logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 1:39:38 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Hi All,
I be starting my first (real) run in the PS2HC this weekend and would like some advice from our resident pros (Guru's). I'm a fan of the slow and low process (slow drip, low heat) but after extensive reading am not sure of the actual process.

Here is what I have: PS2HC with 15 gallon kettle. Seperate cooling water systems to the column and liebig. Column is plumbed with the water in at the top and out at the bottom, liebig is plumbed with the water in at the bottom and out at the top. Both have thier own pumps and 32 gallon supplies and both have brass ball valve control. Kettle heat is supplied by two 110v 2000w heating elements on seperate dedicated 20amp circuits with the lower element controlled by a mlcs heavy duty 20amp rsc. Column is fairly tightly packed (packing won't slide out on it's own) with copper and smaller finger sized copper rolls aroung the cross flow tubes.

What I'm hoping to get answers (before I do this run) for is the best way to run this set up so I end up with the best product I can and avoid the issues I had with my sacrificial run (covered below).

On my sacrificial run I had thought I had an issue with my rsc in the var setting (but I think this may be solved) and had to run it at full. I have tested the rsc (thanks JB) and insulated the top of the kettle (not the column). Due to lack of heat control I wound up with a little over a quart of smeared 93%. Also during that run I had column and leibig water flow at about half (not sure if this was right or not). During the run the top of column thermometer went from room temp to above 155f so fast I almost didn't catch it and sent out a large pencil lead sized stream of what I assuming was fores (pulled off 100ml). At this time I killed the power to the top element and switched the rsc to var. Column temp dropped below 100f very fast and I thought I had an issue and switched back to full. A few minutes later column temp came up to 172f and started getting 3-5 drips per second for the 3 hour run. I'm thinking this drip rate was too fast and part of why I got smearing along with the lack of heat control.

So any help on water flow settings, drip rate, heat control would be great and thanks in advance. Hoping to hear from you all soon.
THanks, Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 3:46:01 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

i like a temp. sensor installed in the base of the tower so i can set the power back before things get going.Or do a heat up with the 120 volts--or switch to 120 way before you know it will be up to temp. Dont use the cooling water for anything except to knock down vapor-- a luke warm return is the key. the alcohols emergingwill cause your temperature to rise. minimum heat to boiler-- luke warm cooling water-- a fast drip is good-- i like a slower drip if possible-
Offline Maddawgs  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 4:12:22 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
i like a temp. sensor installed in the base of the tower so i can set the power back before things get going.Or do a heat up with the 120 volts--or switch to 120 way before you know it will be up to temp. Dont use the cooling water for anything except to knock down vapor-- a luke warm return is the key. the alcohols emergingwill cause your temperature to rise. minimum heat to boiler-- luke warm cooling water-- a fast drip is good-- i like a slower drip if possible-

Hi Scotty,
Thanks, I was thinking of installing a temp probe thru the kettle cover so it is above the liquid to monitor temp before just before it hits the column to give me a better indicator of when to kill the power to the top element. " Dont use the cooling water for anything except to knock down vapor-- a luke warm return is the key"--I agree 100% on this just not sure of what I should use for a flow rate (ball valve on full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4) or is this setting just a matter of trial and error. Should I have cooling to both the column and liebig or just one or the other. I did notice that the 32 gallon supply for the column was very warm to hot and the 32 gallon supply for the leibig was luke warm to very warm. I had thought on my sacrificial run that 3-5 drips per second was a bit fast due to the lack of heat control. Is 1-3 drips per second better? Sorry for all the questions just want to be sure I get this run right.
Thanks again, Maddawgs
Offline flht01  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:03:41 AM(UTC)
flht01

Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
...I was thinking of installing a temp probe thru the kettle cover so it is above the liquid to monitor temp before just before it hits the column to give me a better indicator of when to kill the power to the top element. " ...

