logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Taylorboy  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 8:57:19 AM(UTC)
Taylorboy

Groups: Registered

I have been using turbo yeast but I wanna try the store bought active dry yeast...ive read you can use this yeast but add a can of tomato paste and a lemon for nutrients...any thoughts on this yall?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 9:23:00 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Taylorboy,

I use tomato paste in many of my sugar washes ... it's Mother Nature's very own yeast nutrient. I used to use nothing but baker's yeast and it worked just fine, plus the price is hard to beat. Lately I've been using EC-1118 and playing around with some off-the-beaten-track yeast. But the change wasn't because I didn't like baker's yeast, it was simply because I wanted to try something different.

Take a look at the recipes category ... I believe heeler posted a tomato paste recipe in there. There are several variations on the theme, but they all seem to work well. FWIW: many folks refer to the tomato paste recipe as ""BirdWatcher's Sugar Wash"" (or ""BWSW"" or simply ""BW""). A pinch of Epsom Salt is normally included in most variations as well (I use 1/8 tsp in a 5-6 gallon wash).

Regards,
--JB"
Offline Wewtster  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 2:52:28 PM(UTC)
Wewtster

I use redstar quick rise yeast. 94 percent for three packets. Toss in at roughly 115 f and it works istantly. I'll have bubbles within 10 to 15 mins in the top of my mash.