logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline young gun  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 7:31:34 AM(UTC)
young gun

Groups: Registered

I'm currently working on an apple mash using a couple dozen peeled, cored, and mashed apples and some sugar. Right now I have it going in 4 gal of hot water to cook the apples down. The question i have is about storing the mash. Even with an air lock, can the apples mold if they are floating on the surface? Thats really my main concern.
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 10:08:20 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I would say yes they can mold, my question is if you aren't gonna add yeast to it now why start it now??? Why make it and then just let it sit and take a chance on it getting yucky? Dont make much sense to me.
Offline young gun  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 10:13:59 AM(UTC)
young gun

hahaha no i wasnt letting it sit, i was just writing that note as i was making it. I'm waiting for it to cool then ill put the yeast in and cap it
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 10:59:53 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Oh okay....yeah, I think if the fruit floats and part is above the liquid level thats where it will mold..you no where the air hits it!!!! So I think maybe you might have to stir it often to make sure it dosen't mold. Now once its gets full of etoh that might help with that issue though.
I did a peach/mango brandy wash a while back and used whole fruit but did'nt have any issues so hopefully you wont either."
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:02:45 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Oh okay....yeah, I think if the fruit floats and part is above the liquid level thats where it will mold..you no where the air hits it!!!! So I think maybe you might have to stir it often to make sure it dosen't mold. Now once its gets full of etoh that might help with that issue though.
I did a peach/mango brandy wash a while back and used whole fruit but did'nt have any issues so hopefully you wont either.

I have to take that back...I used fruit necter not whole friut, sorry for the missinformation. I didn't delete the post because the other stuff may be of some use though.

Several years back I used whole fruit and dont remember any issues with it."
Offline Bushy  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:17:29 AM(UTC)
Bushy

I believe that the CO2 that fills the fermenter during fermentation should stop any mold from growing.
My question is why are you leaving whole pieces of fruit in the ferment bucket. All of the fruit mashes I've done I strain out any solid chunks left after the boil and just ferment with the cooked pulp.
Offline young gun  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:38:35 AM(UTC)
young gun

I was leaving the fruit in in hopes of using any sugars or flavorings from it. I don't know if there would be anything of value after being boiled.

The air lock didnt bubble much over the past few days and it was attributed to bad yeast (I didn't store it properly. It needed to be refrigerated but wasn't for about 3 weeks). Before I put good yeast in I strained out all the fruit chunks. It's starting to taste like hard apple cider!
Offline Bushy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:07:28 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hard Cider sounds good. After the mash boils there isn't enough sugar left in the fruit to make any difference in alcohol content and most of the flavor has been removed also..
If your going to store any mash, fermented out, you need to fill the container to the top so there is no air and cap it tightly. If it's unfermented it should be refridgerated quickly and the containers filled to the top as above.