Maddawgs,

Would you have the temp connection added if you had it to do over again? Just wondering , I'm thinking I could probably have it added to mine since I haven't received a shipping notice yet.
Thanks
Offline Maddawgs  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:10:24 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: flht01 Go to Quoted Post
Maddawgs,

Would you have the temp connection added if you had it to do over again? Just wondering , I'm thinking I could probably have it added to mine since I haven't received a shipping notice yet.
Thanks

Hi flht01,
I'm not sure if bh does this and I didn't even think to ask. If needed I'm just going to drill a hole sized to fit a standard wine cork in the cover next to the column then drill a hole in the cork sized to fit the temp probe. Shouldn't be to difficult to do. You could ask at Brewhaus and see if they will do it. At this point I'm not even sure if it is needed.
Maddawgs
Offline flht01  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:23:23 AM(UTC)
flht01

Do you have room towards the top of the boiler to have a tri-clamp ferrule added? It could double as a temp probe location and a way to refill between runs. Just a thought ...
Offline Maddawgs  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:30:18 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: flht01 Go to Quoted Post
Do you have room towards the top of the boiler to have a tri-clamp ferrule added? It could double as a temp probe location and a way to refill between runs. Just a thought ...

Hi flht01,
I take it apart and clean between runs (wicked clean freak) so no need for a fill port but it is a good idea for those tha do.
Maddawgs
Offline ratflinger  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:41:58 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

Just finished a production run yesterday. I run my 4500w
240v until the temp starts to rise (thermo in rubber bung), (30 min for 8 gal strip & water), yes it jumps from 30* to 70* in a flash, so as soon as it gets above 30* I switch to 120v & let the reflux water rip. Condenser flow is on full always. Reflux for an hour, then shut the reflux water down to just a slow drip. That's usually enough to slowly bring the column to 78* where it stabilizes, very fine adjustment on the water will be enough as the run continues. Depending upon your fermenting speed the heads may be very compressed, I think I pulled about 6 cups of heads (this stated as a 12 gal wash) and then boom, right into the hearts. Pulled about 2/3 gal of hearts before it moved into the tails - switches from a sweet clean taste to a slight bitter aftertaste. These I collect for carbon washing, got another 2/3 gal of this (it's all around 92% abv) and then the harshness steps up another notch. At that point I kill the reflux water & simply strip the remainder & toss back for the next run. I'm adding 1 1/4C soda ash & 3/4C kosher/rock salt to the final run (never during the strip, unless you like ammonia).
Offline Maddawgs  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 10:55:33 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
Just finished a production run yesterday. I run my 4500w
240v until the temp starts to rise (thermo in rubber bung), (30 min for 8 gal strip & water), yes it jumps from 30* to 70* in a flash, so as soon as it gets above 30* I switch to 120v & let the reflux water rip. Condenser flow is on full always. Reflux for an hour, then shut the reflux water down to just a slow drip. That's usually enough to slowly bring the column to 78* where it stabilizes, very fine adjustment on the water will be enough as the run continues. Depending upon your fermenting speed the heads may be very compressed, I think I pulled about 6 cups of heads (this stated as a 12 gal wash) and then boom, right into the hearts. Pulled about 2/3 gal of hearts before it moved into the tails - switches from a sweet clean taste to a slight bitter aftertaste. These I collect for carbon washing, got another 2/3 gal of this (it's all around 92% abv) and then the harshness steps up another notch. At that point I kill the reflux water & simply strip the remainder & toss back for the next run. I'm adding 1 1/4C soda ash & 3/4C kosher/rock salt to the final run (never during the strip, unless you like ammonia).

Hi Rat,
Thanks for the info.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 10:57:08 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Anybody else--JB, heeler. All help is welcome and sought after.
thanks, Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 12:04:47 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Md,

I'm no guru ... but I'll add in my two cents.

Quote:
What I'm hoping to get answers (before I do this run) for is the best way to run this set up so I end up with the best product I can ....

You and me both, brother! LOL I believe you've captured the essence of the hobby!

Just be safe, take your time, and enjoy the run. If you don't like it, dillute it and run it through again.

Let us know how you make out. BTW: what kind of wash are you running?

--JB"
Offline captinjack  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 12:24:57 PM(UTC)
captinjack

"Heck ya, keep it coming good info here...
Captinjack"
Offline Maddawgs  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:37:02 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Hi Md,

I'm no guru ... but I'll add in my two cents.

You and me both, brother! LOL I believe you've captured the essence of the hobby!

Just be safe, take your time, and enjoy the run. If you don't like it, dillute it and run it through again.

Let us know how you make out. BTW: what kind of wash are you running?

--JB

Hi JB,
I'll be running tthe 2 bucket wash from the turbo/sugar mix I had started on New Years Day. I keep you updated.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:33:33 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi All,
Just an update. After a few mishaps Taha Lee is running great. Pulled a cup of fore shots, a cup of heads, and currently pulling 93% hearts at a steady bead (3 drips per second) rate.
Maddawgs