem to fit very tight and will slide down into the still (i have the PSII high capacity still) anyone one else running this rig?
Offline miketribal  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 4:08:09 PM(UTC)
miketribal

sorry, but ive also read the gum style plug isnt the best choice. is there something else i should be looking into?
Offline Hokey  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 5:27:12 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am a little curious as to how the plug could have "blown off". there should be little or no pressure build-up on any still. the product condenser is or should be open to the atmosphere so where did the pressure build up come from? If it was leaking steam did you have the cooling water to the column on? Even so I think the steam should have been coming out the collection end of the condenser. ???
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:41:02 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: miketribal Go to Quoted Post
all i do is read.. lol.
i am confused about a few things... and reading so far has me learning cool stuff but not still not clearing out the haze.
i have not made any washes yet... i dont think im anywhere near ready. infact i probley need to take a step back.

can someone tell me about the rubber plug at the top of the still? ive got mine with a hole for the therm. but today it was leaking like crazy (2nd steam run checking for leaks)and then it blew off.. so now i need a new thermometer also. the plug doesnt seem to fit very tight and will slide down into the still (i have the PSII high capacity still) anyone one else running this rig?

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum. I had the same issue with mine on my water test. It should fit snugly but not super tight. In regular use now when inserted properly it sits about even to just below the lip of the column. Hokey is correct, if you have yours set right and it is blowing out during a run you may have a blockage somewhere in your set up and this could be very dangerous. With the top section of your column off and empty of any packing tilt the top towards a light source and look up the center of the liebig. If you can see light you should be ok. The current bung that BH uses should cause you no problems and it is what the great majority of Brewhaus owners use. It is rated chemical tolerant and is fine for use with alcohol. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs
Offline miketribal  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:09:44 AM(UTC)
miketribal

Thanx now I don't feel so alone about blowing the top off.
On my first water run, it took 3 hours to get this thing to boil (was an old burner I borrowed)
On the second attempt I used my new 10 inch bayou classic burner, blew the top of in 45 minutes.lol
Towards the end I could feel the heat slowly creep up the pipe, and there was a slight bit of pressure coming out
Of the condenser pipe. Then finally the heat got to the top I saw the therm start to climb, and the heat
started on the condenser pipe. I was waiting for the stream. Very little came out compared to last time
When it was billowing out the pipe... then I saw the stream leaking out the plug side, the still was also dancing
Around... then pop. water and ceramic everywhere. .
I'm reading that I really don't need the rings for what I want, so I'm tossing those, and sticking with the rolled copper
(had both in there during both runs)
I am going to check for blockage here in a minute. I will say the plug is not perfect, mine is a little out of round.
Fyi I have no packing in the top section, only in the lower section. 2 rolls of copper (still came with 3) and rings on top of that.
Offline captinjack  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:26:14 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi Mike,
Hi and welcome.You need to do what Maddawgs said and check the liebig for blockage, if you were using ceramic they could be in your condenser causing a blockage...
Captinjack
Offline miketribal  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:30:54 AM(UTC)
miketribal

I think the reason for the failure was I had the plug to far down and it may have been blocking the outlet.
Offline Maddawgs  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 12:28:51 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: miketribal Go to Quoted Post
Thanx now I don't feel so alone about blowing the top off.
On my first water run, it took 3 hours to get this thing to boil (was an old burner I borrowed)
On the second attempt I used my new 10 inch bayou classic burner, blew the top of in 45 minutes.lol
Towards the end I could feel the heat slowly creep up the pipe, and there was a slight bit of pressure coming out
Of the condenser pipe. Then finally the heat got to the top I saw the therm start to climb, and the heat
started on the condenser pipe. I was waiting for the stream. Very little came out compared to last time
When it was billowing out the pipe... then I saw the stream leaking out the plug side, the still was also dancing
Around... then pop. water and ceramic everywhere. .
I'm reading that I really don't need the rings for what I want, so I'm tossing those, and sticking with the rolled copper
(had both in there during both runs)
I am going to check for blockage here in a minute. I will say the plug is not perfect, mine is a little out of round.
Fyi I have no packing in the top section, only in the lower section. 2 rolls of copper (still came with 3) and rings on top of that.

Hi Mike,
If you have enough force to blow the rasching rings out the top of the column then there is a good chance that you are putting way to much heat to your rig and are "driving the column to hard". I think (and I could be wrong) that you have so much heat that you are getting boiling liquid in your column (this is called column puking). If you are using an open flame heating system and have alcohol in your still while this is going on---STOP and KILL the HEAT SOURCE!!! This is a very DANGEROUS FIRE hazard. Damage to your property and injury to yourself are a great possibillity. Alcohol in its liquid and vapor states is both flamable and explosive. I would suggest you get a copy of a book that JB recommended to me called "The Compleate Distiller". This is a great book that does a very good job of explaining the distillation process, all types of distillers, and how to use them. Ok, enough with the scary stuff. For a reflux system you should use all the copper packing (or most) that came with it. There should have been enough to fill the column from bottom to top. The rolls should be snug to the inside of the column but not so tight that vapor can't get thru. The dancing you noticed was caused by the boiling in the kettle. On your next try I would suggest cutting the heat back as soon as you start to feel heat at the base of the column, when you feel heat at about the halfway point of the column cut the heat again, and when you feel heat at the top of the column cut the heat again. Once your liquid is hot it will stay hot even at a lower heat. You are trying to heat the liquid not boil it. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 1:28:30 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

during actual distilling of a fermented mash, we do not get to water boiling temp. close; but only after manyhours of running.
Offline miketribal  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 6:23:22 AM(UTC)
miketribal

"thanks for the replies.
so i am understanding that i am using to much heat.
makes sense... i was thinking on my next attempt, i may set up the kettle and heat that on full heat untill the base starts to heat up, then cut the heat back about 1/2, monitor the tower till it gets warm at the top cut back the heat to about 1/4 and wait for the steam."